Why become a member? ×

Random pic of my bass

ped

[quote name='ped' post='737966' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:49 AM']What are you going to go for? The reason I went with the Samsung (which is basically a modified Pentax) was that there are loads of lenses available quite cheap.[/quote]

I haven't decided yet I'm looking at photography forums and the like, I'd be doing mostly landscape pictures as my job takes me around the country it would be a nice thing to do.

[quote name='ped' post='736791' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:28 PM']I have recently got hold of a really nice lens for low light photography, so I thought what better way to try it than on some bass in a chair pics?

Here is one I just snapped... the lens is manual focus so it took a few tries to get it right because despite my magnifying eyepiece it is harder to focus in low light!

ped

Shame the bass isn't straight in the chair, the legs of the chair aren't rotated to be square with the wall and the skirting board isn't straight along the bottom of the pic... and the bass shadows could be removed too. I'll get there one day..[/quote]

do you have a tripod

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='738017' date='Feb 7 2010, 12:44 PM']I'm thinking something like this would be a good start before I invest I can see how I get on.

[url="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5100/S51A.HTM"]http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5100/S51A.HTM[/url]

What do you think?[/quote]

I think you might as well get an SLR because you can play with different lenses and that is where things start to get really interesting. How much dosh do you have? I got my camera and two lenses for about £300

ped

[quote name='mrcrow' post='738273' date='Feb 7 2010, 06:12 PM']do you have a tripod[/quote]

I got a Gorillapod SLR zoom for Xmas from my grandfather but didn't use it here, mainly because I didn't have enough space behind the camera to see through the lens with a tripod, so went hand-held, but a well supported position using my knees and so on!

[quote name='ped' post='737057' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:56 AM']Me too Si, should be fun. I'm moving very soon so will be in touch for a 'photoshoot'!![/quote]

Definitely mate, looking forward to it!
My Shuker/Parts Jazz is back and working now, so I have a couple of sub-groups to shoot.

The Triplets: All sunburst/rosewood/tort - MIA Jazz 4, MIA Jazz 5, 1973 Jazz
The Twins: Black on black/Maple Jazz & black on black/Rosewood Precision

Shout me when you're settled :)

Si

[quote name='ped' post='738385' date='Feb 7 2010, 07:44 PM']I think you might as well get an SLR because you can play with different lenses and that is where things start to get really interesting. How much dosh do you have? I got my camera and two lenses for about £300

ped[/quote]

May I be incredibly nosey and enquire where you bought them from. I ask because my wife wants to get back into photography and is getting a little put off by the possible cost.

Cheers
Rich

No problem Rick it was good old eBay.. The Samsung GX1L is the same as a Pentax *Isd or something, pretty entry level. Works well though.

Was just talking to my best friends granddad who was the photography lecturer at Oxford Brookes for 40 years - he looked at my pics and liked them, and gave me some advice. Really great to have him on hand, and when I come to upgrade my camera he will be pointing me in the right direction!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='738423' date='Feb 7 2010, 08:20 PM']No problem Rick it was good old eBay.. The Samsung GX1L is the same as a Pentax *Isd or something, pretty entry level. Works well though.

Was just talking to my best friends granddad who was the photography lecturer at Oxford Brookes for 40 years - he looked at my pics and liked them, and gave me some advice. Really great to have him on hand, and when I come to upgrade my camera he will be pointing me in the right direction!

ped[/quote]

Thanks Ped.
My wife has a semi-automatic Pentax P30t. What she wants to do is get a DSLR that will take her existing lenses, as it would be somewhat of a waste not to use them. When I saw you post the Samsung was similar to a Pentax it got my brain thinking. Thanks again, it gives another option.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='736874' date='Feb 6 2010, 12:53 AM']You could get arty with even the cheapest of compacts (well, almost :) ) but it's as much a case of working on technique and developing your own style.[/quote]
Is true. I took these on an old Sony digital point'n'shoot that cost me 40 quid on fleaBay. Quite pleased with 'em.

[attachment=42053:operahouse.jpg]

[attachment=42054:harbourbridge.jpg]

[attachment=42055:sidmouth_ickle.jpg]

[quote name='ped' post='738510' date='Feb 7 2010, 09:41 PM']OK Tim, here is a square crop, and to satisfy Rasta's request for a black and white image I put it to greyscale too.

ped[/quote]

Nice crop, you have a better eye than I do. I like the colour though the light green and brown are really complimentary.

Anyway - Avatar?

[quote name='Rich' post='738583' date='Feb 7 2010, 10:58 PM']Is true. I took these on an old Sony digital point'n'shoot that cost me 40 quid on fleaBay. Quite pleased with 'em.

[attachment=42053:operahouse.jpg]

[attachment=42054:harbourbridge.jpg]

[attachment=42055:sidmouth_ickle.jpg][/quote]

Stunning pics Rich... just goes to show, you can give a crap camera to a good photographer but the best camera in the world is useless in the wrong hands!

[quote name='TimR' post='738596' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:09 PM']Nice crop, you have a better eye than I do. I like the colour though the light green and brown are really complimentary.

Anyway - Avatar?[/quote]

Yeah I think I like the colour too, I'll set it as my avatar on a trial basis :0)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='736809' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:43 PM']FWD to my psychiatrist, he'll be in touch. :)[/quote]

Put a word in for me - because it reminds me a bit of that famous Christine Keeler pic, the one of her in the chair.

Er... yes, it's getting late isn't it, I'll get me coat, ha ha.

Hey Wayne, I did a quick edit of your pic on my phone to give you an idea of how you can mass with photos until you get something you're happy with.

[url="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4376479402_c55f951bcd_o.jpg"]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/437647...55f951bcd_o.jpg[/url]

Listen to Ped. Get a DSLR. You can get good s/h or new entry level ones well within a few hundred quids.