Why become a member? ×

Damon Minchella

iamthewalrus

Hi all,
The band I'm in are looking to do "The Riverboat Song" by Ocean Colour Scene at some point, which led me to digging out my copy of "Moseley Shoals".

Damon Minchella's bass playing on that album is really tasteful, & I really like the tone he gets from his Fender Jazz & (I think) a Gibson EB3.

Anyone else here rate him?

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='685760' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:37 PM']Hi all,
The band I'm in are looking to do "The Riverboat Song" by Ocean Colour Scene at some point, which led me to digging out my copy of "Moseley Shoals".

Damon Minchella's bass playing on that album is really tasteful, & I really like the tone he gets from his Fender Jazz & (I think) a Gibson EB3.

Anyone else here rate him?

Cheers,
iamthewalrus[/quote]

This is the song im getting about learning now. Cant omment on other songs, because i havent heard many others, but i like his playing on this song!!

Always admired him, the cream of the Indie bass crop.
LOVE his white Fender Jazz with the tortie plate and block inlays.
Heard the new OCS single the other day, and it wasn't an instant classic, if you get me...
But still, Damon is a geezer, and certainly can play.
I'm off to find my ocs albums...

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='686944' date='Dec 17 2009, 01:46 AM']He owns Ronnie Lane's [url="http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/H27.php"]Harmony H27[/url] IIRC.. Ronnie Lanes wife gave it to him or something. And I did see him playing that with Paul Weller on a DVD at some point.

Am I remembering correctly?

Didn't know he played a Gibson EB3 though... is that confirmed?[/quote]

I've been going over some stuff out of a 6 year old copy of "Total Guitar - Bass Special" from 2003 which had a lesson from DM - he's a bit of an Andy Fraser fan & said he had a Gibson EB3 like Andy's.

I saw DM play with Paul Weller at The Forum in Kentish Town a few years back (when "As is Now" came out) - that night he was using an Ampeg rig with his White Jazz & a White P-Bass (the P-Bass spent the night in it's stand though).

His playing on "The Players" album with Steve White & Mick Talbot is pretty cool as well. Nice to see DM's got some fans on the forum :)

Cheers,
iamthewalrus