Why become a member? ×

P.A. cab for bass

Bay Splayer

am looking for an 8 ohm 2x15 bass cab..... 300watts rms +

when i hit the google button i get loads of PA cabs

would these be ok as bass cabs as many bass 2x15`s have a horn as do the pa cabs?

not worried abouth the horn (ooer missus) as i will buy a 2x10/4x10 later on when funds allow

i intend to power the cabs with the hartke lh500

ta

mark

There was a thread detailing this a while ago, i think Warwickhunt brought it up when he was selling his Peavey Hisys 2 cabs

Most PA cabs (providing they're full-range and can handle the lows) should be usable, some will be frighteningly good and make you wonder why you bother with expensive bass gear when a pair of Peaveys can be had for under £150

FWIW i had to use 2 old EV bass bins when my old cab began to rattle. They were 1 x 15" cabs and sounded better than my 2 x 15 bass cab, made me wonder if i should have stuck with them instead of getting my bass cab fixed!

EDIT - Think this was it:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58679&hl=peavey+hisys"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...hl=peavey+hisys[/url]

EDIT 2 - I'm quite obviously lying, it was actually here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58655&hl=pa+cabs+for+bass"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...a+cabs+for+bass[/url]

Edited by lemmywinks

I have to say that I'm presently using one of my Peavey HiSys II 1x15 PA cabs that I [s]have[/s] had for sale, as a cab to use for bass at my rehearsal space... and it works fantastically well as a bass cab regardless of the fact that it has an unattenuated horn! Obviously I'll add the caveat that I'm not saying that ANY PA cab mated to ANY bass amp will do as well but I can't see why it shouldn't. Full range PA cabs are intended to reproduce the 'full range' of sounds that a band produce and that includes the bottom end. Just consider the fact that most 15" PA cabs have reasonable sized enclosures so they have plenty of internal volume, so bass reproduction shouldn't be an issue. With regard to top end (or the potential to produce too much top end); if it isn't produced/generated by your bass/playing style then the amp and then subsequent cab have nothing to 'reproduce'. :)

My first rig was a Carlsberg Cobra 90 bass head going into a Peavey PA cab loaded with an Eminence 15" & a horn. The amp was crap but the cab took anything I could throw at it.
Currently planning on adding a PA sub to my combo (I like a very bassy sound).

[quote name='Bay Splayer' post='672396' date='Dec 2 2009, 07:07 PM']am looking for an 8 ohm 2x15 bass cab..... 300watts rms +

when i hit the google button i get loads of PA cabs

would these be ok as bass cabs as many bass 2x15`s have a horn as do the pa cabs?

not worried abouth the horn (ooer missus) as i will buy a 2x10/4x10 later on when funds allow

i intend to power the cabs with the hartke lh500

ta

mark[/quote]

First rig: 2x15 plus a 4x10?
Play a lot of stadiums?
:)

So, if a PA cab is likely to prove capable as a bass guitar cab, does the same hold true of powered PA cabs vs Bass power amps?
How about passive bass >> preamp pedal (eg hartke bass attack, SABDDI, etc) >> powered PA monitor (eg 300W 1x15 + horn)? Anyone use this kind of setup instead of a conventional bass amp / cab rig?

[quote name='Earbrass' post='673292' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:42 PM']So, if a PA cab is likely to prove capable as a bass guitar cab, does the same hold true of powered PA cabs vs Bass power amps?[/quote]

Some PA cabs are outstanding for bass but some are appalling. The bigger and more expensive they are, the better they tend to be. I'd run a mile from using most cheap PA cabs for bass but if you can find a nice big and not el cheapo one for a good price secondhand then go for it!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='673300' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:48 PM']Some PA cabs are outstanding for bass but some are appalling. The bigger and more expensive they are, the better they tend to be. I'd run a mile from using most cheap PA cabs for bass but if you can find a nice big and not el cheapo one for a good price secondhand then go for it!

Alex[/quote]

+1 Sometimes use my band's spare 1x15+horn PA cab on smaller gigs. Its an ASS cab with B&C drivers and sounds just fine.

I have a PA cab for sale in 'Other musically related stuff for sale' on here - think it may fall into the 'el cheapo' category at £25 though!!!
Still, may be okay for someone starting out etc.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='673300' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:48 PM']Some PA cabs are outstanding for bass but some are appalling. The bigger and more expensive they are, the better they tend to be. I'd run a mile from using most cheap PA cabs for bass but if you can find a nice big and not el cheapo one for a good price secondhand then go for it!

Alex[/quote]

Name names? :)
What about Andy's Warfdale evp-x15's? What's the tech view Alex?