Why become a member? ×

Easy Livin'

gary mac

Any of you older heads ever played Easy Livin', by Uriah Heep? I've always loved the track, but never had the opportunity to play it.

At a band rehearsal the other night I suggested it, thinking that I would probably get mocked and ridiculed. Anyway they all loved it and we had a bash.

I've almost got it, but there are some pretty speedy licks in there. Glad it's only a short one at two and a half minutes.

Great track - one of the few Uriah Heep tracks that has actually aged ok - some of that mystic tosh sounds rather dated nowdays - and I used to be a bit of a fan in the early 70s. Demons and Wizards was one of the first albums I ever bought.

I've played along with it but never with the band. I was going to suggest it then the keys man left and we haven't replaced him.

[quote name='SteveK' post='714194' date='Jan 15 2010, 07:16 PM']Did several gigs before Christmas with a band who played Easy Livin'. Funnily enough, their whole set consisted of UH songs. They sounded pretty authentic to me.
There was some geezer called Mick Box playing guitar.[/quote]

Worthy we are not.

[quote name='SteveK' post='714194' date='Jan 15 2010, 07:16 PM']Did several gigs before Christmas with a band who played Easy Livin'. Funnily enough, their whole set consisted of UH songs. They sounded pretty authentic to me.

So what are the Heep like these days then Steve?

I did love that band back in the day and only just started listening again over the last few days.

Never stopped listening.
Gary Thain was up there with Chris Squires as my inspiration.
Saw them loads of times as a young teen, remember Ken Hensley, at Newcastle City Hall, starting Rainbow Demon with a sandwich sticking out of his gob.
Same gig, Dave Byron said "here's the first song written by the Beatles". Boxy started a nice little picked intro, Mr Byron started singing Oooh ga ga, Myself and 3999 others pi**ed ourselves laughing.

Time machine please.

Jammed some Heep at the last rehearsal, purely for our own enjoyment. Our singer (who has never really heard them) was rather unimpressed by the lyrics of The Wizard. :) I love Heep, particularly from that period, and I've always been a big fan of Gary Thain. That's the kind of Jazz Bass tone I love.

"if this band make it, I'll commit suicide".

One for the Heap faithful there :)

[quote]Has Trevor Bolder left the band then?[/quote]
No, he's still there...at least, he was in December :)

[quote]So what are the Heep like these days then Steve?[/quote]
Judging by crowd reactions, they still seem to be delivering.

We did several shows with them in Germany, co headlining (alternate nights), for part of their 40th anniversary tour.
There's a bit of history between Heep and ourselves - ex label mates (before my time, of course :rolleyes: )
We still cross paths on a fairly regular basis.