Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sterling refinish!

sshorepunk

Hi

Some of you may have seen the MM Sterling with the laquer crack for sale last week, well I ended up buying it!
I figured it may be more than a laquer crack as I've seen the exact same thing before (on a Conklin bill dickens bass). The area around the control cavity is prone to cracking due to the large area of wood that is missing. It's an easy fix done by opening up the split and hetting as much Isophalic resin in there as is possible, the clamped up until dry. Ends up stronger than the surrounding woood, I am told!

I am going to get the bass refinished once this is done. Thinking about going the same route as the new classic 'rays and sterlings!
Bass is currently sunburst with a maple fretboard, so considering sonic blue (or powder blue on the new MM models)in nitro, with a tort plate!
I'm very much into retro colours these days (you seen my sea foam green jazz? :-) ) whites are cool, especially off whites, like the buttercream MM did a few years back, What do you guys think?

End result will be a cool looking bass at less than the price of a used stock coloured sterling!

Tony

Tbh you need to check what the cost of repair + refinish is going to cost you. A pro job is going to cost you a couple of hundred and that then pushes the total cost of bass + refin to the point where it'd cost more than just getting one in your favoured colour (assuming that they are available in that colour :) ). Purely from a personal point of view (and considering personal experience of refinishing basses that I ended up NOT keeping :rolleyes: ), I'd say leave as is and use it or sell it and get the colour you wanted!

Just an opinion. :lol:

Nice colour!

It all adds up right, I got a good refinisher contact and the price is right, making it cost effective, so that side of it is fine, I saw some of his work tonight as he has done a fair bit for the guitarist in my band. This guy is good from what I've seen, but he does it more as a passtime as his regular job involves spraying and keeps him way too busy to do this sort of thing full time, apparently he really enjoys doing guitars!

The finished price is gonna come in less than the average ebay price and I'll be getting a similar colour to the new EB classic basses!

Just gotta make a decision on the colour

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

I had to do something similar to an old Vigier bass I owned. I bought it from new, but there was a minor ding in the body, so i got it discounted. After a couple of months the body literally split right where control cavity was. I got it repaired by the shop and they used the same method. Very good fix and yes, the repaired area was stringer than the body.

BUT, the repaired showed up as a different colour under strong light. So, bear this is mind when choosing how you're going to get it refinished. When I got my basses refinished, they got about 4 black base coats, then the candy coats and then several coats of automotive lacquer. I'd definitely recommend several white or black base coats to properly mask the repair.

I'll put you in touch with the guy who did my respray if you like - he did a fantastic job.

Thx for the advice!

The thread was intended for colour opinions! I wouldn't refinish a bad bass and wouldn't chuck a high amount of $$ at a bass when I could buy one for less, been doing the bass thing for too long ;-)

Torn between powder blu and bttercream style off white, both with a tort' plate!

It should go in next week, I'll do the usual beofre and after stuff

Tony

Not wishing to hijack the thread but roughly how much is a refinish? I'm after a Lakland Skyline but don't like a lot of the limited colours, although it's wasted money I have thought about buying one and having it changed to a colour I like.

R.

[quote name='Rumple' post='744629' date='Feb 14 2010, 10:57 AM']Not wishing to hijack the thread but roughly how much is a refinish?[/quote]

Depends if you are paying for the guy spraying it, to do all of the strip down (neck, bridge, electrics etc.) and if he is having to do all of the stripping/sanding. A straight forward spray job of a solid colour onto a body blank might be £50 +paints but a professional who will be doing the full job can easily charge a couple of hundred; iirc I paid about £250 to have a NT Warwick sprayed and that was a top quality job with quite a few hours of prep.

Re: price of a refin!

I got a quote from the tech who works in PMT at Salford and it was £200
Another quote from [url="http://paulcuthbertguitars.co.uk/"]http://paulcuthbertguitars.co.uk/[/url] and that was around the £150 mark

The guy who is doing mine is less, but then he doesn't do it full time, but good at what he does

@waynepunkdude - yes, I agree :-)

Tony

i'd say daphne blue and plain white pickguard.
looks very nice with a maple fingerboard:

or surf green and white pickguard:

but if you want the classic look, than how about piano black.
always looks good i think.

Edited by green

• 1 month later...