Why become a member? ×

Deepest sounding 4x10 anyone?

Smash

Guest johnzgerman

[quote name='Smash' post='737133' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:56 PM']Hi does anyone know what the deepest sounding 4x10 bass cab is on the market around the 25Kg weight. Something that would make the low B on a 4 string give a deep warm punch. Thanks.[/quote]

aguilar 4x10s are pretty good for low B but they weigh slightly more than the solar system.

[quote]....does anyone know what the deepest sounding 4x10 bass cab is on the market....[/quote]
There are a few cabs that do what you want but the ones I know are Aguilar, Epifani, Bergantino and there's a big Ampeg 410 (don't know the number). Also, for a loud, weighty low B you should also listen to a BFB Compact. Only the Epifani, Bergantino and Compact match your weight limit, though.

[quote name='chris_b' post='737147' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:16 PM']Most Neo 410 are around 60 lbs and non neo 410's are 80-90 lbs.

Ha ha, just seen your gear list! How about another Compact instead?[/quote]
No the Compact although lovely is not suited for my new band. Prefer the sound of a 4x10 which I have never owned always been a 15 or a 12's man but recently I have had excellent results with cheapie 4x10's so fancied a good quality 4x10 but alas light as a feather and narrow too gah, is there such a thing.

[quote name='chris_b' post='737171' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:31 PM']The AE410 is the smallest and thinnest quality neo 410 as far as I know. Have you thought about 2 matching 210’s? Lighter, easily more portable, and just as loud as the 410 equivalent.[/quote]
Good point re 2 2x10s but surely that would be a lot more expensive. I nearly opted for a pair of Mark Bass 2x10 Travellers but wasn't sure if they would handle the lower strings that well at volume. Food for thought though... hmm

[quote name='BTGAndy' post='737180' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:37 PM']The SWR Golight cabs may be worth a look, lightweight(ish) and sound just like the full weight Goliaths.[/quote]
never seen these before they look good, I remember the old SWR gear was so heavy but nice sounding.

[quote name='chris_b' post='737183' date='Feb 6 2010, 01:41 PM']You're right, the MB Travellers are too small for a good low B, IMO, but larger 210's should do the job. 210 cabs are usually larger than half a 410 so 2 should give you more total volume which should equal better tone and volume.[/quote]

Yes I think I would go for 2 seperate 2x10s but still think it may cost a whole heap more cash.

[quote name='Smash' post='737133' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:56 PM']Hi does anyone know what the deepest sounding 4x10 bass cab is on the market around the 25Kg weight. Something that would make the low B on a 4 string give a deep warm punch. Thanks.[/quote]

ACME. None of the other 4X10s come close with regard to low end extension; but it is nowhere near the efficiency of a typical 4X10 so there's your trade-off.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='737257' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:48 PM']The largest. Low frequency response is directly proportional to cabinet volume.[/quote]
Sure that's why the best 2x10 I have had was an Accugroove Tri 210, but the cab was huge.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='737212' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:10 PM']ACME. None of the other 4X10s come close with regard to low end extension; but it is nowhere near the efficiency of a typical 4X10 so there's your trade-off.[/quote]

+1

[url="http://www.acmebass.com/"]http://www.acmebass.com/[/url]

the 2x10 sounds better to me than most 4x10s that I've played.

[quote name='sk8' post='737320' date='Feb 6 2010, 03:40 PM']i've got two AE210s and for a loud fat portable sound think they are hard to beat[/quote]
Just had a look, they look awesome, starting to think now 2x 2x10's could be it, but they would have to be about 15Kg each if there is such a thing.

[quote name='sk8' post='737344' date='Feb 6 2010, 03:57 PM']the bergs are 18 ish but are a one hand lift. Its not much more than the original compact.
There is no compromise with them[/quote]
Expensive though, I have £500 can stretch to £600 so that would net me a decent 4x10 2nd hand but 2x 2x10's I don't think it will :)

The general word on TB was always that if you wanted that big pillow of bass under everything sound then an Epifani 410ul, but make sure its a series 1.

Then if you wanted a somewhat punchier tone go for the Bergantino ae410.

If you want to go for 2 210s then ae210s combine to have a slightly (very slightly) larger internal volume than the ae410, and subsequently a tad more low end.

If you dont want to go for a 410, and you have a lot of watts to throw at it then a Barefaced BigOne has absolutely vast amounts of bottom end available....

hmmmm... youi don't want weight, but can't afford the next compomise of 2 2x10's....as in Bergs, which may hit the weight catergory but not the price..
And you may not like the Neo's that you will have to entertain, re weight.
I think your quest is not realistic, you are going to have to scale down your expectations....

Best low end 4x10 I've had was a Goliath ll...and they aren't light, by any stretch..

15's are a cheaper option but just don't suit some sounds. And never ever get one without a horn, IMV.. for a standalone

Amount of low end has nothing whatsoever to do with what size driver is involved, so a 15 is not necessarily deeper than a 210 (in fact the Berg HT115 in this house has slightly less low end than the Berg HT210), it is all about box volume.

Also a Barefaced Compact doesnt have a horn but has enough top for an awful lot of the uses people on this forum put it to, especially if you want to add a bit of grind to your tone. They arent a typical 115 though (modern driver), they arent all that for super modern slap tones by any means!

Edited by 51m0n

Well I have opted for a Schroeder 410L I like the sound of my 1212L so thought why not give it a go and the footprint is slightly smaller than some, I will be revert back with my findings if it fits the bill or not. Even though an Epifani UL410 for £699 is a great price.