Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker Vs Stingray Vs Warwick

jonnyfastfingers

I used to play with my old band a few years ago and had a Rickenbacker and Stingray. We played indie and rock, and they hated the Stingray sound but loved the Rick, I prefered playing the Stingray but the sound of the Rick.

The thing is when I left the band the bassist who replaced me used a MM Sub and they thought that sounded great, but I could only achieve a trebley-punchy effect with my Stingray?

Now we've reformed and I am using an American Deluxe P-Pass which gives me an all-round sound that I'm hapy with. I am looking to get another guitar to give me some variation and don't know what to get?

I could get a Jazz but don't really want two Fenders but I really want something that will give me something the P-Bass can't.

Logic is telling me to get a passive (as the P-Bass is active) and a thinner faster neck, therefore a Warwick although I have no experience with these.

I'm quite confused and could do with peoples thoughts.

Edited by jonnyfastfingers

[quote name='jonnyfastfingers' post='751624' date='Feb 20 2010, 10:37 AM']I used to play with my old band a few years ago and had a Rickenbacker and Stingray. We played indie and rock, and they hated the Stingray sound but loved the Rick, I prefered playing the Stingray but the sound of the Rick.

The thing is when I left the band the bassist who replaced me used a MM Sub and they thought that sounded great, but I could only achieve a trebley-punchy effect with my Stingray?

Now we've reformed and I am using an American Deluxe P-Pass which gives me an all-round sound that I'm hapy with. I am looking to get another guitar to give me some variation and don't know what to get?

I could get a Jazz but don't really want two Fenders but I really want something that will give me something the P-Bass can't.

Logic is telling me to get a passive (as the P-Bass is active) and a thinner faster neck, therefore a Warwick although I have no experience with these.

I'm quite confused and could do with peoples thoughts.[/quote]

Try a Warwick Corvette $$. It will shake your world. It has a passive switch too, but what's the point? Mine can be a complete thug or a sweet and gentle as a buttercup at the flick of a switch and the turn of a button.

Edited by silddx

if you want a rick-ish sound, a warwick $$ probably wouldn't be the way i'd go.... ricks have a nice mid-honk, something my $$ doesn't really have that much of, at least get something with a 3 band EQ. Also warwicks don't really have "fast" necks... you really want to try before you buy with warwick, seriously. They're nothing like ricks or stingrays (i find both ricks and stingrays absolute pigs to play though, so you may like a 'wick like i do).

i'm completely biased against Riki's and for Warwicks.
Don't understand the appeal of Riki's either aesthetically or sonically. I'd stick with the Fender if you want an all rounder and the Warwick if you want to go off on a tangent.
It doesn't really matter though because we all now know that core tone is a load of crap. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='752154' date='Feb 20 2010, 08:13 PM']i'm completely biased against Riki's and for Warwicks.
Don't understand the appeal of Riki's either aesthetically or sonically. I'd stick with the Fender if you want an all rounder and the Warwick if you want to go off on a tangent.
It doesn't really matter though because [b]we all now know that core tone is a load of crap[/b]. :rolleyes:[/quote]
indeed.... :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='752071' date='Feb 20 2010, 07:09 PM']if you want a rick-ish sound, a warwick $$ probably wouldn't be the way i'd go.... ricks have a nice mid-honk, something my $$ doesn't really have that much of, at least get something with a 3 band EQ. Also warwicks don't really have "fast" necks... you really want to try before you buy with warwick, seriously. They're nothing like ricks or stingrays (i find both ricks and stingrays absolute pigs to play though, so you may like a 'wick like i do).[/quote]
Oddly enough I found that my corvette $$ had one of the fastest necks I've ever played! Each to their own of course :)
Certainly agree with the try before you buy though, they seem to polarise opinion (I just happen to be a lover of them)

[quote name='jonnyfastfingers' post='751624' date='Feb 20 2010, 10:37 AM']The thing is when I left the band the bassist who replaced me used a MM Sub and they thought that sounded great, but I could only achieve a trebley-punchy effect with my Stingray?[/quote]
If your Stingray was a 3-band EQ model, that could make a huge difference, because the SUBs were all 2-band, which are voiced really quite differently. Also, IIRC, the SUB pickups were wired in series and the Stingray's in parallel. A MM Sterling might be an option for you: it gives you the pickup-switching options of series, parallel and single-coil.

[quote name='josh3184' post='752312' date='Feb 20 2010, 11:05 PM']Oddly enough I found that my corvette $$ had one of the fastest necks I've ever played! Each to their own of course :)
Certainly agree with the try before you buy though, they seem to polarise opinion (I just happen to be a lover of them)[/quote]
Well, that kind of is and isn't what i meant. It has a nice thin jazz profile, and i feel really comfortable on it, but with how deep it is, i wouldn't say it was "fast" like a jazz bass or something similar as it would be a little deceptive. But yeah, i love my warwick necks, they're just SOOOOOOO comfy!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='752346' date='Feb 20 2010, 11:31 PM']Can? Please, for the love of god, tell me that you [b]don't[/b].[/quote]

+1 Lovely piece of music spoilt by a ponce with long hair and a Strat......

And to the OP, cant really help you with your qunadry but it does sound like if the 'ray was too brite you should've tried it with flats.

Just my opine of course....

If you like a Ric sound but the neck of a Stingray have a look at a Vigier Excess they get so close to the Ric sound just ask Roger Glover and the build quality is second to none with no dead spots on the neck due to the 10/90 neck, The $$ won't get you that sound and is a more woody organic sound but still is a decent bass for the money.

Personally? Id choose the Stingray....on looks and tone. Not only that, it seems my Rays almost play themselves...so sensitive I can play very lightly.

The Rick...well Ive always wanted one, but I wont get one. Why? The dreaded problems I hear about. Necks/finish/binding...etc etc. Just cannot be bothered. They LOOK and SOUND fabulous though.

The Warwick? I wouldnt mind a Corvette $$ or Streamer $$...but I really need to play the necks first. My opinion, if you struggle to play a neck, it means more than likely a technique adjustment is in order, and it might help build more muscles in your hands...(thats just a guess).

Im used to P necks and my hands are small.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='752650' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:27 AM']If you like a Ric sound but the neck of a Stingray have a look at a Vigier Excess they get so close to the Ric sound just ask Roger Glover and the build quality is second to none with no dead spots on the neck due to the 10/90 neck, The $$ won't get you that sound and is a more woody organic sound but still is a decent bass for the money.[/quote]

A +1 for Vigier. Build quality? Off the meter. You might well score a second-hand Passion or Arpege (S2 or S3) for the cost of a new 'Ray..
Then you're [i]really[/i] going to get a superb bass.