Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote name='andyjingram' post='698653' date='Jan 2 2010, 12:26 PM']I thought I might have escaped the matter, but it seems I really must get myself a double bass. I got close last year and managed to resist, but sometimes these things just keep niggling at you until you cave in.

Anyhow, I now realise that the biggest obstacle to overcome here is whether I'll be able to fit a 3/4 size bass into my dear little Ford KA (yes, my wife did choose it, as you ask!).

I've searched around, and it seems to be the case that any small car will, with the right technique, absorb a bass one way or the other, but I couldn't find any specific mention of the KA. Does anyone here get to gigs in such a chariot?

Thanks, Andy[/quote]
Yep, used to get mine around in a micra, with a trace combo and a stand. No probs.....no passengers either mind!
Now use an EUB, but for different reasons.

I used to be able to fit my Upright in my old KA. With the back seats down it used to
just touch the back door and have a couple of inches between the headstock and the
front window. There was also enough room for my combo amp and accessories.
I used to fit a crazy amount of gear in the back of my KA-and another passenger.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='698805' date='Jan 2 2010, 04:30 PM']I thought the old joke was "I should have taken up the harmonica", not "I should have taken up the saw"!

It's good to know that basses have ridden in KA's prior to attempting to squeeze one in there- thanks! I did used to get a Trace 4x10, 1x15 and head in the back of mine with two electric basses on the front seat in a double bag. I think that is why the suspension needs replacing... :)[/quote]

Is that all you could fit in? :lol:

I have been know to fit in my KA - my 2x10 cab,flightcased head, two PA speakers( 12" w/ horn),Box containing Mixing Desk
and leads,speaker and mic stands, 2 basses in seperate gig bags-AND my guitarist,his Marshall combo,guitar,and accessory bag
and both out suit bags!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've also carried my rig with 4x10 plus whole drum kit and drummer.

I've now got a van :rolleyes:

Funny the old saw thing. Some time ago I was clearing out my garage and found an old BG hard case. My young brother had just bought a BG after many years not having played and so I gave it to him. Later when I asked if it was OK he told me that after he had sawn an inch off the headstock the BG fitted perfectly. Thing is, he is such a perfectionist that when I saw his handiwork I couldn't tell that he had shortened it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='698820' date='Jan 2 2010, 04:44 PM']Is that all you could fit in? :lol:

I have been know to fit in my KA - my 2x10 cab,flightcased head, two PA speakers( 12" w/ horn),Box containing Mixing Desk
and leads,speaker and mic stands, 2 basses in seperate gig bags-AND my guitarist,his Marshall combo,guitar,and accessory bag
and both out suit bags!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've also carried my rig with 4x10 plus whole drum kit and drummer.

I've now got a van :)[/quote]

I'm surprised the thing moved with that much in :rolleyes:

[quote name='bassace' post='699295' date='Jan 3 2010, 10:24 AM']Funny the old saw thing. Some time ago I was clearing out my garage and found an old BG hard case. My young brother had just bought a BG after many years not having played and so I gave it to him. Later when I asked if it was OK he told me that after he had sawn an inch off the headstock the BG fitted perfectly. Thing is, he is such a perfectionist that when I saw his handiwork I couldn't tell that he had shortened it.[/quote]
That's hilarious - you mean he actually took a saw to his bass just to take advantage of a free case? Brilliant story, thanks.

[quote name='teej' post='699439' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:07 PM']That's hilarious - you mean he actually took a saw to his bass just to take advantage of a free case? Brilliant story, thanks.[/quote]

Well, we bassaces are good at thinking outside the box, or in this case, inside the box. HNY Teej.

[quote name='andyjingram' post='699438' date='Jan 3 2010, 01:06 PM']Perhaps they should call it the KAdis...

