Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wizard thumper or SD SPB-3 Quarter Pounder

neptunehealer

I am having a bit of a dilemma, i currently have a SD Quarter Pounder unopened from the packaging at mine.
I am think of getting a fender P-Bass 2009 model and whacking one of these pups in.
Obviously before i pay someone to install them, i want to know which one gives the best sound.
I haven't heard what the thumper sounds like but hear it's a good pup.
I also don't really like the 'basslines' logo on the SD, but i like the fact it will give me more presence in the mix.

So shall i sell my SD and opt for a thumper, or shall i uses the SD which is already at home?

By the way i play in adiverse cover band.

Thanks

Nep

[quote name='neepheid' post='750614' date='Feb 19 2010, 10:26 AM']If you like the sound of the QP but hate the look of the logo then you should be able to rub the logo off with some T-cut/Safe Cut. Might take a while, but all you're doing is accelerating what happens naturally anyway :)[/quote]

Very true, i don't like the sound of the SPB-3 on some youtuvbe clips, they can sound too trebly.
But i am hoping with a bit of eq, and rolling the tone off a little, might achieve a nice balance.
I also play finger style so that may reduce this problem.
Just want to know other people opionion on what i should do.

I generally like SD pickups...but not the QP. To me it just didn't sound like a Pbass - more like a Pbass through the old Trace pre-shape - all nasty highs and thumpy lows (that get you turned down or over compressed...). I'd always go for a more traditional Pbass sound with plenty of "notice me" mid range. My fav is the old DiMarzio model P. Like a good Pbass sound, but just a little bit more.

[quote name='BassBod' post='750637' date='Feb 19 2010, 10:43 AM']I generally like SD pickups...but not the QP. To me it just didn't sound like a Pbass - more like a Pbass through the old Trace pre-shape - all nasty highs and thumpy lows (that get you turned down or over compressed...). I'd always go for a more traditional Pbass sound with plenty of "notice me" mid range. My fav is the old DiMarzio model P. Like a good Pbass sound, but just a little bit more.[/quote]

+1 to all of that. I had a P with Quarterpounders in, and if and if anything it had less presence in the mix due to the loss of mids.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='750687' date='Feb 19 2010, 11:26 AM']Haven't bought the bass yet, but heard that the stock pups are a bit on the quiet side.
I will give them a chance first though.
Ok, i am slightly getting put off these SD's, iam tempted to try the Wizard Area 51 Stealth option, any feedback on these?[/quote]

I've had both the SD Quarterpounder and the Area 51 (in different basses though).

The SD 1/4er is a really high output P pickup but I'd agree that it's a definite move away from the "traditional" Precision tone. I felt it was almost "active" sounding, the scooped mids and enhanced highs/lows tend to work really well in some situations but not in others. Ironically, quite close to an EMG Precision pickup I had despite it being a passive.

When I got my 62 reissue precision, I wanted something high output and a little more open sounding so spoke to Andy at Wizard and he wound me one of the first Area 51 Stealths. He also distressed and aged the pickup covers a little so it matched the vibe of the bass. Looked old school but sounded really upfront and modern.

I found that the Area 51 sounded fantastic whatever I did to it. With the tone rolled off, the Precision "thump" was there in spades. With the tone and vol all the way up and me hitting the bass with a plectrum through a big amp, it totally nailed the "rock" tone.

Personally, I'd go down the Wizard route. Andy is a genius, he really works with you to give you exactly what you want and they're such great value when you compare it against an imported SD or Nordstrand.

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='750815' date='Feb 19 2010, 12:56 PM']I've had both the SD Quarterpounder and the Area 51 (in different basses though).

The SD 1/4er is a really high output P pickup but I'd agree that it's a definite move away from the "traditional" Precision tone. I felt it was almost "active" sounding, the scooped mids and enhanced highs/lows tend to work really well in some situations but not in others. Ironically, quite close to an EMG Precision pickup I had despite it being a passive.

