Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='bassninja' post='83644' date='Nov 4 2007, 08:19 PM']So how did it go? Ours was a 21st party with people dressed as cowboys penguins and pirates. A bit random...[/quote]
we played in Melton Mowbray on Friday and we had a large crowd and by 11 oclock a very p****d larger crowd mainly women who were attempting to dance but kept falling over. One girl fell over our monitor and head butted the guitarists pedal board she lay there for 5 minutes or so until she was rescued by a guy who was in a worse state than her but it turned out ok in the end and the pedal board was un harmed

never mind we got booked again

[quote name='metaltime' post='177525' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:50 AM']it was immense we just won our heat of battle of the bands cant believe it really.

[b]my pedal board died and i had no bass for half the first song[/b] and i whacked my bass off the roof but it dosnt matter now.[/quote]

How bad must the other bands have been? :)

Serious though... congratulations, nice one!

[quote name='metaltime' post='177525' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:50 AM']it was immense we just won our heat of battle of the bands cant believe it really.

my pedal board died and i had no bass for half the first song and i whacked my bass off the roof but it dosnt matter now.[/quote]

Hey Well done!

So what's the secret? 100 lost tourists re-directed into the club as your fanbase? Bus load of kids from the local 6th form college? bribery?

Gig Preview. Fleece and Firkin, Bristol, 17th of April.

A bit worried. It's weird, I never get nervous before a gig. I have been playing for a good 4 years now and have played 100+ Gigs now. Many different genres, quite a few last minute Deps for original bands (Of which i am now a goto man for depping in Bristol).

However Thursday is different, I joined a band last year and it's my first gig with them. Its a goth rock band, Not my usual sort of thing, but i love the people and i have a reasonable amount of Room to strut my stuff (Am a technical player)

It's an album launch release for us. Its the first time that a gig has meant that much to me. Its the start of our tour. It's my first gig with this band and i dont want to muck up.

I will be playing my Warlock 5 string, through a Marshall Rack stack and 4x10 cab. Backup is from one of my 4 string ironbirds.

However no matter how nervous i am, I will BLOW the audience away, I have been practicing a hell of alot and cant wait to go out there and the give the crowd something to look at. There isent a huge amount of talent in the goth music circle and i want to change that;-)

Also its my first gig in make-up and costume. I'll probably be a bit uncomfortable and i'll probably get foundation in my eyes. Also my brother and all my family and friends will be there... Seeing me in MAKE UP. Lol.

Let you guys know how it goes!

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

supposed to be playing this saturday, but i couldnt do the practice on monday cos i had to work and i have been told i have to work saturday too, so gig cancelled. i'm gutted but i'm pi$$ed off cos now the band are on me back, yeah cheers guys for thinking i dont give a sh*t no more and cant be arsed.

any suggestions on how to deal with this kind of thing if you've had it too

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='177917' date='Apr 16 2008, 02:47 PM']supposed to be playing this Saturday, but I couldn't do the practice on Monday cos I had to work and I have been told I have to work Saturday too, so gig cancelled. I'm gutted but I'm pi$$ed off 'cos now the band are on my back, yeah, cheers guys for thinking I don't give a sh*t any more and can't be arsed.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this kind of thing if you've had it too?[/quote]

Sure, sort yourself out.

It's your problem and they are perfectly justified in getting the hump at this.

If you have committed to play a gig you have to make sure your life works around it. Otherwise don't commit to it.

If your job is so unpredictable then don't play in a gigging band 'til you have a more stable job or get a dep up to speed to be able to jump in at short notice.

That's it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='177938' date='Apr 16 2008, 03:12 PM']Sure, sort yourself out.

It's your problem and they are perfectly justified in getting the hump at this.

If you have committed to play a gig you have to make sure your life works around it. Otherwise don't commit to it.

If your job is so unpredictable then don't play in a gigging band 'til you have a more stable job or get a dep up to speed to be able to jump in at short notice.

