Why become a member? ×

Bass for kids

Bass-ic

I've been teaching the very little I know playing bass to my partners daughter and she is loving it. She has learnt a couple of very easy songs. She is 11. Does any one have any suggestions for a suitable smaller bass which would be good for her to learn on as she is finding my bass a bit big right now.
Thanks in advance
Math

Edited by Absolute-beginner

Tanglewood do (well, "did" i think) a really small bass, called the elfin. It's a half-size 26" scale, i was looking at getting my nephew one but he's probably a bit big for one now

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tanglewood-eb-18-mini-childs-bass-guitar-mahogany--46918"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tanglewood-eb...mahogany--46918[/url]

[quote name='yorick' post='691603' date='Dec 22 2009, 03:53 PM'][b]Squier/Fender Broncos[/b]. Also Daisy Rock do a line of guitars and basses aimed at the female market, some of which if i remember correctly include short scale basses.[/quote]

+1 on the broncos, i started learning when i was 11/12 (year 7 anyway) and my first bass was a bronco.

My 11 year old is having bass lessons but is left handed - after discovering there was nothing in the UK that met his needs, the solution I stumbled upon was to import a short-scale SX lefty from the US. Really good value as, including import duties etc, it was still only about £100. Good quality bass too

At 11 I'd definitely go for a fullsize shortscale rather than a half. She'll be a bit small for a while but will grow into it. Any of the above will do the job. Might be a good idea to start her with light gauge strings as well. (Yes I know it's a short scale anyway but 11 year old fingers will most likely struggle with heavier strings). I teach well over 60 Primary students weekly. If you'd like some help with some teaching ideas, drop me a PM.

Edited by leftybassman392