:) Thats 'Dad' humour if ever there was! But I don't have any kids...[/quote]

Funnily enough that was it's nickname. :rolleyes:

[quote name='andyjingram' post='698653' date='Jan 2 2010, 12:26 PM']I thought I might have escaped the matter, but it seems I really must get myself a double bass. I got close last year and managed to resist, but sometimes these things just keep niggling at you until you cave in.

Anyhow, I now realise that the biggest obstacle to overcome here is whether I'll be able to fit a 3/4 size bass into my dear little Ford KA (yes, my wife did choose it, as you ask!).

I've searched around, and it seems to be the case that any small car will, with the right technique, absorb a bass one way or the other, but I couldn't find any specific mention of the KA. Does anyone here get to gigs in such a chariot?

Thanks, Andy[/quote]

might have to remove the passengers seat in the front...but i guess it could be done...
:)

[quote name='mrcrow' post='699671' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:44 PM']might have to remove the passengers seat in the front...but i guess it could be done...
:)[/quote]

No you don't-it will fit in easily with the front seat in place.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='698763' date='Jan 2 2010, 03:04 PM']Just a suggestion:

:)[/quote]

[quote name='oldslapper' post='698767' date='Jan 2 2010, 03:08 PM']Those sound kinda spooky bowed... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Reminds me about the bassist in the Tiger Lillies (is that Adrian Large or Adrian Huge ?) ... he doubles on Saw and Theremin ... all un-pitched instruments, note.

Andy

[quote name='Doddy' post='699678' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:55 PM']No you don't-it will fit in easily with the front seat in place.[/quote]

Yup - as you said earlier in the thread, it will fit with the back seats folded down no problem. You can also get it into the Ka by reclining the passenger seat, then putting the double bass in neck first through the front door. Still takes up two seats but offers different loading possibilities. This method works well for most saloon cars as well.

Recently I went to a gig with my double bass, a keyboard, a couple of rucksacks with stools etc., and the keyboard player himself, all in a Mini Cooper. No problem :-)

[quote name='andyjingram' post='698805' date='Jan 2 2010, 04:30 PM']I did used to get a Trace 4x10, 1x15 and head in the back of mine with two electric basses on the front seat in a double bag. I think that is why the suspension needs replacing... :)[/quote]

A lot of people worry about the weight of music gear in cars, unnecessarily I suggest. If you think about it, a Ford Ka is designed to carry four adult humans (five at a push) with their luggage. If average humans weight about 80kg, with a (small) luggage allowance of 10kg, that allows for a total load of 360kg for four humans. Of course you will be one of these, so that must be taken into account, leaving us with 280kg of payload - over quarter of a ton. That's a [b]lot[/b] of music gear - you will almost certainly max out in volume before weight in your average car.

For example, a heavy bass guitar will weigh about 5kg, so having two of them in a double gig bag is trivial. Even with the leads :-)

According to the specs on the web, a Trace Elliot 4x10 weighs about 26kg. A 1x15 combo is 38kg, which we can include the weight of the head in. Total for all basses and amplification is 74kg, a little less than your average human adult male. So carrying that gear is no problem at all, roughly equivalent to yourself and a single passenger.

For some perspective, an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet weighs about 65 kg - problematic to lift for a single person, but from a weight point of view, you could carry 3 of them in a small car and still be well within the design limits of the vehicle. Of course from a volume (as in dimensions :-) point of view it would never work.

A double bass, while huge, is actually very light, I'd say at a guess less than an average suitcase.

Rant ends!

Jennifer

I used to fit my 4/4 into one of the original Fiat Puntos on a regular basis. I was most impressed by the Fiat Panda diesel we had a couple of years ago. That swallowed three electric basses in flight cases, a Warwick Triumph (EUB) & my two part MarkBass rig amongst other equipment boxes. It's amazing what you can actually get into a small car. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can no longer stop myself. I don't think you will get great tone plugging a DB into a KA. It is just too small, it will not be able produce the fundemental. You would need at least a Focus but really a Mondeo estate to get the full range.

Sorry, I'll get my coat................