Why become a member? ×

Signal booster pedals

Gunsfreddy2003

I have recently bought a vintage Fender Jazz which is a great bass but the output signal from it is substantially lower than that from my magnificent GB Rumour. I think that some kind of booster pedal may solve the problem and wondered if anyone can recommend a good one.

I assume that this will also solve the problem that I my having with my envelope filters as they just don't work as well without re-setting all of the levels but this is a pain as I have to change them all when I change basses.

Mark

Well I am assuming that that is the problem??

They work fine with the GB but when you switch basses it is like they are stuck in the bottom end frequencies and need more gain at the current settings to sweep through the frequencies.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='728842' date='Jan 29 2010, 03:55 PM']If all you need is extra gain, and you put the micro amp before your filters, yeh it will help.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='728851' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:00 PM']Well I am assuming that that is the problem??

They work fine with the GB but when you switch basses it is like they are stuck in the bottom end frequencies and need more gain at the current settings to sweep through the frequencies.[/quote]
Envelope filters are driven by the signal level. If you set them with with GB, the Fender JB is likely to be too weak to make the filter move.

You could use the [url="http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad"]EHX signal pad[/url] to lower the signal of the GB to the same level of the JB.

Alternatively, you could use a booster when you use the JB. In my experience the MXR Micro Amp is not entirely transparent - especially at the lower frequencies but some people like it.

OK anyone know of one for sale on the forum or where I can get one at a sensible price?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='728865' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:08 PM']yeh if a pedal is fine with a loud bass, and not fine with a quite bass, then sticking a booster before the pedal should even out the difference.[/quote]

Yeah I think that is exactly what is happening.

I am not keen to lower the signal of the GB as it works fine and I have never had a problem with it or the pedals before. I am highly unlikely to swap between the two basses at one gig so it would make sense to boost the signal from the jazz.

Appreciate the comment on the MXR - what would you recommend instead?

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='728872' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:15 PM']Envelope filters are driven by the signal level. If you set them with with GB, the Fender JB is likely to be too weak to make the filter move.

You could use the [url="http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad"]EHX signal pad[/url] to lower the signal of the GB to the same level of the JB.

Alternatively, you could use a booster when you use the JB. In my experience the MXR Micro Amp is not entirely transparent - especially at the lower frequencies but some people like it.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='728880' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:20 PM'](...)
Appreciate the comment on the MXR - what would you recommend instead?[/quote]

As you can imagine, it is difficult for me give you a totaly unpartial advice. I would recomend you a [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=blue_dragon"][sfx] Blue Dragon[/url] :)

Alternatively, you could use a [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=micro_eq"][sfx] Micro-EQ[/url]. With the tone controls flat it is an excellent booster. You can also use it to compensate the tone difference between GB and JB.

If you are not keen on [sfx] products, there are a lot of pedals that can give you clean boost - it depends if already have some preference and how much money you are ready to spend.

What price does the Blue Dragon go for?

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='728898' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:34 PM']As you can imagine, it is difficult for me give you a totaly unpartial advice. I would recomend you a [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=blue_dragon"][sfx] Blue Dragon[/url] :)

Alternatively, you could use a [url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=micro_eq"][sfx] Micro-EQ[/url]. With the tone controls flat it is an excellent booster. You can also use it to compensate the tone difference between GB and JB.

If you are not keen on [sfx] products, there are a lot of pedals that can give you clean boost - it depends if already have some preference and how much money you are ready to spend.[/quote]

Not a chance!!

The tone from the jazz is lovely and it is nice to have some difference from the GB - nice as the sound from that one is.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='728933' date='Jan 29 2010, 04:58 PM']Maybe you could get the same pre-amp from your GB to put in your jazz?[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='732785' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:14 PM']No - have you used one?[/quote]

I use one all the time.
I have it at the end of the loop, before the amp.
At its most basic, it is a gain booster that fattens up and compensates for any signal loss along the the chain (greta if using moe than 4 pedals, or effects with wave manipulation or dist.)
Just set the level u want after your chain and you´re way.
I have a slightly modded one I got on Evilbay and It´s great.

I have discussed this with EBS Freak who has quite a few GB's and he said that he had tried to this and got in a real mess by doing so!

Surely it is not impossible to boost the jazz signal to the same level?

Mark

[quote name='chris_b' post='732794' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:19 PM']You're trying to raise the output of your Jazz to match the GB. The simplest option I think is to lower the volume of your GB to match the output of the Jazz?[/quote]

Thanks for the info - sounds good.

I would need to put one at the start of my effects chain as I need it to impact on how the envelope filters open up.

Does it colour your tone much?

[quote name='basshead56' post='732797' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:22 PM']I use one all the time.
I have it at the end of the loop, before the amp.
At its most basic, it is a gain booster that fattens up and compensates for any signal loss along the the chain (greta if using moe than 4 pedals, or effects with wave manipulation or dist.)
Just set the level u want after your chain and you´re way.
I have a slightly modded one I got on Evilbay and It´s great.[/quote]