Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Affirma AFR 105

ialma

Very rare Ibanez AFFIRMA 105 in mint conditions.
It's the first time I see one for sale on this forum.
Extremely sought after (1000 copies only) Saman body & matching headstock with a beautiful wood grain.

"This series was designed by Swiss luthier, Rolf Spuler. His design incorporates a neck that extends half-way through the body with individual bridges for each string. There is a thumb slot, a pearl/abalone AFR insignia, and a pearl block with Ibanez and the serial number inscriptions inlaid into the body, located between the single coil pickup and the bridge system.

After some discussions and evaluations [s]I think 900£ could be a more correct starting price[/s], but I'm open to offers.

Let's try with [s]800£[/s], 750£ or the equivalent in €

Shipping NOT included. Ask for a quote (no more than 40£ to England though)

Trades ? Yes, I'd love a Zon (+ cash on my side), but it's a kind of long shot I'm open to offers.

Thank you

[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Ibanez/AFR-305/10/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...ez/AFR-305/10/1[/url]

Edited by ialma

I'll get the inevitable response out the way early:

nah, i think it's only worth about a tenner. i'll buy it off you :)

as for a serious response. lovely looking bass, what are the bits on the back control cavity cover?

Edited by wotnwhy

The Ergodyne series is similar but not identical because Rolf Spuler retained the rights on body shape and construction, so Ibanez went for a similar luthite body shape and a bolt on neck.
Of course the AFR and the Ergodyne cannot be compared.

Matte_black : I've seen recently these basses for sale for more than 1500€.
I've been looking for this bass for ages before finding it.

wotnwhy : the bits on the back control cavity cover control the single piezo pickups volumes. Previous owner lost the plastic cover.

Edited by ialma

Its not so much what the bass is up for sale for. Generally the reason they are for sale is because people wont buy it for the price displayed. Its only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it. You want to look at Affirmas that have sold and take an average price from that.

In this case i reckon £600 but thats my own guess.

Shockwave : since it's not a very common instrument I have literally no references to state a price. I've never seen an Affirma sold either here or on Talkbass. If you have any other idea where I may look for a ballpark price, is more than welcome.

Matte_black : thank you (nice basses you build, looks like we live only 250 km away)

[quote name='Matte_black' post='750776' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:32 PM']It's worth about £800. I had one many years ago... these basses have an awesome feel, nothing to share with the other Ibanez instruments.
Spoombung was looking for an AFR but in 4 strings configuration, I fear. Anyway... very nice instrument![/quote]

[quote name='Shockwave' post='751040' date='Feb 19 2010, 03:56 PM']Its not so much what the bass is up for sale for. Generally the reason they are for sale is because people wont buy it for the price displayed. Its only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it. You want to look at Affirmas that have sold and take an average price from that.

In this case i reckon £600 but thats my own guess.[/quote]

Surely the OP has put a price on and I was under the impression that the rules are that PMs are appropriate if you disagree with the valuation!

I've been looking for a 4 string version of one of these so it's unfortunately no good to me. :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='751135' date='Feb 19 2010, 05:16 PM']Surely the OP has put a price on and I was under the impression that the rules are that PMs are appropriate if you disagree with the valuation![/quote]

He asked (publicly) for an opinion on his price I found it unreasonable (to me) and like others gave him a different figure.

However, if someone posts a bass for sale with a solid price (Not asking for an opinion) and someone criticises the price in public then that could be a warnable offense.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='751146' date='Feb 19 2010, 05:23 PM']He asked (publicly) for an opinion on his price I found it unreasonable (to me) and like others gave him a different figure.

However, if someone posts a bass for sale with a solid price (Not asking for an opinion) and someone criticises the price in public then that could be a warnable offense.[/quote]

Sold my 5 string afr 105 for £780 .They're a quality handmade instrument and light as a feather on a strap.
The bit's on the control cavity are individual piezo gain controls.
Good luck with the sale!

Thank you, no need to start a riot here :)
I was sincerely asking for a price evaluation here and so every kind of comment has been more than welcome.
Of course stating that the bass may be worth only 600£ when I asked for an evaluation is not disagreeing with my price tag.
It could be nice to have comments from people who actually owned and/or sold a similar instrument, so thanks everyone for their suggestions, really.
I think the tag price now is fairly more correct, and I'm always ready to discuss it.

Walplayer : thank you. how long ago did you sell the AFR ?

Edited by ialma

[quote name='Shockwave' post='751146' date='Feb 19 2010, 05:23 PM']He asked (publicly) for an opinion on his price I found it unreasonable (to me) and like others gave him a different figure.

However, if someone posts a bass for sale with a solid price (Not asking for an opinion) and someone criticises the price in public then that could be a warnable offense.[/quote]

Sorry but when I viewed the first post it HAS a fixed price on; I assume this was edited after comments were posted. Either way there is now a fixed price so we'll wish ialma good luck with his sale. :)

If this can help you somehow, a four string was for sale in USA (not on TB) for 250$ not later than six months ago.
Obviously the fool had no idea what he was selling.
I wanted to buy it (beautiful grain also) but "nah man I don't ship, only local sale!"

[quote name='Bassassin' post='751319' date='Feb 19 2010, 08:59 PM']About 5 years ago I was watching one of these on Ebay - very badly listed, it was.
It sold for about £120.
And I missed it.
[b]I MISSED IT.[/b]
Jon.[/quote]

Thanks!
I love the wood grain (much better than the catalogue one!) which you can see here

[url="http://www.oliver-pfaender.de/guitar/ibanezcatalogs/Ibanez_1991_AFR/"]http://www.oliver-pfaender.de/guitar/ibane...banez_1991_AFR/[/url]

On the respected vintage guitars site Hendrixguitars
[url="http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Hxbass.htm"]http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Hxbass.htm[/url]
requested price for a mint conditions 5 strings is actually 1750€

[quote name='ialma' post='758424' date='Feb 26 2010, 05:31 PM']The lack of interest for this bass is absolutely stunning...
I really thought it would have gone in a breeze[/quote]

I think modern shapes are having bit of a hard time at the moment, the current fashion in the UK is for the vintage look.

On top of that the UK economy isn't the best right now so basses seem to be taking longer to shift.

Looks like a great bass - I'm sure a buyer will turn up!

Edited by rjb

Saw one go on eBay around the £500 marker a year or so ago... If this was that price I'd have it now!

I think the valuation is about right for Its 'worth', but getting what an instrument is worth at the mo seems impossible...

Bump for what looks to be a perfect example of a fantastic bass

Shep