Why become a member? ×

My unintentional Fender Precision Phil Lynott Tribute

Delberthot

This happened totally by accident. I had a mid 80s MIJ Eseries Fender precision but it had some chips on the paintwork through to the body and being a bit OCD when it comes to marks I decided to sell the bass on Ebay.

Then the original owner got in touch with me to say that the tuners were off a 1978 Fender Precision and it had an SD vintage pickup in it. I decided to take the bass off and then put the loaded body back on instead. Ii kept the neck as I liked it, plus it had the old mojo snake oil tuners on it.

I had a look for bodies on Ebay and couldn't find anything, then i stumbled across a brand new black MIM body. I didn't realise how new until i got it - its stamped October 2009. Bought from reliablefender in the US.

I've been humming and hawing for ages about getting another Lollar pickup so decided to go for it. I already had a set of CTS pots, switchcraft jack and a new batch of paper-in-oil caps.

I originally bought a Fender spiral saddle bridge but that never arrived from the US to ended up ordering a Gotoh 201 as I prefer them over Badass bridges.

I was stuck when it came to the scratchplate - most new ones come with white 3 ply ones and tortoiseshell was totally out of the question cos it looks hellish and belongs on something off the antiques roadshow - Michael Aspel, that's it.

It came down to black or mirror. In the end I went for mirror - WD do MIM specific scratchplates and there seem to be a lot of sellers selling replacement guards for Fenders, then tell you at the bottom that they may not fit. Eh?

Finished off with a bargain set of D'Addario prosteels delivered for the princely sum of £11 from USA and a tie fighter pilot volume knob

I set out to find another body but ended up recreating a classic bass. I remember seeing one like this in the original Guitar Store in Glasgow about 18 years ago and I'm sure it had a tremelo as well.

Played it last night for the first time and I absolutely love it. It plays extremely well. The neck pocket is tight as a drum and it sounds effing amazing. Don't know if I am sold on the prosteels - I actually liked the rotosounds that i had on my other precision so might give them a couple of gigs to settle down then decided whether to change them or not.

Edited by Delberthot

Nice looking bass. Not sure on the tie-fighter and the mirror, though! :) To each their own, though!

As to your tort scratch guard comments, I'm not sure on that one. The P isn't exactly a modern bass, it's a relic of the 50's. Isn't it meant to look "classic"?

Bet that Lollar sounds huge, though!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='675673' date='Dec 6 2009, 01:44 PM']Nice looking bass. Not sure on the tie-fighter and the mirror, though! :) To each their own, though!

As to your tort scratch guard comments, I'm not sure on that one. The P isn't exactly a modern bass, it's a relic of the 50's. Isn't it meant to look "classic"?

Bet that Lollar sounds huge, though![/quote]

When I said classic, I meant the Phil Lynott bass is one of those famous basses that most bass players recognise.

Too much time spent on Talkbs with thread after thread of 'show us your tort guards' made me really despise them. I think sunburst is the only colour that really gets away with it.

The pickup is phenomenal. about £85 delivered but well worth it.

Oh, I also have Darth Vader, C3P0 and Boba Fett knobs - do you think one of those would look better? :rolleyes: I've also got the matching Star Wars strap - all released by Schecter in the 90s, I bought the set

Edited by Delberthot

like it and love the mirrored plate. Now all you have to do is make sure you have a light shining at it when you are on stage :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='675727' date='Dec 6 2009, 02:37 PM']Heh! I have to admit ignorance here and tell you that I don't know who Phil Lynott is!

<--- Classical/Jazz musician![/quote]
he's the bloke who married Leslie Crowther's daughter.

• 2 months later...

I spent some time contemplating whther or not to sell this recently and realise that there is no way I am going to be parting with it so i decided to fit the FretFX LEDs that I've had for the last few weeks.

Looks a bit untidy at the front so I may see if i can get some light coloured tape to cover the black

The back is quite neat

Side shot

And the moment you've all been waiting for - LEDs on:

Not as neat as Martin Sims would do but then again these cost £50 and came with 5 batteries.

They go on and off by simply inserting the battery. If you don't want them on the just pull the battery out and insert it the wrong way so you don't lose it.

Mine came set for a 21 fret bass but mine is only 20 so it had an extra LED - I just cut it short so that it didn;t disappear off the end of the neck at the body end

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='675727' date='Dec 6 2009, 02:37 PM']Heh! I have to admit ignorance here and tell you that I don't know who Phil Lynott is!

<--- Classical/Jazz musician![/quote]

MB1. :)
:lol: ....Inexcusable Rich! :rolleyes:

Nice Bass by the way!... id rather see this with the Mirror Scratchplate (as per Phil Lynott) than the Peavey bass i saw the other day!..Lose the tai fighter? :lol:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='752985' date='Feb 21 2010, 05:08 PM']This bass becomes cooler by the minute! I still keep thinking of getting one of the lovely glossed neck 50's Precisions with the gold scratch guard and doing some serious upgrading... Hmmm...[/quote]

Get one of the MIM classic series Rich, I've played three now and they've all been beautiful. Plus they all come with Gold Scratchplates :)

I love the starwars touch, and the rest of the bass. I'd probably loose the LEDs but I'm a purist. I play (and have always played) roto's. I was given a set of d'adarios by a producer, they didn't stay for long. I've learned to stick with what I know where strings are concearned these days. Where'd you get the knob from? I want one!

I took the prosteels off after 1 gig - hated them so I'm back to my favourite dead rotos again.

I bought the set of knobs and matching strap from a store in the US. Fernandes produced them at the same time as they did the star wars guitars. They did plectrums and other stuff as well

I've got the tie fighter pilot, darth vader, C3P0 and Boba Fett

[quote name='Delberthot' post='752952' date='Feb 21 2010, 04:41 PM']I spent some time contemplating whther or not to sell this recently and realise that there is no way I am going to be parting with it so i decided to fit the FretFX LEDs that I've had for the last few weeks.

Looks a bit untidy at the front so I may see if i can get some light coloured tape to cover the black

The back is quite neat

Side shot

And the moment you've all been waiting for - LEDs on:

Not as neat as Martin Sims would do but then again these cost £50 and came with 5 batteries.

They go on and off by simply inserting the battery. If you don't want them on the just pull the battery out and insert it the wrong way so you don't lose it.

Mine came set for a 21 fret bass but mine is only 20 so it had an extra LED - I just cut it short so that it didn;t disappear off the end of the neck at the body end[/quote]

loving the leds was gonnae go for a set myself. what do you think so far, worth the cash?

where did you order from? really want these but a bit worried i'd pull the wire off

cheers ian