Why become a member? ×

How the hell do some people treat their basses?!

xilddx

I remember going round to someone's house to try out a bass they had for sale. Beautiful Georgian town-house, immaculately decorated and tastefully furnished. The seller told me his Uncle had been in the Navy and had brought this old Fender over from the States in the early '60's, played it twice then stuck it under the bed.

Anticipating a glorious, mint Precision I opened the case. Imagine my horror. The whole thing was covered in black gunge and sticky stuff. And it absolutely reeked of pineapples.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='736314' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:37 PM']I remember going round to someone's house to try out a bass they had for sale. Beautiful Georgian town-house, immaculately decorated and tastefully furnished. The seller told me his Uncle had been in the Navy and had brought this old Fender over from the States in the early '60's, played it twice then stuck it under the bed.

Anticipating a glorious, mint Precision I opened the case. Imagine my horror. The whole thing was covered in black gunge and sticky stuff. And it absolutely reeked of pineapples.[/quote]
:)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='736314' date='Feb 5 2010, 03:37 PM']I remember going round to someone's house to try out a bass they had for sale. Beautiful Georgian town-house, immaculately decorated and tastefully furnished. The seller told me his Uncle had been in the Navy and had brought this old Fender over from the States in the early '60's, played it twice then stuck it under the bed.

Anticipating a glorious, mint Precision I opened the case. Imagine my horror. The whole thing was covered in black gunge and sticky stuff. And it [b]absolutely reeked of pineapples.[/b][/quote]

I think (I emphasise I think) there is a big difference between your instrument picking up those unavoidable and accidental knocks and scraps and then there is neglect and abuse.
Personally I like my stuff, any of it, to be in a well maintained working order. I don't want my bass looking like I keep it in the outdoor shed. It cost good money and feel it should be looked after.
For the same reason I told everyone to buy my youngest two sons nothing for christmas and give them money. they only bust any toy they are given, really annoys me, a waste of money.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='736511' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:24 PM']I try to keep mine as pristine as possible, my blue Jazz is a 1992 and it hasn't got a mark and I've done 250+ gigs with it.[/quote]
Well you'd probably 'get the sandpaper out' it if it did get chipped anyway. :rolleyes: :)

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='paul h' post='736589' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:44 PM']I used to play a parts bass and I gave it some serious abuse. At the end of one gig I just dropped it on the stage and walked off....very rock n roll. Bugger stayed in tune too.[/quote]

thats the 'ammer.i love doing that.

Sometimes wear and tear can work in your favour. I own two basses because of this factor, and they're both my favourite basses. The first is my trusty Westone Spectrum DX which, when I got it, had been sprayed very badly with a combat green colour and was covered in crud. This is why I got it for 35 quid, because the bloke in the shop thought it was nasty bit of tat. But all I had to do was clean it and strip down to the very nice maple underneath, and it makes for a really good bass. The second bass is a 1989/90 MIJ Fender Jazz fretless (i.e. an unmarked fretless). I was at a party a few months back and spotted it in a room surrounded by loads of other crap. After a few inquiries I found the owner and had a look at it. It was absolutely filthy and had various dents and scratches on it. The owner wasn't a fan of it, so I said I'd take it off his hands. So he let me do so for 150 quid, which to my mind is a bit of a bargain (perhaps I'm wrong). When I got it home, it took a fair few hours to take it apart and clean it. The wiring was, well, shot to hell and most of the connections had just fallen off (but it still worked a bit through an amp). The worst thing was the crud all over it. The pickguard had to be wedged off the bass once all the screws were taken out. The same went for the bridge. They both stayed on because layers of sweaty skin crud were holding them there. Still, after a thorough clean, some delicate restoration on the fingerboard, and a replacement pickguard, it looks and sounds bloody marvellous. Sure, it has a few dents and scratches, but it still looks way way better than it did when I rescued it :)

I'm not a fan of distressing, or relicing anything.
I personally keep all my stuff as new as possible. I have an iphone which looks new and is now 12 months old. Some people don't value stuff. All I know is it took me a while to get the money to buy this kit, and I want to keep it as well as I can.

One of my basses has lots of battle scars but only because its been gigged to hell and back. I've looked after it but being on the road and recording for 20 years has resulted in it being bashed about but unintentionally may I add. I don't mind a working bass to get scars and marks. A working bass to me is exactly that, a woking bass, a tool, something that you use and will in time, get worn out, damaged or break. I try and look after it, the same as I would clothes but eventually the more it gets used, the more its going to become worn.

[quote name='Linus27' post='736680' date='Feb 5 2010, 09:26 PM']One of my basses has lots of battle scars but only because its been gigged to hell and back. I've looked after it but being on the road and recording for 20 years has resulted in it being bashed about but unintentionally may I add. I don't mind a working bass to get scars and marks. A working bass to me is exactly that, a woking bass, a tool, something that you use and will in time, get worn out, damaged or break. I try and look after it, the same as I would clothes but eventually the more it gets used, the more its going to become worn.[/quote]
But that's fine isn't it.

I was talking about complete lack of care, chucking an expensive lovely bass about, dumping it in a concrete corner, etc. Road wear is perfectly acceptable.

[quote name='silddx' post='736686' date='Feb 5 2010, 09:33 PM']But that's fine isn't it.

I was talking about complete lack of care, chucking an expensive lovely bass about, dumping it in a concrete corner, etc. Road wear is perfectly acceptable.[/quote]

I concur it winds me up when I see instruments being disrespected but it is the owners choice.

