Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee sig acceptable?

deathpanda

I've been exremely frustrated lately with a Geddy Lee signature jazz I ordered of ebay... the dude explained that there were a few dents and dips in the neck, and that it had been "well looked after", which I was completely fine with, looking at the pictures... The bass arrived a couple of weeks ago, and where do I begin?

The intonation was screwed, I fixed it myself but it was insanely bad... The tiny "dents" in the neck were big enough to rest my thumb in (not cool, when you're sliding up and down the neck). There's some blue ink on the neck, near the neck pup, and blotches on the back of the body when you look in the light... There are dents and scratches all over the body... A screw on the saddle of the A string is missing, which means the A string is lower than the rest (I should also note the action is ridiculously high)... The cherry on top? The e string is considerably quieter than the other strings, so when I was half proud of my brand new bass and decided to gig with it, I ended up having to seriously thump the e string to be heard. Only recently have I noticed how poor the bass is overall.

My question is this; have any of you experienced something like this on ebay and successfully been able to get a refund? Would you be able to explain the process of going about doing it? My guess that I can't get a refund, and that I've been completely ripped off (not my first time on ebay).

I paid £400 for it, which is cheaper than it would have cost new, but I still find it very sick in the head that someone would sell it in this condition. Perhaps someone able to fix it here would like to take it off me or do a trade?

Thanks in advanced for reading this, I will try to get some pictures up later if anyone's interested.

Edited by deathpanda

Just sounds to me like an instrument that's been owned by someone who doesn't know how to take care of his stuff and doesn't care enough about it to not pass his problems onto other people. He probably didn't even realise he was ripping you off, he probably just doesn't give a sh*t about the condition of his gear. I've met loads of guys like this, they show up to play gigs with crappy little amps and ask if they can use your expensive rig, and if you let them more often than not you'll get it back with broken jack inputs and beer spilled in it. I've known guys who could turn a new guitar in perfect condition into an irreparable wreck in the space of about two months because they don't understand that if you don't take care of instruments they fall apart.

If I were you I'd demand a full refund, as the bass is clearly not in the condition advertised. He might decide to be a dick about it, and unfortunately if he does your only option is to take it up with eBay.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='667973' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:17 AM']If I were you I'd demand a full refund, as the bass is clearly not in the condition advertised. He might decide to be a dick about it, and unfortunately if he does your only option is to take it up with eBay.[/quote]

I have bought tons of gear from ebay over the years.
Never had any hassle with basses or amps, but know a few mates who havent been very lucky on there though. I did have one kinda srange one alright:
Last year, I bought two EHX pedals off a bloke in Brighton. He mentioned in the listing that they were worn but functioning 100%
I figured fair enough, and went with it. They arrived and neither worked at all. Emailed him, no reply. I kept up trying to get him to take them back but to no avail. So got on to ebay. They must´ve got him to change his mind and he agreed to take them back.
Then about a month later I got a package in the post. opened it up and there were the two pedals- in perfect working order!
There was also a note inside saying he was sorry for being a D**k and he´d gone and got them repaired.
So I got a refund AND the pedals.
Strange place is ebay!

Had a Geddy Lee and loved it dearly! The neck is the best part, so slim and fast. If there was any reason to send that beat up one back, it´d be the imperfections on the neck.
The fact that the pickups arent putting out what they should would be pretty important to!

ive had a similar experience recently buying a bass on ebay.the buyer said excellent condition
it has serious belt buckling on the back all the control knobs were bent and to top it off he sent it to me just in a gig bag?
although he isnt the worst someone once sent me a bass wrapped in a binbag doh!
anyhow im gonna keep hold of it and refurb it as its not beyond fixing and only cost me £75
but i would say your well within your rights to return it,depending how long you have had it
if you bought it with paypal you can raise a claim with them ive had three recently and got all my money back

If you used a credit card through Paypal you can get you can retract your payment, I think. I've not done it before myself but I've heard about it. If the item wasn't as described then it's completely unacceptable and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

I would request a refund from the guy & once he agrees, return the bass - if he values his Ebay account & reputation at all he's being a complete moron attempting to sell an item that's not [b]exactly[/b] as described.

If he's arsey about it, don't worry; Ebay/Paypal will give you a refund - sellers have zero rights & zero protection these days and you can get your money back with no problem - Paypal can just remove it from his account without his agreement. If you are entirely amoral you can get to keep the bass, too, because there's sod all he can do to make you return it.

