Why become a member? ×

New MESA Carbine Head & Combo...

wateroftyne

I have always for years wanted a Mesa amp and finally pulled the trigger on the M9 Carbine, got the first one in Europe :lol: . First gig with my NV412 I was made up, it had the tone and authority I was after.

Second gig towards the end of the set it just went quiet followed by a nasty burnt plasticky smell that actually filled the pub. So that went back.

Replacement arrived, so I plugged it in at home and noticed the bass boost pull control didnt work. So that went back. Strangely enough the distributors tested it and said they got it to work. Intermittent fault perhaps?

Third replacement arrived, all worked fine at home, first gig with that during the fourth song into the set there was a loud crack, I turned round and the inside of the amp was lighting up and it was making a god awful crackling sound followed by the dreaded smell :lol:

Its not even if the amp was being pushed, first time it went it was with PA support the second was a very small venue, it really was that powerful just ticking over.

So thats kinda put me right off of Mesa. Its a shame because the amp seemed to reek of quality, the sound was sublime and it looked bloody awesome. I still keep thinking about the M-Pulse or wondering about life with a Walkabout but I just dont want to be looking over my shoulder during gigs all the time.

Maybe I was just unlucky, the M6 is going quite strong over here and europe, or maybe because it was such a new model its got a few teething problems. I dunno.

:) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Raggy' post='713286' date='Jan 15 2010, 12:14 AM']Maybe I was just unlucky, the M6 is going quite strong over here and europe, or maybe because it was such a new model its got a few teething problems. I dunno.[/quote]

I heard when the Orange Tiny Terror first came out, a lot of them had to be sent back. I can't remember what the problem was with them but no doubt a teething problem. My guitarist had to send his first back and his replacement has worked without fault since. That was enough to put me off buying a Bass Terror until they've been around for a bit longer.

Getting through three amps in a row is bloody bad luck. It's a shame as well, seeing as you sound pretty happy with everything else about it.

[quote name='alexharvay' post='713410' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:08 AM']Getting through three amps in a row is bloody bad luck. It's a shame as well, seeing as you sound pretty happy with everything else about it.[/quote]

Thats the problem, it had such a good sound

The combo looks great. They need to improve their English/grammar though! Description from website below:

"The New M3 packs the saig-power siblings. This new package satisfies all the Tone requirements of discrimme ultra-fast, naturally musical Carbine preamp and TRANS-CLASS™ power as its binating bassists while being truly wallet-friendly."

I wonder if I am a binating bassist? :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='714768' date='Jan 16 2010, 12:55 PM']"The New M3 packs the saig-power siblings. This new package satisfies all the Tone requirements of discrimme ultra-fast, naturally musical Carbine preamp and TRANS-CLASS™ power as its binating bassists while being truly wallet-friendly."[/quote]

:)

Couldn't make head or tail of that.

And "wallet friendly" my arse. It might end up being wallet friendly for the American market but once the UK distributor has had his mark up and Mesa have done their usual insane UK price hike it's going to be far far far too overpriced.

I love Mesa gear but there's a reason I've never bought anything new by them.

I like the look of it and 300watts should be plenty to carry most gigs. I'm guessing it goes for around $750-$1000 which will magically become somewhere just under £1000. It should be significantly less expensive other MESA gear to justify being an entry level product. This might just mean that the price of other Mesa gear will go up accordingly to make this the case!

Seriously though, I wouldn't trade my Walkabout in for anything now, though if this amp had been available last year I would have been very tempted.

Not the most inspiring of blurbs though as others have mentioned!