Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

On to v4 of my open source hybrid filter preamp pedal:

Brunk.jpg.76e9bbe41208ce993e70f1e0dea43532.jpg

It's actually meant for desktop duty rather than being an on the floor pedal, and the HPF function is always-on with the rest being bypassable via switch. The next one will use the switch for muting the whole pedal instead.

• Like 3

I’ve got an enclosure that I want to build something into, it’s a bit bigger (footprint) than a 1590BB, I think it’s a 6500 (without measuring it). Anyway, there’s plenty of space basically.

I’d love to build a fairly fully featured bass preamp, probably something quite dirty sounding, kinda like the Sunnbather from Abominable or the BC2 from Suncoast.

Any thoughts on a kit? Would want a PCB rather than a vero build.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Si

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

I’ve got an enclosure that I want to build something into, it’s a bit bigger (footprint) than a 1590BB, I think it’s a 6500 (without measuring it). Anyway, there’s plenty of space basically.

I’d love to build a fairly fully featured bass preamp, probably something quite dirty sounding, kinda like the Sunnbather from Abominable or the BC2 from Suncoast.

Any thoughts on a kit? Would want a PCB rather than a vero build.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Si

Madbean do a sansamp BDDI PCB, I forget the name of it. The growling krizzly would be a good choice too. There's a surprising lack of bass preamp kits around, at least full featured ones with good eq options.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bobbass4k said:

Madbean do a sansamp BDDI PCB, I forget the name of it. The growling krizzly would be a good choice too. There's a surprising lack of bass preamp kits around, at least full featured ones with good eq options.

I already have a Sansamp BDDI, so looking for something Sunn or Pearce based I think. Thanks though :) 

Si

Edited by Sibob

4 hours ago, Sibob said:

I already have a Sansamp BDDI, so looking for something Sunn or Pierce based I think. Thanks though :) 

Si

Pierce or Pearce? If the latter I'll be watching with interest - there is one in the studio (it's not mine though) and it really rocks. Hudson Broadcast clone is good for bass, great sounding grit (it's based on the old broadcast cast consoles of the 60's).

4 hours ago, Sibob said:

I already have a Sansamp BDDI, so looking for something Sunn or Pierce based I think. Thanks though :) 

Si

There's a few Sunn clones, mostly guitar aimed though, fuzzdog do a model T, aion do a beta bass/lead (musikidng aren't selling aion pcbs atm though, just kits)

There's no DIY Pearce unfortunately - i breadboarded it a few years ago but I could never get it to sound quite right. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

My dilemma I've got an unused Hammond 1590BBS (wasn't big enough for the Frog FX1)  that it feels like at some point I should build something in it... but no space on the board any more! :D

At this point you will be advised to get a Zoom MS-60B and get rid of at least two pedals.

9 hours ago, bloke_zero said:

Pierce or Pearce? If the latter I'll be watching with interest - there is one in the studio (it's not mine though) and it really rocks. Hudson Broadcast clone is good for bass, great sounding grit (it's based on the old broadcast cast consoles of the 60's).

Oooo, Pearce! Yup, good catch, I’ll edit my post haha.

Will check out the Hudson too, cheers.

Si

On 05/02/2023 at 12:03, bobbass4k said:

There's a few Sunn clones, mostly guitar aimed though, fuzzdog do a model T, aion do a beta bass/lead (musikidng aren't selling aion pcbs atm though, just kits)

There's no DIY Pearce unfortunately - i breadboarded it a few years ago but I could never get it to sound quite right. 

Yeah I found the Aion, might give that a go perhaps!

That said, shipping is a lot, anyone want one as well and we can split shipping one or two ways?

SORTED

Si

Edited by Sibob

15 hours ago, disssa said:

I made a PCB, but haven't set it up and tested it yet...

Image2.jpg.e8ab5734223b0d23f0826cc9ae4d2cde.jpg

Being able to blend the 2 channels with full control over the relative volumes makes this one of the most successful dirt machines I've heard for bass. Amazing on synth as well - to be able to EQ each channel and then blend to taste: 1 saturated and round, one edgy and distorted - mmm, makes me want to get up and go to the studio right now!

1 hour ago, Passinwind said:

Someone else has finally jumped into my long running open source hybrid filter preamp project with a 125B size version using parts single sourced from Tayda Electronics:

511453942_PassinwindPW3B-LPFv2_125B_3D_Front.png.bf67f4e4c4a1c48c8486ebb62dc5e703.png

would it be possible to get the schematic for this please?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passinwind said:

Someone else has finally jumped into my long running open source hybrid filter preamp project with a 125B size version using parts single sourced from Tayda Electronics:

511453942_PassinwindPW3B-LPFv2_125B_3D_Front.png.bf67f4e4c4a1c48c8486ebb62dc5e703.png

That cap positioning under the IC's is......novel haha.

Si

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Sibob said:

That cap positioning under the IC's is......novel haha.

Si

Yeah, I had missed that he omitted the local bypass caps until after he'd finished everything else up. The 3D render of the other side also shows them there, FWIW.

37 minutes ago, bartelby said:

would it be possible to get the schematic for this please?

It'll be posted up in the Talkbass Wiki shortly, along with the bill of materials. The Gerbers will be available too so one can use any PCB fabricator they choose to. Eventually PedalPCB will have their own version as well. For whatever reason this whole project seems more popular outside the US, so I've been trying to accommodate that and move beyond my personal favorite parts vendors over here. And most people just don't want to mess with SMD parts, which I have been using more and more myself, and that's fine. Mostly I'm just happy to have someone else doing the grunt work, especially the documentation. I'm not all that fast with it and it consumes a pretty silly amount of my time.

This week I'm working on one for upright bass, where my preliminary tests have challenged conventional wisdom on input impedance for piezo pickups pretty seriously. But I need to sit down with the owner of that bass and do some systematic A/B work, which I hope to get to by next week. She has a wonderful carved bass and any excuse I get to play it is very welcome!

• Like 6