Jon.

Given the damage to the bass I'd say you would be well within your rights to return it for a refund under the 'significantly not as described' policy. I agree that the neck is a huge plus point on this bass and it seems a shame you can't get to enjoy it the way you should. Maxrossell is probably right in saying the guy probably doesn't even know how bad it's condition is.
Had a similar experience on ebay recently with a Geddy I bought. The bass itself is fairly good condition, bought it for £500 and has a J Retro system fitted which sounds great. Problem is the guy posted it out in a gigbag and it arrived with the machines ruined and some very large dings in the paintwork. When I contacted him he said he'd get in touch with the couriers and asked for damage pics, repair quotes etc. I sent him this off about six weeks ago now and since then the guy has refused to answer any mails I send him regarding the issue, got to say he's behaving like a real pratt. I'm down money on the tuners but on the upside now have some very nice hipshots fitted instead.

Personally-speaking, I think that as you've had the bass for two weeks, this is really your problem now.

It is down to the buyer, in my opinion, to look at the instrument once it arrives and evaluate there and then if it matches the description.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a downer here, and I feel for you that you're unhappy with your bass, but I really think two weeks is too late to leave it, how would an independant body know that you hadn't caused half of the damage mentioned?

It's worth getting in touch and explaining you are not happy, but unless the seller's tone is agressive enough to make you dig your heels in, I would write it off to experience.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='667973' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:17 AM']He probably didn't even realise he was ripping you off, he probably just doesn't give a sh*t about the condition of his gear.[/quote]

I think you're right - Ebay's full of people selling stuff they have no clue about. Much nicer to buy it from here, you stand a better chance of getting something decent, that's been well looked after.

You've spent £400 on it and it's not as described, get a refund but contact the guy first and be reasonable.

I've kicked up a fuss over something that cost me £4, never mind 10 times that much!

If the seller thinks it was in reasonable condition and you have taken good photographs to prove otherwise then you'll win

er...
it has one grub screw missing, and is in need of a set up. Other than that the dings on the next he could claim he told you about.

The E string would be quieter if the A was lower and you lowered that side of the pup to compensate?

The guy dousn't know how to take care of instruments, he's an idiot, but it doesn't sound malicious. If you are the sort of person who plays a bass set up like that then presumably the dents are not going to be a problem for you.

Given that when you buy any bass you are going to have to set it up for you're playing style and change strings i figure you're out of pocket one bridge grub screw and a difference in how big small is.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='668237' date='Nov 28 2009, 01:24 PM']er...
it has one grub screw missing, and is in need of a set up. Other than that the dings on the next he could claim he told you about.

The E string would be quieter if the A was lower and you lowered that side of the pup to compensate?

The guy dousn't know how to take care of instruments, he's an idiot, but it doesn't sound malicious. If you are the sort of person who plays a bass set up like that then presumably the dents are not going to be a problem for you.

Given that when you buy any bass you are going to have to set it up for you're playing style and change strings i figure you're out of pocket one bridge grub screw and a difference in how big small is.[/quote]

I dunno man, if I bought a bass that was described as "well looked after", which mitigates the "few dents in the neck" thing (every used guitar, even well-maintained, probably has some sort of little nick somewhere on the neck), but received a bass that was basically unplayable due to bad adjustment and a missing part, and had mystery blue stains on it and what deathpanda's describing as great big divots in the neck, I'd want a refund, because not only does the additional damage mean that I should have paid less for it, but also God knows what issues I'm gonna get down the line (a bad setup if left for too long can permanently damage a bass).

Thanks for all the replies, I have taken something from all of them. I think I will ask for a small refund just to cover a professional setup, do you think that is reasonable?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='668237' date='Nov 28 2009, 01:24 PM']The E string would be quieter if the A was lower and you lowered that side of the pup to compensate?[/quote]

I'm not sure at all to be honest, all the strings have full volume apart from the e. I don't wanna mess about with anything myself because I have no experience with repairing instruments. I can restring and do the intonation, I think that's all I'm comfortable with.

I think the dings in the neck (i don't know how deep they are) make all the difference between setup preferences and actual damage, unless you prefer to play an uneven neck!

It's one of the most critical playing areas and if it has significant damage then i'd be wanting a full or partial refund. If the dings are going to affect how you play every time you pick the bass up then it's quite a big deal

Just my 2ps worth!