[quote name='silddx' post='735984' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:44 AM']No, not yours mate :)

BUT, [i]"If a custom shop bass has alot of wear and tear (and no deep cracks etc) I would generally think its because it was such a good bass, the owner couldnt put it down, imo that is a sign of a very good instrument."[/i] I'm sorry but I think that's absolute nadgers. The odd ding and scratch I can understand, but I can't see why any instrument should end up looking like it's spent six months in the Gorbals because someone "loved" it.[/quote]

I resent that.... I live in the Gorbals!

But on the other hand my bass does look like sh*t.

[quote name='gjones' post='736724' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:10 PM']I resent that.... I live in the Gorbals!

But on the other hand my bass does look like sh*t.[/quote]
Jeez, it was only a little quip, a phrase, people are getting pissed off with me because of it. Not one person has screeched at me because they are offended by my Helmand Province reference.

[b]SORRY TO ALL GLASWEGIANS![/b]

I'll be up there in a couple of months, I'll take a look. If you look at my profile in May and see "Last seen 14th April", you'll know what's happened.

TBH my stuff is generally well looked-after. I've got a Jazz here that has a couple of dings in the back of the neck and that sort of damage always surprises me - I'm always really careful especially with necks. But no matter - I don't notice it, the thing still sounds good.

I do know a couple of people who grew up in quite wealthy households who don't seem to understand the value of things very well. The sort of people who'll get angry and smash something, or borrow to buy the things they want, just generally treat things as being disposable. I think I take care of stuff because when I was a kid if something broke it didn't get replaced. My mum and my sister were having a go at me the other day saying I used to take electronics apart when I was a kid and they never worked properly afterwards. In actual fact it was usually stuff like cheap hi-fis / cassette recorders / walkmans that had already stopped working and I got them going again. I was shocked that they thought I was just randomly breaking stuff out of curiosity.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Protium' post='737722' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:19 PM']It's called 5 years of constant gigging, recording and practice... Not being cased under the bed and played once a fortnight :)[/quote]

I think the point is wear and tear from gigging is understandable it's when they are covered in grease with dirty fingerboards and lumps out out them where people don't give a f***.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='736642' date='Feb 5 2010, 08:38 PM']I do find it amusing that people buy so-called 'road worn' brand new basses. Can't figure that one out at all.[/quote]

erm... because some people like the way they look? i for one think a relic'd fender (provided it looks real, i can't stand badly done relics) is just cool, its that simple. in fact, i tend to prefer most basses with a little mojo tbh, the whole shiny new thing doesnt do it for me. not that i'd ever damage an instrument on purpose just for its asthetics.

i find it amusing anyone would buy a musicman bongo. can't figure that one out at all.

[quote name='silddx' post='736741' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:32 PM']Jeez, it was only a little quip, a phrase, people are getting pissed off with me because of it. Not one person has screeched at me because they are offended by my Helmand Province reference.

[b]SORRY TO ALL GLASWEGIANS![/b][/quote]

The Gorbals is like Wester Hailes, Pilton or Granton but wi'oot the culture.

I also do my level best to keep my basses in as good a condition as possible, but try as I might they still accumulate dings and scratches, and I'm blowed if I know where they come from. I always give my bass a good wipe and polish after every gig, and try to look after it, but when I'm gigging I don't seem to be able to avoid the knocks. I am also of the opinion that a bass is a tool to do a job, and if it accumulates a bit of honest wear, so be it. I couldn't go out and gig with my MIM Precision and leave my Shuker JJ at home for fear of damaging it-it was made to be played, and I like to get out there and do just that. What I wouldn't do is what my main man JJ used to do in the 70's, play it whilst wearing a leather bike jacket, covered in zips and metal buckles, which must have played merry hell with the finish (must have been bloody hot onstage, too).

[quote name='silddx' post='735940' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:16 AM']I don't really know why but it makes me angry. I don't like people who have no respect for things, I make assumptions they treat people and animals like that too. Is it me being very judgemental as usual? or do I have a point?[/quote]

My equipment usually ends up in state one way or another. The state of my Shuker almost made one man cry (i don't see several dings and dents and one crack as all that bad, but some do! :rolleyes: ).

It is not because i treat things with disrespect, but rather that i see then as inanimet objects or tools, and so do not 'nurse' them. when i'm loading equipment into the van at 3am (instead of 1am because of pissed bandmates), looking at a 2 hour drive home and have work in the morning then my focuss isn't on being carefull with my equipment, thats not to say of course that i'm rough with it.

i think making the assumptions that they treat people and animals like that too is deffinitly judgemental. i can't speak for everyone else, but my job is caring for people on the autistic spectrum, big job little thanks, i do it because i love it. i currently volunteer 14 hours a week doing creative writing workshops in schools because i believe young people aren't given enough oppertunity to learn the importance of expression. oh, and my best friend is a dog... :lol:

so in at least one case, your judgement would be wrong. so maby reserve said judgement till you meet the people. then judge at will! :)

Edited by wotnwhy

[quote name='silddx' post='736741' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:32 PM']Jeez, it was only a little quip, a phrase, people are getting pissed off with me because of it. Not one person has screeched at me because they are offended by my Helmand Province reference.

[b]SORRY TO ALL GLASWEGIANS![/b]

I'll be up there in a couple of months, I'll take a look. If you look at my profile in May and see "Last seen 14th April", you'll know what's happened.

:)[/quote]
We'll be waiting...

:rolleyes: