Why become a member? ×

Why Does My MM Sterling Smell So Nice?

Rumple

Weird question I know but I have a Musicman Sterling and it smells fantastic, I also have a Stingray 5 but that's odourless, I was wondering if it had anything to do with the back of the neck which I'm guessing is treated with wax or oil to protect it.
Any help would be appreciated.

R.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='80458' date='Oct 28 2007, 03:29 PM']Chances are it's the case you store it in, if you do.[/quote]

It's in a standard Musicman case do they smell nice then? all my other cases smell of nothing or have a nasty plastic chemical smell to them.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='80465' date='Oct 28 2007, 03:47 PM']What type fret board do you have? It could have been treated with Lemming Oil?

BTW, PRS polish smells very nice.... Polish mine twice a year and they smell lovely after for a few weeks...[/quote]

It's a maple board, can you use lemon oil on that or is it for rosewood boards?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='80471' date='Oct 28 2007, 04:01 PM']NORMALLY....... Maple boards are finished with lacquer (acrylic or cellulose) so my guess is its the polish....

Unless someone has used a magic tree as a shim in the neck pocket..... :)[/quote]

I'll try the Magic Tree shim method on my Stingray to try and make it as sweet smelling as the Sterling, now where's my screwdrivers... :huh:

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='80506' date='Oct 28 2007, 05:18 PM']Mine smells of toffee - I make everyone smell it and they think I'm weird, suppose I am really. :wacko:[/quote]

I wish all my basses could be made to smell like my Sterling, I guess that makes me a tad on the weird side to!

[quote name='Rumple' post='80539' date='Oct 28 2007, 06:59 PM']I wish all my basses could be made to smell like my Sterling, I guess that makes me a tad on the weird side to![/quote]

Have you ever smelled a Lowden acoustic guitar ?
I kid you not, there is a definite woody (cedar and rosewood construction) "nice" smell off my F25C.
I've had it three or four years and it's still there every time I open the case
It's the most expensive air freshener I've ever bought :)

[quote name='2pods' post='83013' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:36 AM']Have you ever smelled a Lowden acoustic guitar ?
I kid you not, there is a definite woody (cedar and rosewood construction) "nice" smell off my F25C.
I've had it three or four years and it's still there every time I open the case
It's the most expensive air freshener I've ever bought :)[/quote]
I have an old washburn D23 acoustic with rosewood sides and back - it smells lovely.

I think there's someing that SKB put in the cases to make them smell. There are different smells but my previous Ricks and my current Stingray smell of maple syrup.

In fact, I'm not using the case for my stingray. I've had it in a gig bag for the last month and the bass still smells like this.

My '73 Precision smells of beer, fags, and dirt (or "Pubs and Wormwood Scrubs" as Mr Weller would put it) and I wouldn't have it any other way. Enough of this poncy nice-smelling stuff above (although the wet dog smelling Les Paul was amusing) :)
Chris