That's it.[/quote]

sorry but i disagree. and i'm not the only one with an unpredictable job in our band. if something comes up then something comes up its not like its a form of income (and i aint seen a penny out of it in 1.5years) and its not like we gig alot. we've had practices canceled as we are setting up cos one of them has had to go work and thats a booked hall.
if the place you were playing cancelled then that would be accepted, not liked but accepted and in a year and a half this is the first time anything like this has happened gig wise from our side though we have had a few stopped at the last minute by the venue.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='177987' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:04 PM']sorry but i disagree. and i'm not the only one with an unpredictable job in our band. if something comes up then something comes up its not like its a form of income (and i aint seen a penny out of it in 1.5years) and its not like we gig alot. we've had practices canceled as we are setting up cos one of them has had to go work and thats a booked hall.
if the place you were playing cancelled then that would be accepted, not liked but accepted and in a year and a half this is the first time anything like this has happened gig wise from our side though we have had a few stopped at the last minute by the venue.[/quote]

couldn't you book the time off work for that night?

i work normal hours monday to friday, but sometimes we have work that has an urgent deadline and weekend work has to be done and booking a day off at the weekend cant be done due to the short notice nature of the work. and the band dont pay the bills.

like i say its never happened before and i only get called in rarely it just so happens this one clashes and i aint chosen to do it.

was just looking for a bit of support/advice which i guess i aint gonna get.

i'll get my coat. :)

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='177987' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:04 PM']sorry but i disagree. and i'm not the only one with an unpredictable job in our band. if something comes up then something comes up its not like its a form of income (and i aint seen a penny out of it in 1.5years) and its not like we gig alot. we've had practices canceled as we are setting up cos one of them has had to go work and thats a booked hall.
if the place you were playing cancelled then that would be accepted, not liked but accepted and in a year and a half this is the first time anything like this has happened gig wise from our side though we have had a few stopped at the last minute by the venue.[/quote]

Who said anything about money?

So why are they pi5534 off at you?

Venues can cancel you 'cos you need them more than they need you. Thats a fact of gigging life.
if you bail more than once you will probably never ever get a gig there again, unless you dep in a band. and even then your band will get a reputation for unreliability.

Same with you. If you want to keep your place in the band then you need a strategy to deal with your unpredictable job. or your band are being unreasonable.

Tak ethe initiative, call a meetinga and get an understanding and agreement in place to cover this sort of thing.

As I said, get a mate up to speed to dep for you at the last minute so you don't screw your band again.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='178005' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:25 PM']i work normal hours monday to friday, but sometimes we have work that has an urgent deadline and weekend work has to be done and booking a day off at the weekend cant be done due to the short notice nature of the work. and the band dont pay the bills.

like i say its never happened before and i only get called in rarely it just so happens this one clashes and i aint chosen to do it.

i'll get my coat. :)[/quote]

Oh sorry ..
There there.
Look, mate it happes to us all. We all get stuffed by the work that pays the bills and life often gets in the way of music. Sadly bosses think it's less important to play a gig than hit a deadline ..

That's kinda how it is.

What I'm suggesting IS support, it's a strategy to get you around the problem whilst keeping your place in the band ..

If you do it then you can get the other people with dodgy jobs to do it too ...
Result is a more cohesive band with a better chance of playing more gigs ...

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='178005' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:25 PM']i work normal hours monday to friday, but sometimes we have work that has an urgent deadline and weekend work has to be done and booking a day off at the weekend cant be done due to the short notice nature of the work. and the band dont pay the bills.

i'll get my coat. :)[/quote]

I understand. Ive had to tell my band i cant do Friday nights because of work (compulsory over time)but i still feel rubbish for doing it and i fully expect thme to get a dep in if needed.
I dont see why they should sit at home not earning while i am.

I suppose it all depends on the total level of commitment the band have. If the others were doing it i would not worry too much but if its just me letting them down i would feel bad and fully expect them to get someone in and possible get rid fo me.

But, in your case if its a one off i would say you just need to bite your lip, say sorry and not get angry with them. After all, it is you that's let them down (this time)

IME and IMHO of course.

[quote name='OldGit' post='178008' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:27 PM']Who said anything about money?[/quote]

its been brought up by them

[quote name='OldGit' post='178008' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:27 PM']So why are they pi5534 off at you?[/quote]

cos they think my heart aint in it anymore and i couldnt be arsed to do the gig

we have played the same place free twice before to do them favours

[quote name='OldGit' post='178008' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:27 PM']Same with you. If you want to keep your place in the band then you need a strategy to deal with your unpredictable job. or your band are being unreasonable.

Tak ethe initiative, call a meetinga and get an understanding and agreement in place to cover this sort of thing.

As I said, get a mate up to speed to dep for you at the last minute so you don't screw your band again.[/quote]

like i said it rarely happens and as such is even less likely to clash with our sparse gig list.
i'm as gutted as the rest of them which is why i cant understand this and the subject of getting a dep aint gonna happen as i know no-one and as far as i know they dont either otherwise they would of had them in way before i joined (they had a long break when their last bassist left)

i guess keeping your job is less important for some people.

or maybe i am just an arsehole after all

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='178022' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:40 PM']or maybe i am just an arsehole after all[/quote]

Nah just have a chat.
I'm afraid I made the assumption from your typing style - lack of capitals and punctuation - that you were some 16 year old being required to flip burgers on a gig night and just finding out about life in a band ... but then I read your profile.

