Why become a member? ×

It's probably been mentioned before but...

Beedster

Not sure who this should be aimed at but is there any chance that we could have something done about the 1-minute thingy on PMs. OK, I can understand the logic of not being able to send a PM immediately after you've sent one in relation to spamming etc, but could we at least be able to start writing a new PM immediately even if we can't send for one minute after the last? It's a real pain if you've logged on to about 10 PMs and you only have a few minutes to reply to find that the whole process will take at least 20 minutes. Even more of a pain if all you need to say is "sorry mate, it's sold" :)

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='666134' date='Nov 26 2009, 12:24 PM']It would be even better if the 1-minute thingy only applied to new members (post count less than 50 or something).

S.P.[/quote]

Bad idea. Spambots come on here, post 51 posts and PM everyone spam or worse.

I say, make it the length you've been a member. A year or more of at least 1 post per day (average), and you can send PMs without restriction.

But then hacked accounts come into question, and then we have a problem.
How about those CAPTCHA things or whatever they're called

How about reducing the interval to 30 seconds or less? That would still stop automated posting but make it less likely that normal users would be caught out by it.

I agree with Beedster, it is a slight irritation especially if you've only got a few moments to check the forum.

[quote name='iamapirate' post='669212' date='Nov 29 2009, 04:32 PM']I say, make it the length you've been a member. A year or more of at least 1 post per day (average), and you can send PMs without restriction.[/quote]

Which, if I read this motion correctly, even though I've been a member since the site migrated, and was a member at the previous incarnations, with a relatively limited number of posts in proportion to the time I've been a member, I'd be excluded from PM'ing without restriction.

A member is a member, irrespective of length of membership of, or degree of participation in, the forum. Only those who transgress, breaking the rules regulating the community, should have limitations placed on them. Any other situation is iniquitous.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='675363' date='Dec 6 2009, 12:43 AM']Which, if I read this motion correctly, even though I've been a member since the site migrated, and was a member at the previous incarnations, with a relatively limited number of posts in proportion to the time I've been a member, I'd be excluded from PM'ing without restriction.

A member is a member, irrespective of length of membership of, or degree of participation in, the forum. Only those who transgress, breaking the rules regulating the community, should have limitations placed on them. Any other situation is iniquitous.[/quote]
ok, my bad. Say a post a month? What I mean is, a spambot will either be:

a) a new member
:) an inactive member and/or
c) a member with a low post count.