Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I’ve dropped gigs or venues because the fun was no longer there. 
I don’t depend on the money for expenses or bills , in fact I usually put it in a sock for future musical emergencies. And the sock at the moment is fairly flush. 
Music can become a complete misery if the joy is not there.

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LandspeederDave said:

Thanks, gang. I don't know why I let this one get to me so much but it really did. My first gig was in 1988 in a village hall and I've had plenty since then, from pubs to sold-out universities - I was once in a band that had a very, very brief 'moment' before it all went to tits 🙂. I suppose if I analysed it there have been more one-man-and-a-dog incidents than I care to remember and we've always managed to take some fun from it: my traditional greeting of 'I'd like to thank you both for coming' to a small audience (said with a smile, I hasten to add!), testing songs in the live environment. all that.

But the after-effect of this one has left me feeling deflated, for the first time. It's odd but I suppose it's because it was on our doorstep. In a couple of weeks we're playing in Barnstaple, 20 minutes in the other direction and I'm now beginning to dread it, which is pathetic. Oh, I should add  I'm that rare breed: lead singer, main songwriter AND bassist, so maybe I'm just taking it too personally and need to get over myself.

Pfft, listen to me. Grow up man!

But thanks, everyone - much appreciated positive vibes from you all 🙂

Maybe over-thinking it a bit. Try and accept it as a paid rehearsal. Sometimes other things happen, maybe another event on locally. Do the next gig 20 mins away and see how that goes. Sounds like you've put a fair bit of work into this band and i dont hear any complaints from you about the band and its members so i'm guessing all good in that department. Not easy finding good guys to work with so stick with it a while longer.

We all have "down days", its part of being in a band. Let it pass and get back out there with a positive can do attitude and all will be well in "The Shire" again.  👍

Dave

• Like 4

Played a set at the wedding of our guitarist yesterday. Tiny back of a barn so my ABM and Two10S were probably overkill (going to just use the Elf next time in a similar setting, I think), but got some nice compliments on my playing and it was a lot of fun, especially as we got the groom up to play a few of our easier songs.

The other band playing did their first set as an Oasis tribute but then did some awesome covers for their second set. Being the nerd that I am I was pleased to see their bassist using a Barefaced cab, but the One10, which was surprisingly loud but struggled a little against two guitars. He was also playing an unusual Fender bass which looked like an Aerodyne but with a pickguard and a control plate – any ideas?

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 7

Depped with Dire Streets in Dorking Halls on Friday night. Massive hall (pretty full) and huge stage, with a nice easy load in. Most of our IEM receivers were picking up terrible interference (regardless of channel) so we had to go with wedges.

I previously did 2 emergency deps with the band where I read dots (my own transcriptions) but this was my first time doing it all from memory. I’ll admit I made quite a few mistakes, but nothing disastrous. We were very well received, especially by the (possibly inebriated) ladies in the front row - during the moody start to Private Investigations one of them said, ‘Ooh I like this one!’ loud enough to raise a titter in the hall.

The journey home seemed interminable as some idiot had decided to close both the M4 AND the M3!

I’m now learning the entire 2-hour show on rhythm guitar for my next 2 gigs with the band.

Pics show auditorium on arrival, and as we left the stage:

4BE8D54B-A0C9-4559-8C8C-4D07996A0976.thumb.jpeg.3968d249bb269229dae437dfdc5b5f08.jpegIMG_0647.thumb.jpeg.2b9ab8be947f1a120439c3ba53d54faf.jpeg

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

He was also playing an unusual Fender bass which looked like an Aerodyne but with a pickguard and a control plate – any ideas?

Possibly the MIJ non-export model Aerodyne?

ae11_zpsbevohk1c-jpg.2429410

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'm 69 and been doing this at one  level or another since I was 13.

I think about throwing in the towel occasionally.  The thing is , I really can't.  I'm retired and I depend on the  supplement income from gigs. Plus If I quit I'd  have nothing to do.

Blue

Keep going till you drop Daryl. Like you I’ve had ‘challenges’ of late but the mental health benefits outweigh the hearing damage and additional aches and pains - party on dude😂

• Like 3

Wedding at Cheltenham football club last night. It was ok, I wasn’t really feeling it this time tbh. My in ear mix was brilliant but the crowd lacked energy and I made a few silly mistakes (forgot to tune back up after drop D songs) only I noticed, and I fixed it quick, but it shouldn’t have happened. Hey ho. 

IMG_7736.jpeg

IMG_7735.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

I made a few silly mistakes (forgot to tune back up after drop D songs) only I noticed, and I fixed it quick, but it shouldn’t have happened. Hey ho. 

Been there, done that.  That's why I leave little notes to myself on the set list like "TUNE BACK TO E FFS" ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There's the "why is this song sounding fruity as all hell?" bit, followed by the realisation of why it's sounding fruity, followed either by a hasty retune if you're lucky enough to be playing a song with a gap somewhere, or about 3 minutes of mental gymnastics where you have to remember to do everything on the E string in a different place to normal - not fun.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, neepheid said:

There's the "why is this song sounding fruity as all hell?" bit, followed by the realisation of why it's sounding fruity, followed either by a hasty retune if you're lucky enough to be playing a song with a gap somewhere, or about 3 minutes of mental gymnastics where you have to remember to do everything on the E string in a different place to normal - not fun.

I have a drop D tuner on my Spirit headless. I still have to remember to go back to E, but once that instruction has made its way through the synapse closures and diversions, it's one flick of the lever. 😃

1 minute ago, Franticsmurf said:

I have a drop D tuner on my Spirit headless. I still have to remember to go back to E, but once that instruction has made its way through the synapse closures and diversions, it's one flick of the lever. 😃

Yeah, that's a useful get out of jail free card.  I'm too tight to fit one to all five of my basses though - I'd rather buy another bass, having clearly learned nothing :D

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Yeah, that's a useful get out of jail free card.  I'm too tight to fit one to all five of my basses though - I'd rather buy another bass, having clearly learned nothing :D

I'm considering fitting one to my P bass as i only use the drop D for Into the Valley by The Skids. The tuning peg on the E string is very tight too and even tho i've stripped it and greased any moving parts its still the same when tuned up. The other pegs are fine so don't know what's going on with it.

Dave

• Like 1

Couple of nice gigs this weekend. Friday was the Elton John tribute at Northampton Picturedrome - decent sized crowd who were well up for it. Lots of dancing etc. 

And then Saturday did a wedding at the Donkey music pub in Leicester with a recently-formed blues/soul trio  which ended up with guest singers coming to join us etc. Place was rammed. Lots of dancing again! Proper sweaty loud raucous stuff which went down a storm. Most excellent. 👌

377ad75f-2df7-453b-b62a-85c131d65aff.jpeg

IMG_6328.jpeg

• Like 9