Why become a member? ×

Decent headphones

Musicman20

Can anyone suggest a nice set of headphones for using when playing along to tracks on my RH450?

I use an old set of Pioneers which seem ok...not sure what ill get by upgrading but I thought id ask. They are literally 14 years old but actually still look new!

Anyway, I think budget is no more than £60/70...

Cheaper would be nice! But I dont want to compromise on quality.

Thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' post='755966' date='Feb 24 2010, 11:58 AM']Can anyone suggest a nice set of headphones for using when playing along to tracks on my RH450?

I use an old set of Pioneers which seem ok...not sure what ill get by upgrading but I thought id ask. They are literally 14 years old but actually still look new!

Anyway, I think budget is no more than £60/70...

Cheaper would be nice! But I dont want to compromise on quality.

Thanks[/quote]

Slightly over your budget but I recently got a pair of Sony MDR-XB700 headphones. Seriously good clear bass and very comfortable to wear. Perhaps you could get to try some in a Sony Centre somewhere.

I've got some sennhesier hd595's at the moment, but I use them for eveything not just practicing, and they're amazing, I can wear them all day and not even notice, the hd595's are quite a ways out of your budget, but I'd definitley reccomend sennhesier.

I'd be wary of the mdr-v700's to be honest, I had 2 sets and both broke in exactly the same way after a couple of months, and they were quite uncomfortable to wear for a long time, BUT they sounded absolutely amazing, you can feel the bass rattling your skull, hence why I bought a second set after the first broke. If you hunt around you can probably find them at that pricepoint

I like my AKG K240's three years old now, sound good and it's easy to find replacement parts.

Cheapest I've found are at: [url="http://www.studiocare.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=63583&zenid=5rumevjeb1vfkgl72uvuca76m0"]http://www.studiocare.com/store/index.php?...fkgl72uvuca76m0[/url]

Which is less than I paid for mine!!

Cheers

Charla

Best ive used are Grado SR60i. These are open backed though so not ideal if someone else is in the room. Quite bassy but not muddy with Very full tone.
I mainly use Sennheiser HD 215's as my PC is in the living room so normally someone has the TV on. Not as good but they do help keep the noise in and out.
I have just started using my Shure SE110's at home as these really do keep the noise in and out but as they are in ear phones they are a bit bass shy. Still very nice and a bit cleaner than my other headphones.

My son has some Sennheiser HD 201's and they sound ok but a bit thin and boxy IMO and not as good at the 215's.

Sorted AND was UNDER BUDGET for once :)

5/5 Stars in all the reviews incl user reviews and the 'What Hifi' Reviews.

Retailed for £159.99, play.com keep having them cropping up brand new in the sales for £49.99!

Goldring NS1000

[url="http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8240767/Goldring-NS1000-Active-Noise-Reduction-Cancelling-Headphones/Product.html"]http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...es/Product.html[/url]

Missed by a few hours, but still to note: I have a Technics RP-F550. A fairly old model, however, still can be found on clearance sales on the net. It is budget, light, and comfy. But the best part is the frequency range of 8-30K Hz, i.e., that [u]low end[/u] is rather hard to find even in top-price headphones, and is quite handy with the bass:). That and the Vox Bass are a very practical duo.