Why become a member? ×

Obscure Musical Backwaters - The Great SGC Nanyo Thread

Happy Jack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bass Collection logoed gig bag - £15

whatsapp://send?text=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gumtree.com%2Fp%2Fguitar-instrument%2Fbass-case.-soft-%2F1460622468%3Futm_source%3DWhatsApp%252B%26utm_medium%3DSocial%26utm_campaign%3Dsocialbuttons

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, steviedee said:

Anyone got any suggestions for a replacement bridge for an SB315? I've replaced the tuners and knobs but stuck on the bridge ... got a Song IL but it was too big!

I put one of these Gotohs on my four string fretless. It fitted fine and has done a good job. image.thumb.png.fb552655151a08eb97078b3090f92d33.png

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, I wonder if anyone could help me.

I have what I believe to be an SB 303 (4-string fretless), although I thought the 303s were all passive. I bought it on FleaBay, and the previous owner had swapped out the original electronics for a Glockenklang pre-amp. Long story short, shortly after my buying it, the battery in the Glockenklang suddenly heated up and wrecked the whole pre-amp.

No matter, I still had the original Bass Collection electronics. I had a local guitar shop wire it in for me - I know nothing about wiring stuff up. With everything wide open, there is one, very usable and decent sound. However, the individual pots seem to make no sense whatsoever. The way the pots react, I can't seem to even guess at what their functions are. Could anyon tell me where I might find a wiring diagram?

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

Edited by SICbass

10 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Upper front is PAN, upper rear is VOLUME, lower front/rear are Treble & Bass boost/cut.

There's no parametric / sweepable mids.

Thanks for the super-quick help Jack. The odd thing is, that the upper rear (i.e. volume) is indented and the lower rear (bass - boost/cut) isn't. Do you reckon the guy wired the two the wrong way around? Would the bass even work (i.e. make a noise) that way?

1 hour ago, SICbass said:

Thanks for the super-quick help Jack. The odd thing is, that the upper rear (i.e. volume) is indented and the lower rear (bass - boost/cut) isn't. Do you reckon the guy wired the two the wrong way around? Would the bass even work (i.e. make a noise) that way?

I have one of these at home (and I'm pretty sure I have another complete preamp too) 

I'll see what mine are like and let you know later

Edit - mine is also fretless, you don't see many!

Edited by BreadBin

20240424_192305.thumb.jpg.99b1bcab3a70ae4e739a7786dbaf3636.jpgMine is configured thusly

(edited to add) @SICbass

I've colour coded the pots as mine are in completely different places to yours and also neither match @Happy Jack's description 😃

Upper front - volume, no indent, green

Lower front - pan, indented, blue

Upper rear - bass, indented, red

Lower rear - treble, indented, yellow 

Judging by the tape it's been apart at some point...

Edited by BreadBin
More info

Three should have a centre detent - the pickup blend and the bass & treble cut & boosts. Set them all to the centre.

The one without the detent is the volume. Turn it all the way up and plug the bass into the amp.

Take a screwdriver (or anything metal) and gently tap on the split pickup. Now, rotate the other three pots one at a time. When you cut one of them, the sound of you tapping the pickup will disappear from the amp completely. That's your pickup blend.

Of the remaining two pots, you should be able to figure out which is which by boosting or cutting. The treble will get very bright when you boost, very dull when you cut, but do it when the other EQ pot is centred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

Upper front - volume, no indent, green

Lower front - pan, indented, blue

Upper rear - bass, indented, red

Lower rear - treble, indented, yellow

I had 4 Bass Collections at one point and this is how the standard pre-amp was configured.

Then I changed them all for Glockenklang pre-amps.

13 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Three should have a centre detent - the pickup blend and the bass & treble cut & boosts. Set them all to the centre.

The one without the detent is the volume. Turn it all the way up and plug the bass into the amp.

Take a screwdriver (or anything metal) and gently tap on the split pickup. Now, rotate the other three pots one at a time. When you cut one of them, the sound of you tapping the pickup will disappear from the amp completely. That's your pickup blend.

Of the remaining two pots, you should be able to figure out which is which by boosting or cutting. The treble will get very bright when you boost, very dull when you cut, but do it when the other EQ pot is centred.

Thank you to everybody for your help.

Particularly Doctor J for the breakdown on how to establish which pot is which. So, it seems like this:

Lower front - is the mix pot

Upper front - is treble cut/boost

Lower rear - is volume

Upper rear - should be bass cut/boost, however it seems  behave more like a second volume which doesn't quite go 100% off.

Is it possible that the guy from the shop wired one or other pots to the wrong part of the central board (i.e. the blue thingy attached to a board)? Or would that then cease to function altogether?

• Like 1