When I got my 62 reissue precision, I wanted something high output and a little more open sounding so spoke to Andy at Wizard and he wound me one of the first Area 51 Stealths. He also distressed and aged the pickup covers a little so it matched the vibe of the bass. Looked old school but sounded really upfront and modern.

I found that the Area 51 sounded fantastic whatever I did to it. With the tone rolled off, the Precision "thump" was there in spades. With the tone and vol all the way up and me hitting the bass with a plectrum through a big amp, it totally nailed the "rock" tone.

Personally, I'd go down the Wizard route. Andy is a genius, he really works with you to give you exactly what you want and they're such great value when you compare it against an imported SD or Nordstrand.

T[/quote]

So would you say in comparsion is the Area 51 more versatile and suitable for a cover band situation then, you know beatles to blink 182 and a bit of funk?

Gonna say it again, baring in mind you seemingly haven't played the bass that containt the pickup you're looking to replace, what elements of the original are you trying to improve upon in a gigging situation?. That will help to narrow down the field a bit! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='750857' date='Feb 19 2010, 01:16 PM']Gonna say it again, baring in mind you seemingly haven't played the bass that containt the pickup you're looking to replace, what elements of the original are you trying to improve upon in a gigging situation?. That will help to narrow down the field a bit! :)

Si[/quote]

yes hopefully the pup in the new bass will be fine, just getting my back up plan sorted as i have heard negative things thats all.
I want more presence in the mix, but not to be too trebly, just right if that makes sense.

I had a 2008 P5 and loved the stock pup.
I play in a couple of covers band and i really cant see (hear!) any problems with the Fender pup.

Its a different tone to the SD and i expect the wizard but it gives the P bass a P bass tone so for me that was good enough.
Ive recently got a Lakland DD (a P bass) and that came with a Lakland pup in it. I didnt quite get on with that so put a Fralin in it. The Fralin is pretty close to the Fender pups, both use the same type of magnets.
for me the Fralin is the best pup ive had in a P bass and while they aren't cheap i would get another if i had to.

Ill go with Si and say wait until you get the bass. A lot of people do rate the latest Fender pups so it might be all you need, especially if you are doubting the SD now.

[quote name='Sibob' post='750857' date='Feb 19 2010, 01:16 PM']Gonna say it again, baring in mind you seemingly haven't played the bass that containt the pickup you're looking to replace, what elements of the original are you trying to improve upon in a gigging situation?. That will help to narrow down the field a bit! :)

Si[/quote]

+1 on this. I'm not sure that a quiet pick-up is an issue on any modern amp as this should be sorted by properly adjusting the input volume. It's the basic sound of the pick-up which would be the reason to make any change and it's only until you have tried the bass with stock pups are you going to know whether you need to change it, and why.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='751002' date='Feb 19 2010, 03:34 PM']Don't pay some one to change them, easy to do yourself in a P bass, just try them. Easy to sell if you don't like 1/4lbers.[/quote]

Well i haven't a clue how to change them and am scared of messing it up.
The bass i am after is the 2009 Fender P-bass, the reason i am pre-judging the pups is because it's a mexican model.
The SD's are in the actual delvery packaging, so i may sell them on here.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='751019' date='Feb 19 2010, 03:45 PM']Well i haven't a clue how to change them and am scared of messing it up.
The bass i am after is the 2009 Fender P-bass, the reason i am pre-judging the pups is because it's a mexican model.
The SD's are in the actual delvery packaging, so i may sell them on here.[/quote]

Scariest part is soldering, and its not fiddly, and there is not much scope for doing it wrong there unless you lick the iron or something. Is just a whole bunch of removing screws, and then putting them back.

I fitted some QPs to an old mij p bass that did have DiMarzios in it,big volume difference and really punchy modern sound.Didn't think the treble was ott especilly finger styley,agree with another BCer they almost do seem active due to output.I do think they did have a great P sound to them also.I havent had experience of the other pick up but would happily use QPs again