Why become a member? ×

Signal booster pedals

Gunsfreddy2003

the lpb is not a clean boost. it definitely adds something to your tone. Whether you like that or not is totally subjective.

the mxr i mentioned earlier is stil probably your best bet if a clean boost is what you're after. They come up regularly on ebay as well as on forums such as this. It's not unusual to find one secondhand for about £40 or perhaps less. Where the LPB can be found new for around £30, it comes back to the colouration issue.

I definitely do not want any colouration to my tone that would be really bad!

Typically I can't find an MXR for less than £70 at the moment and having just spent the money on a bass I am not keen to shell out that much on a pedal which has no other perceived benefits than making the signal louder and hopefully making my effects work as they do with my other bass!

Now if it was another filter or something exciting then I would definitely find the money!!

Mark

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='733077' date='Feb 2 2010, 04:04 PM']the lpb is not a clean boost. it definitely adds something to your tone. Whether you like that or not is totally subjective.

the mxr i mentioned earlier is stil probably your best bet if a clean boost is what you're after. They come up regularly on ebay as well as on forums such as this. It's not unusual to find one secondhand for about £40 or perhaps less. Where the LPB can be found new for around £30, it comes back to the colouration issue.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='733140' date='Feb 2 2010, 04:40 PM']I definitely do not want any colouration to my tone that would be really bad!

(...)

Now if it was another filter or something exciting then I would definitely find the money!![/quote]
In my experience, it actually makes more sense spend money in a clean device than in a filter (or in a pedal that alters the tone).

Total transparency is more difficult to achieve than any other effect. It requires perfect circuit and PCB design, good assembly and the best components.

I use the same quality standards for everything I build but I could easily get away with simpler (and cheaper) solutions with a filter or a distortion pedal. For a clean pedal if there is something that is not perfect it can be heard – at least I can. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='733095' date='Feb 2 2010, 04:16 PM']Any EQ pedal should be fairly flat (if you don't touch the faders)
(...)[/quote]

In theory you are right; in practice things are slightly more complicated.

For a 2 band EQ the difference is probably almost nothing but for a graphic equalizer, every band corresponds to a section of the circuit that processes the sound - regardless if the knob/cursor is set to cut, flat or boost. In a 7 band EQ the signal goes in (at least) 7 stages. Every stage adds a little bit of distortion and noise. It is almost nothing but multiplied by 7 it can be heard.

Moreover, component tolerances move the flat position of the knob. As a result, with all the cursors at 0dB, the equalizer boosts or cuts certain frequencies.

Interesting - I had never looked at it that way before.

I think what I really meant in my post is that I am having to buy something here just to get levels right and that is not terribly exciting!

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='733251' date='Feb 2 2010, 06:16 PM']In my experience, it actually makes more sense spend money in a clean device than in a filter (or in a pedal that alters the tone).

Total transparency is more difficult to achieve than any other effect. It requires perfect circuit and PCB design, good assembly and the best components.

I use the same quality standards for everything I build but I could easily get away with simpler (and cheaper) solutions with a filter or a distortion pedal. For a clean pedal if there is something that is not perfect it can be heard – at least I can. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='733336' date='Feb 2 2010, 07:21 PM'](...)
I think what I really meant in my post is that I am having to buy something here just to get levels right and that is not terribly exciting![/quote]

:) I entirely understand.

The simpler, more transparent and cheaper way to achieve what you need is the EHX signal pad.

If you want a really transparent booster I suggest you wait and buy something that doesn't compromises the sound of your basses. There are a lot of "clean" boosters on the market, unfortunately the majority of them represents a problem more than a solution.

I don't know the electronics of the GB but are you sure there isn't a trim pot to control the gain?

Doesn't the EHX signal pad cut signal rather than boost it?

Not keen to adjust the signal on the GB TBH!

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='733409' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:12 PM']:) I entirely understand.

The simpler, more transparent and cheaper way to achieve what you need is the EHX signal pad.

If you want a really transparent booster I suggest you wait and buy something that doesn't compromises the sound of your basses. There are a lot of "clean" boosters on the market, unfortunately the majority of them represents a problem more than a solution.

I don't know the electronics of the GB but are you sure there isn't a trim pot to control the gain?[/quote]

I know in principle you don't want to change the ouput of the GB, but if you got it down to match the jazz, you could then adjust your filters to match the new gain level. Then when the jass is plugged in it should be OK.

It seems like Silent Fly might make you a totally clean boost anyway...?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='733735' date='Feb 3 2010, 08:34 AM']I know in principle you don't want to change the ouput of the GB(...)[/quote]
...and he wouldn't change the output of the GB. Only the input of the first pedal of the pedalboard. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='733735' date='Feb 3 2010, 08:34 AM'](...) but if you got it down to match the jazz, you could then adjust your filters to match the new gain level. Then when the jass is plugged in it should be OK. (...)[/quote]
Exactly.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='733711' date='Feb 3 2010, 06:44 AM']Doesn't the EHX signal pad cut signal rather than boost it?

