Why become a member? ×

1964 Fender Jazz

slobluesine

£5000. no trades thx
1964 Fender Jazz, body and headstock have been refinished, Bass came for SolidBodyGuitar in the states and ser is L22xxx, pots are dated '63, comes with OHC

rest is history....

[attachment=41856:DSCF0011.JPG][attachment=41857:64_jazz.JPG][attachment=41859:DSCF0009.JPG]
[attachment=41860:DSCF0010.JPG][attachment=41861:DSCF0047.JPG]

Edited by slobluesine

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silddx' post='751856' date='Feb 20 2010, 03:39 PM']I can't believe it's condition, incredible![/quote]

I've played it a few times... The back of the neck is amazing. The most beautiful flame ever. Weighs nothing, and just has fat tone. Really fat. Give the tone knob a twist and great zing. The Yardstick for all Jazz Basses.

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='751973' date='Feb 20 2010, 05:37 PM']I've played it a few times... The back of the neck is amazing. The most beautiful flame ever. Weighs nothing, and just has fat tone. Really fat. Give the tone knob a twist and great zing. The Yardstick for all Jazz Basses.[/quote]
I hope it goes to the right home.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='752349' date='Feb 20 2010, 11:32 PM']Shame about the refinish.[/quote]
See, this is the problem right, there is a lot of bullshit talked about old Fenders. If it plays like Andy says it does, it's worth the money, or thereabouts, to a real bass player, refin or not. For £2000 you can get yourself an early '70s three bolt with more problems than your local alky. Massive hand routed neck sockets for instance, because they pressed the neck adjuster disk badly. baseball bat necks, crap fretscales.

I'm thinking this might be the business, but the refin crowd will shout it down to two-five. Who knows?

[quote name='silddx' post='752393' date='Feb 21 2010, 12:01 AM']See, this is the problem right, there is a lot of bullshit talked about old Fenders. If it plays like Andy says it does, it's worth the money, or thereabouts, to a real bass player, refin or not. For £2000 you can get yourself an early '70s three bolt with more problems than your local alky. Massive hand routed neck sockets for instance, because they pressed the neck adjuster disk badly. baseball bat necks, crap fretscales.

I'm thinking this might be the business, but the refin crowd will shout it down to two-five. Who knows?[/quote]

Voice of reason as always Nig, I never understand how doing something to improve a product can reduce it's value.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='752401' date='Feb 21 2010, 12:10 AM']Voice of reason as always Nig, I never understand how doing something to improve a product can reduce it's value.[/quote]
i never did understand why an older bass should be worth 5 times a new one, but hey! :)

Im sure someone would whip this off your hands, make sure you advertise it well :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

That's a beauty! I'm the happy keeper one as well, though not as nice looking as yours. It's originally red - same as headstock - but my older brother (he bought it S/H in '60s), thought red was yuck, and in teenage impulse sprayed it black; amateur cellulose paint job by local pal in factory sprayshop! Little did he know what he was doing...
BTW, the Strat is property of another brother, '65/66 ( various parts different dates, as usual!), but it's L series so pre-CBS apparently.
They're both beautiful instruments. The Jazz has flats on, and has a really unique (to the era) sound, that never fails to impress in studio.

Best of luck with sale, it's definitely worth that kind of money, from all of the research I've done on various vintage sites and fora.
[attachment=45096:TwoOldBuddies.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...