So you have a situation that needs sorting. You just have to deal with it.
Some bands just don't fit.

If they had a problem getting a bass player maybe there's a shortage in your area and you can move on, or maybe they are difficult people. Anyway you can only resolve this by talking to each other and agreeing how you will handle this sort of situation when it re-occurs.

If you leave it you will build resentment and that does no band any good.

Actually it was Thursday night and it was at the Zephyr Bar in Huddersfield where we had an excellent and very lively night to a brilliant audience.

Highpoint of the night for me was when a member of the audience came up to the stage and asked the guitarist to move out of the way as he wanted to see the bass player better !!!!!

Only downside was when we got talking about a re-booking and we were advised that they were now looking at paying much less to bands in the future. We fully understand the business aspect of venues and that they have to make a profit so we will see what happens when our gig organiser speaks to the manager during the week. Hopefully we can negotiate a mutually agreeable fee as we get a good crowd in and we really enjoy playing the venue.

Roll on tonight when we play a new venue for us, the Three Horses in Keighley

Hope everyone's gigs go well this weekend

in a word awesome :)
we played my local venue "the worlds end" in Knaresborough last night,it's the very first time i've used my new Ampeg rig in a band situation & man it was absolutley awesome,my bandmates & a fair few punters said my sound was awesome too.
the whole band played really well,especially our drummer who's full of cold,& all band members recieved praise for their performance.the paypacket's not large as its only a small venue but getting £30 each for enjoying ourselves all night has to be a damn good thing.
+ they sell Black Sheep bitter on draught too :huh:
roll on the next gig
cheers.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='180380' date='Apr 19 2008, 12:16 PM']The "Worlds End" is a lovely pub in a beautiful location and I must try to get us a gig there.

Glad to hear you had a good night.

Tony[/quote]

thanks Tony.
aye it's a real nice place to play & always has a freindly atmosphere too.
let me know when you play there & i'll come for a listern & a few beers too.
Neil.

[quote name='WalMan' post='176474' date='Apr 14 2008, 05:44 PM']Was it Mae West who said

Are you in showbusiness? Then get the hell off my stage

:)[/quote]

Here's a picture of WalMan carrying out said order... :huh:
[attachment=7899:crown_058.jpg]

Great gig Al; the G&L sounding sweet and 'White Punks..' is just brilliant!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='180412' date='Apr 19 2008, 12:20 PM']Here's a picture of WalMan carrying out said order... ;)

Great gig Al; the G&L sounding sweet and 'White Punks..' is just brilliant![/quote]
Cheers Nik. It was fun. Different with the twin guitars too. They didn't do too bad having worked them out on speakerphone last week :huh:

Its funny how Tubes fans always seem to come out of the woodwork when we do 'White Punks..'. :)

Have to say I do love the sound of the G&L myself (and ain't she pretty :wub: ). It just sits in there beautifully.

So on to Chichester tonight & hopefully I won't cramp up towards the end like I did last night. Have a good one in Shoreham

Edited by WalMan

Gig at The Fountain, Chichester last night (looks like the same venue that WalMan is playing tonight with the fabulous Alibi: nice posters, btw).

We hadn't played as a 'full band' for about six months, much less rehearsed, but it went really well. Loads of gals dancin' and great jams with good ears from all concerned.

We used to gig tons and tons but now we all have other projects on the go and can rarely get the band together. But its really good to think that after fifteen odd years of playing together, there's a communication that doesn't need to be thought about too much. Just lots of smiles and unpleasant stories about our drummer's escapades in the dodgy boozers of Littlehampton...

Have a good gig, Al...

Thursday - down the jam night to support my mates who where the pre-jammin' band that night.
I got called up to play with a guy playing acoustic and singing. My friend John was drumming and up already and they'd started before I slung on the house band's Jazz and joined in.
The guy was playing a South African township swing tune in Afrikaans .. fortunately it was one of those 1-4-1-5 tunes as borrowed by Paul Simon and Malcolm McClaren so no problems there.. Then I Need You by the Beatles .. slightly more tricky but it's there buried deep in the OldGit memory banks .. Just a case of accessing it .. Got there eventually.

So that was it from me .. It wasn't until I got home later that I realised I'd played it all without a plectrum ... this is a significant thing for me. Using a pick is my comfort zone and finger-style on a strange bass on strange tunes is usually way outside of it ...
Things must be getting better :)

OG

Edited by OldGit