Not keen to adjust the signal on the GB TBH![/quote]
I see a little bit of a problem here...

You are not keen on adjusting the signal of GB.

The best way to avoid this is use a high quality booster when you use the other bass (Fender JB). It will not change the tone of the GB or the Fender JB. However, you are not keen in spending the money needed to buy a high quality pedal.

The second best option is use a passive attenuator pedal (EHX Signal Pad). It is inexpensive and has no impact on the GB tone. You don’t like it because it "[i]adjust the signal on the GB[/i]".

I run out of suggestions... :)

Most of the options have already been mentioned. In terms of clean boosts, you could consider:

EHX LPB-1
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
MXR Micro Amp
Modtone Clean Boost

Other options that have also been mentioned which would work are:

EHX Signal Pad
Boss LS-2

The LS-2 may make the most sense for what you're trying to achieve. Of the clean boosts, the Modtone is probably the least coloured.

[quote name='fxpedal.co.uk' post='733796' date='Feb 3 2010, 09:55 AM']Most of the options have already been mentioned. In terms of clean boosts, you could consider:

EHX LPB-1
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
MXR Micro Amp
Modtone Clean Boost

Other options that have also been mentioned which would work are:

EHX Signal Pad
Boss LS-2

The LS-2 may make the most sense for what you're trying to achieve. Of the clean boosts, the Modtone is probably the least coloured.[/quote]

I agree with fxpedal.co.uk recommendations.

I don't know the [i]Modtone Clean Boost[/i] but the [i]EHX LPB-1[/i] and [i]Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster[/i] have a relatively low input impedance. They might colour the sound slightly (not necessarily in a bad way) with passive basses.

The [i]MXR Micro Amp[/i] is a good pedal but unfortunately it uses an IC that could be better quality.

The [i]Boss LS-2[/i] is not true-bypass and it will process the sound of your GB regardless if it is switched on or off. You may no hear the difference though.

I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone on this thread and have simply tried to look at all options before making any impulse purchase. If your Blue Dragon is the best option then I have no problem in stumping up the cash for it but just want to be 100% sure first.

Higgie has kindly given me an offer on his Catalinbread Serrano Picoso and I am looking into that as an option too now!

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='733778' date='Feb 3 2010, 09:35 AM']I see a little bit of a problem here...

You are not keen on adjusting the signal of GB.

The best way to avoid this is use a high quality booster when you use the other bass (Fender JB). It will not change the tone of the GB or the Fender JB. However, you are not keen in spending the money needed to buy a high quality pedal.

The second best option is use a passive attenuator pedal (EHX Signal Pad). It is inexpensive and has no impact on the GB tone. You don’t like it because it "[i]adjust the signal on the GB[/i]".

I run out of suggestions... :)[/quote]

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='733937' date='Feb 3 2010, 12:03 PM']I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone on this thread and have simply tried to look at all options before making any impulse purchase.[/quote]
I am sorry Gunsfreddy2003 if I sounded a little bit aggressive - it wasn't my intention. :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='733937' date='Feb 3 2010, 12:03 PM']Higgie has kindly given me an offer on his Catalinbread Serrano Picoso and I am looking into that as an option too now![/quote]
It is very nice pedal - I'm sure you'll like it. :rolleyes:

Ha ha! Good solution!

[quote name='longtimefred' post='733990' date='Feb 3 2010, 01:06 PM']Have a look at the Tech 21 Bass Deluxe pedal. Its rather expencive but it does EVERYTHING!!!!

I was gonna get one of these to even out the difference between my Stingray and my Jazz, but in the end just sold the Jazz![/quote]

Hey no problem at all - no offence taken.

I think your pedals look fantastic but I am just trying to stem the leaking cash flow at the moment.

Mark

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='733995' date='Feb 3 2010, 01:08 PM']I am sorry Gunsfreddy2003 if I sounded a little bit aggressive - it wasn't my intention. :)

It is very nice pedal - I'm sure you'll like it. :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='735416' date='Feb 4 2010, 07:19 PM']Opted for the Catalinbread Serrano Picoso from Higgie in the end - hope it does what I need it to do now?!![/quote]

1. Connect the booster as the first pedal
2. Switch it off
3. Set everything with your GB
4. unplug the GB, plug the in Fender JB
5. Turn on the booster
6. Set the booster so that the Fender sounds (volume and effects) like the GB

From now on, use the GB with the booster switched off and the Fender with the booster on.

Top advice - many thanks.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='735430' date='Feb 4 2010, 07:35 PM']1. Connect the booster as the first pedal
2. Switch it off
3. Set everything with your GB
4. unplug the GB, plug the in Fender JB
5. Turn on the booster
6. Set the booster so that the Fender sounds (volume and effects) like the GB

From now on, use the GB with the booster switched off and the Fender with the booster on.[/quote]