Why become a member? ×

Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie Fuzz

umcoo

So, I got this pedal yesterday. It's a 'cousin' of the big muff/way huge swollen pickle pedals and cost me around £90 with £24 customs whn it got here. Bearing in mind I have only played a russian big muff (the black one, which I got rid of very quickly!), I wasn't really too sure what to expect.

Construction-wise, this is built to last. Mine has the number 25 on it, and I believe they just got new cases, so it looks very professional and neat! As soon as I hooked it up and turned it on I was blown away. Great sound with an AMAZING amount of bass coming though! No need for a blend pedal with this thing.

It has 3 knobs, volume, saturation and shape. Volume does what it says on the tin, saturation is the amount of fuzz and 'bite', and shape seems to bring in more and more bass. With shape and saturaion on full, it can be a little glitchy, but the amount of bass frequencies is amazing.

I'm a big fan of Weezer and have been looking for that 'Tired of Sex' and Pinkerton-esque bass fuzz sound that Matt Sharp has. Needless to say, I've got it...by the bucketload.

I highly recommend Matt at Wren and Cuff, his customer service was excellent, replies to emails very quickly, and I got this pedal with free international shipping!

So yeh, sorry I have no soundclips and no, I can't get them because my computer is rubbish...and I am rubbish!

Amazing pedal...check one out :hyper:

www.wrenandcuff.com

[quote name='umcoo' post='80108' date='Oct 27 2007, 01:24 PM']It has 3 knobs, volume, saturation and shape. Volume does what it says on the tin, saturation is the amount of fuzz and 'bite', and shape seems to bring in more and more bass. With shape and saturaion on full, it can be a little glitchy, but the amount of bass frequencies is amazing.[/quote]

sounds like you're having a lot of fun with it !

what do you mean by glitchy ?www.wrenandcuff.com

Edited by ahpook

• 5 months later...

well, yeh, but if you're playing in a band with distorted/heavy guitars then in general a clean blend will always help you cut through and remain defined. In the studio it may not be appropriate.

To be fair, I might not be saying that if I had an expensive bass rig so....

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='sk8' post='195506' date='May 9 2008, 03:59 PM']well my PPB finally cleared customs. Wow :wub:

All i can say is this pedal is awesome

Its the fuzz i have been looking for and the blend just makes it better[/quote]

if you don't mind me asking...how much was the total price of the PPB including delivery and customs charges? PM me if you'd rather not post it, cheers mate

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='195509' date='May 9 2008, 04:03 PM']if you don't mind me asking...how much was the total price of the PPB including delivery and customs charges? PM me if you'd rather not post it, cheers mate[/quote]

£95 for the pedal inc postage and £18 handling and customs

Well i've had more time ot play with this and the claims Matt makes on the website are true. With 100% wet and saturation at about 9 o'clock and shape at 3 o'clock i pretty much got my tubescreamer sound spot on. With it still 100% wet and shape at about 12 o'clock and saturation at about 1 - 2 o'clock i got a nice cliff burton fuzz and bringing the blend back to about 1:30 i got a great fuzz sound that will stay in mix.

Cudos to matt; this is much more than a fuzz pedal, with simple tweaks it will cover a broad range of sounds and i'm still finding them!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='199522' date='May 15 2008, 01:01 PM']Have you boosted the pickle by running the cream pie into it yet?

Welcome to a new world[/quote]
may try that i've been running my cream pie after it and always have it on :) the pickle pie seems to be the only fuzz that seems to get better by not having it first in the chain ;p

[quote name='truegeminis' post='218152' date='Jun 13 2008, 10:41 AM']I've ordered the Pickle Pie 'B'.

Just wondering how long did it take for the pedal to arrive from time of shipping?[/quote]

I ordered mine on the 28th of May, sent an email to Matt earlier this week and he said it would be another 7-10 days, so it looks like 3-4 weeks at the moment. He told me he was really busy before I ordered so I was expecting that sort of delay anyway.

I picked up my pedal from the post office this morning. It took about 14 days from the date of shipping and the customs charges came to £24.04 in total.

It's worth the wait (as Matt is justifiably very busy). It is the best fuzz I've ever used and the added blend control is great, tightens up the sound really well.

Definitely going to be a permanent fixture on my board. If anyone wants a fuzz pedal they should try one of these.

[quote name='truegeminis' post='218152' date='Jun 13 2008, 10:41 AM']I've ordered the Pickle Pie 'B'.

Just wondering how long did it take for the pedal to arrive from time of shipping?

I needs tha fuzz! :)[/quote]customs were crap. it took about less than a week to get from the states and then sat in customs for a week and a half

[quote name='truegeminis' post='218826' date='Jun 14 2008, 01:52 PM']I picked up my pedal from the post office this morning. It took about 14 days from the date of shipping and the customs charges came to £24.04 in total.

It's worth the wait (as Matt is justifiably very busy). It is the best fuzz I've ever used and the added blend control is great, tightens up the sound really well.

Definitely going to be a permanent fixture on my board. If anyone wants a fuzz pedal they should try one of these.[/quote]
+1 on that