Why become a member? ×

Tales from the audition

Stylon Pilson

I had an audition on Monday evening for a covers band. Existing band members were a drummer and female vocalist, other auditionees were one guitarist and one other bass player (after me).

It went well, I really rated the drummer and vocalist (not so much the auditioning guitarist) and got on well with them. As I was loading up the car I noticed that my flies were undone, which was a bit frustrating. Did they notice? Did they not? Ah well, not much I could do about it now.

Anyway, the vocalist phoned me last night and I could tell almost straight away that it wasn't going to be a "yes". She said that it was a difficult decision, both of us were clearly up to the job, but they decided to go with the other guy because he has covers band experience.

Without knowing the standard of the other guy, it's hard to know whether there's anything that I could have done differently that would have given me the advantage. Or maybe they were planning on taking the guy with experience all along, unless he turned out to be a total flake.

Well, that's the way the biscuit disintegrates, I guess.

S.P.

Ahh auditons - something which I'm going to have to endure now - who knows what criteria bands use. Perhaps they didnt like your hair,bass. shoes who knows but its prob not worth worrying about since its only one set of opinions . The reason does sound a bit weak though - whats so special about playing in a covers band anyway ? Surely and experience is band expereince irrespective of how its gained. Still at least they had the decency to phone you up !

I don’t think that was a weak excuse, if it wasn’t true it was quite a good thing to say.
I’ve heard lots of stupid excuses such as the guy is good looking or you don’t drink beer and we like to get wasted while practicing. Saying that they were looking for someone with more experience is quite a valid answer.
If we were replacing any of our members in our band we would want someone with lots of experience to match the rest of us just to make sure we keep the same standard as before.

You win some you lose some. Look up and book another audition and good luck you will get a gig soon.

It is their call and not alot you can do about it.
If the gtr is weak, sounds like you haven't missed anything anyway.
I would have replied no problem, I wouldn't interested in that line-up as it is.

I wouldn't worry about it, their excuse is their excuse or reason, move on.

Having been on both ends of the audition process over the last year, one thing's for sure. Hell is other people.

On this occasion they seem to have treated you fairly decently and handled the Big No with some considerable tact. But be reassured, the whole audition / new band thing is entirely a lottery. Sooner or later your number comes up and you find yourself in a better situation than if you'd 'won' the previous auditions.

Per Ardua Ad Gig.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='farmer61' post='741954' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:28 PM']Perhaps they wanted a bassist who could dress themselves properly? :)[/quote]

Heh, the thought did occur to me over that it might work against me. As far as I can tell, they didn't notice.

[quote name='JTUK' post='742027' date='Feb 11 2010, 01:09 PM']If the gtr is weak, sounds like you haven't missed anything anyway.
I would have replied no problem, I wouldn't interested in that line-up as it is.[/quote]

Well, when I was on the phone to the vocalist last night, I did say "if you don't mind me asking, what were your thoughts on the guitarist?" and she said that they weren't going to keep him. I figured that they wouldn't, but, as you say, I wouldn't have wanted to be in the band if he was in it anyway.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='742031' date='Feb 11 2010, 01:11 PM']On this occasion they seem to have treated you fairly decently and handled the Big No with some considerable tact.[/quote]

Absolutely. And likewise I accepted it with good grace. No point making enemies, is there?

It has to be said, I'm generally a guy who is fairly lacking in confidence in his own abilities as a bass player. The fact that I held my own at the audition has been a bit of a booster for me. Not as much as if I'd actually got the gig, of course, but more than if they'd said "uh, dude, you suck."

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='742048' date='Feb 11 2010, 01:26 PM']It has to be said, I'm generally a guy who is fairly lacking in confidence in his own abilities as a bass player. The fact that I held my own at the audition has been a bit of a booster for me. Not as much as if I'd actually got the gig, of course, but more than if they'd said "uh, dude, you suck."[/quote]

Then that is a real positive and it will help at the next audition where you may well be succesful and then your confidence will really grow. I'm convinced that being a bassist is 90% attitude and 10% actual ability (well I hope so anyway!!!!)

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='farmer61' post='742067' date='Feb 11 2010, 01:38 PM']Then that is a real positive and it will help at the next audition where you may well be succesful and then your confidence will really grow. I'm convinced that being a bassist is 90% attitude and 10% actual ability (well I hope so anyway!!!!)[/quote]

+1 The only thing I would add is that I do think that being good at auditions , a bit like job interviews, is a skill in itself which doesnt have that much to do with your actual playing ability

[quote name='4 Strings' post='742104' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:03 PM']Good choice not to make enemies, if the 'experienced' guy defaults in some way you're likely to be the first call (by which time they might have found a decent guitarist)[/quote]

+1 - I got my first (and current) gig because I couldn't do it when I was offered it (too busy planning a wedding), they tried another bass player in the meantime, didn't work out, came back to me once all the busyness was over and I got it.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='741879' date='Feb 11 2010, 11:44 AM'].....they decided to go with the other guy because he has covers band experience.[/quote]

What the hell is THAT when it is at home :)? So he has played other people's songs a LOT instead of a little. Wow! How could any of us compete with THAT :rolleyes::lol: ???

Sounds like you have handled this well.

what I would do is concentrate on getting people to call you...and this isn't that easy.
But get noticed at jam type situations....cultivate useful musos and get to play with them, you will likely pick up some that you don't want to keep, but a lot of good players lack confidence and play down somewhat.
Be the guy that puts a few things together, so you are the one who has the names of players to play with.
This is advanced networking but shows you are businesslike and get on with people.
If you are the booker you can temp people with offers, like money for gigs etc..
This is not done quickly or easily but gets you out of the audition loop.

You still have to be able to cut it though.. it will not work otherwise.

I see where you're coming from, JTUK, but if everyone did that, then we'd have a situation of "too many chiefs, not enough indians."

I think that there's a place in the world for leaders and for followers. For every guy that is networking and putting things together, there's space for 3 guys who are happy to just play their part. I've got a list of names of musicians that I'd happily play with again, and maybe one day I'll think about seeing if I can assemble a cohesive band, but I'm going to need to have a more purposeful plan of attack before I attempt that.

S.P.