Why become a member? ×

humbucking jazz pickups

Tait

i'm just wondering why you never see humbucking pickups that fit into a jazz size pickup.

i mean, you get pickups like these for strats -

and dimarzio do these for precision -

but i really can't find any similar, jazz shaped, pickups.

i'm not looking to buy any, its just something i've always wondered about, because to me, it seems like a good idea. is there any reason why they don't do these? or do someone do them, and i've just missed them?

Well, I just happen to be about to swap a pair of these:

out of my backup bass. They are Joe Barden Jazz pickups and are double-rail humbuckers just as you've indicated above.

They sound very vintage, but carry great detail throughout the whole tonal range and have extended bass & treble responses.

They sound great and are, of course, totally silent. I've gigged them about 5 times. Check out the costs - these are not cheap.

I'f you're interested, PM me.

Geoff

Edited by geoffbyrne

Ill have a review up soon but wizard have just started making the rather amazing 'gaffer'. Which is a split coil p bass style humbucker in a jazz casing, I have two, one in each jazz neck location, and they sound huge!! Solo'd they turn my jazz into a big, fat snarly p bass (think jj burnel, green day) roll back the tone and it nails that vintage tone beautifully. I've also found that if you get the balance with the bridge just right it really adds depth and bite to the both pickups on full core tone. Can't recommend it enough for any jazz. Don't think they are on the website yet, although will be soon, but if you call or email wizard and ask for a gaffer Andy will sling you one. They are silent and look nice too with raised poles and a nice rounded edged casing.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='753465' date='Feb 22 2010, 07:19 AM']Ill have a review up soon but wizard have just started making the rather amazing 'gaffer'. Which is a split coil p bass style humbucker in a jazz casing, I have two, one in each jazz neck location, and they sound huge!! Solo'd they turn my jazz into a big, fat snarly p bass (think jj burnel, green day) roll back the tone and it nails that vintage tone beautifully. I've also found that if you get the balance with the bridge just right it really adds depth and bite to the both pickups on full core tone. Can't recommend it enough for any jazz. Don't think they are on the website yet, although will be soon, but if you call or email wizard and ask for a gaffer Andy will sling you one. They are silent and look nice too with raised poles and a nice rounded edged casing.[/quote]
I REALLY like the sound of these...

They are basiclly the reason I moved from active basses and loads of different basses to entirely playing my simple passive jazz's. They transformed the sound of my jazz basses into something so spot on I really feel I'm sorted. .. Till I can afford another pair to go in each bridge location also! ;-)
(my friend Dave, .. Davemuadib on here has one in the bridge on a jazz bass special and it really burbles in a somewhat stingrayis. Sorta way, can't wait to hear a bass with two!)

Edited by gafbass02

I'm hopeless at describing sound :) I found the Delanos very punchy - chest thumpingly so, they sounded crisp, definitely hi-fi and with a high output - it still sounded like a Jazz but on steroids. I could get every sound I wanted out of it from dub to face frying treble.

I'd definitely recommend them - I'd still have that Shuker if it had 5 strings. bobpalt has it now - perhaps he can describe the sound better than me.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='753569' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:49 AM']I had a Shuker Jazz with Delano humbuckers - it sounded absolutely sublime and they looked really cool too.

[/quote]

am turning my SX75 jazz bass into a fretless and was thinking about changing the colour of the body.

love the colour of that jazz, what is it`s "official" shade (you know what i mean) :)

Yeah i have stacked nordstrand humbuckers in my shuker jazz bass.. dont think they fit a normal jazz space though, but they would be well worth the routing

[quote name='Mog' post='754230' date='Feb 22 2010, 06:59 PM']Haven't stacked jazz style humbuckers been around for a few years now?[/quote]

Seymour Duncan do the Hot Stack for Jazz, awesome sounding pup. I put those in both of my custom-made 5er's neck slot with a big fat MM in the bridge.
Bloody great, esp with a rotary to single/parallel/series them.

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/[/url]

OK, something appears to be weird with their website at time of posting this. Things keep popping up and then disappearing.
When it's working... there's the regular Stack for Jazz in the normal section, and (IIRC) the Hot Stack for Jazz under "progressive"

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='754180' date='Feb 22 2010, 06:30 PM']am turning my SX75 jazz bass into a fretless and was thinking about changing the colour of the body.

love the colour of that jazz, what is it`s "official" shade (you know what i mean) :)[/quote]

I dunno TBH - is it daphne blue? Sonic blue is lighter I think.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='753465' date='Feb 22 2010, 07:19 AM']Ill have a review up soon but wizard have just started making the rather amazing 'gaffer'. Which is a split coil p bass style humbucker in a jazz casing, I have two, one in each jazz neck location, and they sound huge!! Solo'd they turn my jazz into a big, fat snarly p bass (think jj burnel, green day) roll back the tone and it nails that vintage tone beautifully. I've also found that if you get the balance with the bridge just right it really adds depth and bite to the both pickups on full core tone. Can't recommend it enough for any jazz. Don't think they are on the website yet, although will be soon, but if you call or email wizard and ask for a gaffer Andy will sling you one. They are silent and look nice too with raised poles and a nice rounded edged casing.[/quote]

Looking forward to your review and maybe, soundclips too :)
Those pickups sound very interesting...umm

So how do stacked humbuckers sound different to the two coils next to each other? I guess i never realised just how many stacked humbuckers there were out there, although admittedly i was aware of at least one mentioned (the seymour duncan hot stack) and just forgot about it.