Why become a member? ×

A Prosebass build diary

flip

Hello,

So, I've taken the plunge and opted to have a shiny new bass made just for me by that friendly gent (and answerer of many bass related queries) at Prosebass. This here thread is me sharing the updates from the Prosebass workshop with you, the nice people of Basschat.

This build basically came about due to ongoing back problems I've been contending with and being unable to find a bass more comfortable than my much loved Lakland Glaub and Fender Jazz, but you probably don't want to hear about all that medical stuff. Anyways, after a long period of consultation and endless patience from Paul, a build spec was decided.

This spec was basically to combine the sound of a P bass with the looks of a Grabber with a short scale neck pitched somewhere between the thickness of a J and a P. And all of this had to be wrapped up in a well balanced, lightweight & sexy looking package that could still make its mark in a noisy rock & roll band.

Enough of my gassing, bring on the pics:

Stage1:
Body is American Ash 10mm top , mahogany back, slightly hollowed to reduce weight

Neck is Hard Maple / Mahogany / Maple laminate

Board is Indian Rosewood

Looking good and causing a pang of jealousy too.

I have just decided to return to short scale after remembering how nice my Epiphone Rivoli was combined with feeling totally uninspired by all things Fenderish. If I ever have any spare cash (not likely but I can dream.) I will definitely get Paul to make me something weird and wonderful.

Getting closer to the money shots...

Here's a pic of the routing, which has been 'future proofed' in case I want to add a second pup at a later date. Which is basically now tempting me into adding a second pickup straight away! There is also an extra cavity for a 9v in case I decide to go active in the future. These are all things that I hadn't even considered but make me glad that Paul is building me this bass.

Here's a basic idea of how the cavity will be hidden!

Last one for now...

Cheers.

Looking good. It\\\'s really nice to see a grabber inspired instrument, and I like the fact that it\\\'s a slightly more modern take on it :) Have you thought about a tort scracthplate rather than a black one, that could look really nice. A bit like this (crappy pic)

Also the speed of his work is astonishing, you\\\'re going to have this in no time!

Edited by gilmour

Lovely bass! I know it is Grabber like, but, to me it looks slightly like Brian May's "Red Special".
Nice selection of woods, it looks awesome.
The additional cavity work is indicative of Paul's forward thinking; and believe me the build quality will be "spot-on".
Nice one!

[quote name='paul h' post='720904' date='Jan 22 2010, 10:19 AM']Looking good and causing a pang of jealousy too.

I have just decided to return to short scale after remembering how nice my Epiphone Rivoli was combined with feeling totally uninspired by all things Fenderish. If I ever have any spare cash (not likely but I can dream.) I will definitely get Paul to make me something weird and wonderful.[/quote]
These aren't "shorties" by Paul ( Prosebass / Rose Pure Tone) but do come in the weird and wonderful category.

Edited by pricechris10

[quote name='uzzell' post='735188' date='Feb 4 2010, 04:07 PM']Looks lovelly!

Does that mean you'll sell me your Lakland? :)[/quote]

Hmmm, I am very attached to my Lakland and my Jazz but I never say never, I'll have to see how much they're worth in todays market and most importantly how the newbie works out first!

Thanks for the kind words everyone, the bass should hopefully be with me in time for practice next week...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='746158' date='Feb 15 2010, 05:44 PM']I see Westone Thunder influence.[/quote]
100%... This homage to Westone has twin passive humbuckers and a lightweight contoured body with through neck. Complete with gold mirror scratchplate. My first Prosebass.
Very cool basses, by a very cool luthier.

Edited by pricechris10