Why become a member? ×

Warm up exercises when you can't physically play?

Sarah5string

I'm not sure about warm ups when you can't actually play, but I find a good pair of gloves always helps and just keep your fingers moving to get the circulation going. Help to prevent damage in the same way that you'd warm up before going running or cycling.

Probably not the advice you were looking for, but I sometimes get circulation issues with my fingers and I find that this helps. It doesn't help that some of the rehearsel places I've played in have been so cold that Ranulph Fiennes is planning expeditions to them...!

Kets

do some physio on your hands before you get there, I try to do it before I play and it does make a difference. Stretch your fingers and your forearms, you should be able to get some decent vids of what to do on youtube. this is a good one:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVd9XemSAOA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVd9XemSAOA[/url]

Wow! This'll sound messy , but stick with it......

1.) open hand
2.)bend index finger and ring finger together towards your palm
3.)keep those two fingers where they are and hold them down with your thumb.
4,)while doing this ,raise pinkey(littlefinger) and other finger and stretch them GENTLY as high as you can
5.) Alternate fingers.
6.)you may decide to do one or two hands at a time,it's up to you. but go easy .

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing. :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I don't think it's about strength,so I wouldn't personally bother
with a powerball.
Your best bet is to just take it easy when you first pick up the
bass. Run a few exercises slowly and don't try to rush things.
I've never done any hand exercises before playing,just take it easy
for a few minutes and you shouldn't have any problems.

To be blunt - a lesson is a lesson not a gig - you should not have to 'impress' your teacher with astonishing displays of technique (if you can, he probably isn't the right teacher - arguable) and any teacher who requires you to start a lesson with Donna Lee etc is clearly a prat. You should be able to warm up perfectly adequately by a few hand stretches as you go in through the front door of your teachers house/shop/studio or by a few moments of simple, comfortable playing.

I know its a temptation to try and impress your teacher but if s/he is worth their salt, you will a, almost certainly fail, b, make yourself look immature and c, waste half your lesson showimg off what you know and learning nothing (which was, after all, the point of you going to the teacher in the first place).

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='680037' date='Dec 10 2009, 11:05 AM']To be blunt - a lesson is a lesson not a gig - you should not have to 'impress' your teacher with astonishing displays of technique (if you can, he probably isn't the right teacher - arguable) and any teacher who requires you to start a lesson with Donna Lee etc is clearly a prat. You should be able to warm up perfectly adequately by a few hand stretches as you go in through the front door of your teachers house/shop/studio or by a few moments of simple, comfortable playing.

I know its a temptation to try and impress your teacher but if s/he is worth their salt, you will a, almost certainly fail, b, make yourself look immature and c, waste half your lesson showimg off what you know and learning nothing (which was, after all, the point of you going to the teacher in the first place).[/quote]
Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense. :) I was more worried about over working my hands/fingers more than anything while I'm getting back used to playing daily :rolleyes:

S5S
Welcome back.

I use this fingering excersize to warm up with. You can start it anywhere, but the key is to do it smoothly and slowly until you have it with no noises buzzes etc. Once you've done this you can play it as fast as you like.
So, starting on any fret and any string, but keeping moving around the fret board
1 2 3 4 4 3 2 1 1 4 3 4 2 4 3 4 1.

Im sure there are plenty of other and probably better ideas out there but this works for me. It has a bit of history as it was an exersize started by a famous and very well known guitar player.
I hope this helps
Matt

I notice you've grown a second head while youve been away from Bass chat!

Edited by Absolute-beginner

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='679509' date='Dec 9 2009, 08:29 PM']Wow! This'll sound messy , but stick with it......

1.) open hand
2.)bend index finger and ring finger together towards your palm
3.)keep those two fingers where they are and hold them down with your thumb.
4,)while doing this ,raise pinkey(littlefinger) and other finger and stretch them GENTLY as high as you can
5.) Alternate fingers.
6.)you may decide to do one or two hands at a time,it's up to you. but go easy .

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing. :)[/quote]

That's exactly what I do. Works well.

[quote name='Absolute-beginner' post='680391' date='Dec 10 2009, 04:15 PM']S5S
Welcome back.

I use this fingering excersize to warm up with. You can start it anywhere, but the key is to do it smoothly and slowly until you have it with no noises buzzes etc. Once you've done this you can play it as fast as you like.
So, starting on any fret and any string, but keeping moving around the fret board
1 2 3 4 4 3 2 1 1 4 3 4 2 4 3 4 1.

Im sure there are plenty of other and probably better ideas out there but this works for me. It has a bit of history as it was an exersize started by a famous and very well known guitar player.
I hope this helps
Matt

I notice you've grown a second head while youve been away from Bass chat![/quote]

Great exercise... but not when you can't physically play bass.. :) lol

what i've done to warm up before a gig without my bass (tho i'm sure i'll be told it's a bad thing to do)

...is to put you fretting hand flat on the table, with your forearm about 30 deg to the palm, and the raise each finger in turn off the table. it doesn't matter if you can't raise them much, just go round them a few times, but try not to raise the other fingers.

ymmv

Edited by ahpook