[quote name='deathpanda' post='668252' date='Nov 28 2009, 01:44 PM']I think I will ask for a small refund just to cover a professional setup, do you think that is reasonable?[/quote]

Yeah, it's reasonable, so you won't get it.

Start off by asking for a full refund. If he doesn't want to do that, then either take it up with eBay or negotiate down to a refund for a setup. Like £50 minimum. Don't forget that he sold you a bass that was less valuable than he advertised, and a pro setup isn't going to fix the dents in the neck.

I actually think you should be a bit of a hardass about this one, because what he did wasn't acceptable.

Deathpanda. Give Terry (TJC Guitars) a call:

• Telephone: 01438 216342
• Fax: 01438 216342
• Email: [email protected]

He's easily half the price of any other luthier around here, turns the work over quickly and won't give you any rubbish and sell you things you don't need.

He'll sort it out, I think you'll be able to get somewhere with the ebayer for the cost of a setup.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='maxrossell' post='668899' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:38 AM']Yeah, it's reasonable, so you won't get it.

Start off by asking for a full refund. If he doesn't want to do that, then either take it up with eBay or negotiate down to a refund for a setup. Like £50 minimum. Don't forget that he sold you a bass that was less valuable than he advertised, and a pro setup isn't going to fix the dents in the neck.

I actually think you should be a bit of a hardass about this one, because what he did wasn't acceptable.[/quote]

Unless the ebayer is reading this thread, if so, then you may need to go round his house.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='668922' date='Nov 29 2009, 09:34 AM']Deathpanda. Give Terry (TJC Guitars) a call:

• Telephone: 01438 216342
• Fax: 01438 216342
• Email: [email protected]

He's easily half the price of any other luthier around here, turns the work over quickly and won't give you any rubbish and sell you things you don't need.

He'll sort it out, I think you'll be able to get somewhere with the ebayer for the cost of a setup.

Cheers,
James[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I'm taking the bass to a close family friend today to have a look at it. He's pretty handy with repairs and stuff, but if he can't do it, I will give Terry a call. Again, cheers.

[quote name='SS73' post='669007' date='Nov 29 2009, 11:39 AM']Unless the ebayer is reading this thread, if so, then you may need to go round his house.[/quote]

If only!

You are unhappy with the item, it is not as described and it's not up to you to put right.

Ask for a full refund and offer to return the bass at your cost with proof of delivery (under £10 via parcel2go).

Why would the seller have a problem with that ?

If he does, instigate a paypal claim and leave negative feedback.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='669221' date='Nov 29 2009, 04:42 PM']Still playing Devil's Advocaat here, but because it's two weeks after delivery? If you sold a bass and didn't hear anything until now, wouldn't YOU be a little peeved that this has taken so long to surface?[/quote]

Yes and no. I agree with your point that the onus is on the buyer to check out his purchase on arrival but sometimes life gets in the way of doing an in-depth checkup. Like, my new upright arrived about three weeks ago, but with a 9 month teething and barely sleeping I haven't had a chance to give it a good blattering. It feels lovely, sounds lovely, etc, but three weeks later I still don't 'know' the instrument as well I would have before my kid came along. If eBay gives you 30 days then you have 30 days. After that, you're on your own.

To me the bottom line is the item isn't as described so you're entitled, under eBay rules, to ask for your money back. And it was £400!!! Doesn't matter if that's a good price for a Geddy Lee Signature bass. If you'd ordered a £2 coffee and the waiter brought you a £2 tea you'd ask for what you originally ordered. The price is irrelevant when you don't get what you paid for.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='maxrossell' post='668247' date='Nov 28 2009, 01:37 PM']I dunno man, if I bought a bass that was described as "well looked after", which mitigates the "few dents in the neck" thing (every used guitar, even well-maintained, probably has some sort of little nick somewhere on the neck), but received a bass that was basically unplayable due to bad adjustment and a missing part, and had mystery blue stains on it and what deathpanda's describing as great big divots in the neck, I'd want a refund, because not only does the additional damage mean that I should have paid less for it, but also God knows what issues I'm gonna get down the line (a bad setup if left for too long can permanently damage a bass).[/quote]

actually i do agree. i was playing devils advocate, try get your money back if you can.

This item was not as described and the buyer is entitled to a refund if that is what he wants.

It would have been better if he had made his claim immediately, but he is a decent chap trying to find ways round the issues and 2 weeks isn't too long to decide you aren't happy with an item.

The seller can re-list and sell it again, so what's the problem ?