Why become a member? ×

DarkStar P

DanOwens

Well guys, this baby's been in action for nearly a year but I never felt I had pics that did her justice.

I had a session in Rockfield Studios, Wales, and the MD hired a photographer. She took these:

And here's one of my early attempts:

The parts bass was bought on the old Bassworld, but I've added the ashtray, DarkStar and the absolutely Pimpin Paisley pickguard.

This is always how I imagined I'd sound. Many times I have nearly bought a bass, only to spend an hour at a good volume with my trusty old Bass POD and kept my money!!! Its great when an instrument gets you work, too!!!

Dan

Edited by TheBrokenDoor

You can hear the bass at [url="http://www.myspace.com/frameworkmusic"]www.myspace.com/frameworkmusic[/url] and check out 'Hot Legs'.

I may give recording some samples a go later today but my strings are very 'one-trick pony' at the mo (dead rounds).

To me, this is the vintage precision sound. It honestly makes no sense to me having a precision without a darkstar!!!!

Dan

Nice. What kind of setup do you use on the POD for the bass? When I try to emulate a P bass sound I like the B15 model and cab with a close d112 mic and a generous dollop of high mids. Gets me as close as I can with my bass, anyway (which isn't THAT close, but close enough!)

Hey Ped,

I usually go for 'fliptop' or 'motor city', and just phaff. I'd love some DHA stuff for bite and compression, but for now I'll just play with the knobs 'til it sounds somewhere near good. When playing live, I rarely use the POD (although that'll change for my new project) as the DS-P sounds the bizzle what ever I'm using!!!

Toasted: Yeah!! Wow!!

Dan

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='73723' date='Oct 13 2007, 11:32 AM']You can hear the bass at [url="http://www.myspace.com/frameworkmusic"]www.myspace.com/frameworkmusic[/url] and check out 'Hot Legs'.

I may give recording some samples a go later today but my strings are very 'one-trick pony' at the mo (dead rounds).

To me, this is the vintage precision sound. It honestly makes no sense to me having a precision without a darkstar!!!!

Dan[/quote]

It sounds really hard and dry - really suits the music style.

I love the music by the way!

Thanks Paul. That record was done with Jon Withnall at Parr St studios, and was a great laugh. The producer was ace, the engineer was ace, and the band leader is/was my best mate!!!

All the kit and bass was done together in a very large, beautiful, wooden room... I could wax lyrical about how it was easily in the top three sessions I have done (and I've had some real fun sessions!!!)

Dan

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='74118' date='Oct 14 2007, 12:57 PM']Thanks Paul. That record was done with Jon Withnall at Parr St studios, and was a great laugh. The producer was ace, the engineer was ace, and the band leader is/was my best mate!!!

All the kit and bass was done together in a very large, beautiful, wooden room... I could wax lyrical about how it was easily in the top three sessions I have done (and I've had some real fun sessions!!!)

Dan[/quote]Hi Dan. I know what you mean about beautiful rooms and tons of Cornish stone, Parr is an amazing place.
Your music reminds me of Prefab Sprout, Velvets, and the next big thing to come out of Liverpool.
By this I mean, all your sounds are in place, pick your producer carefully and stay true to your art.

Hey Si,

It's a complete rip-off!! Allparts body, mightymite neck (I think), no-name hardware; it came with the decal but it's not lacquered so when I can be bothered, I'l replace it with something custom.

The bass was about £200 from the old bassworld and all the mods cost about the same, but it plays amazingly and sounds like the Dog's proverbials!!

The fact it's cheapo raises it's 'boast-ability' for me. I generally use cheaper instruments but customised up to buggery and set-up by myself and my luthier regularly.

And Steve: Ta mate!! My guitarist/band leader/best mate has moved back to LA, but the plan is that I'll move there when he's got some more support for the band. I'm gutted he's gone, but c'est la vie!!!

Dan

Edited by TheBrokenDoor

[quote name='spree' post='74541' date='Oct 15 2007, 12:37 PM']lookin sharp dAn

what DHA stuff did you want to have a whirl on?[/quote]

Hey dAn

I'd love to hear the comp and maybe one of those overdrivey gizmos, but since I'm now based in Wigan (Aaaaaargh, get me out of here!!!!) players with gear are a bit thin on the ground!!

I still reckon my P is more precise than yours!!! :)

DaN

Edited by TheBrokenDoor

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='74666' date='Oct 15 2007, 04:53 PM']Hey dAn

I'd love to hear the comp and maybe one of those overdrivey gizmos, but since I'm now based in Wigan (Aaaaaargh, get me out of here!!!!) players with gear are a bit thin on the ground!!

DaN[/quote]

We will have a stand at BassDay in Manchester. All the DHA pedals will there for people to try as well as the new VT5-400-Bass amp.

Not that far from Wigan.

Dave

[quote name='TheBrokenDoor' post='74666' date='Oct 15 2007, 04:53 PM']Hey dAn

DaN[/quote]

well i can help with the overdrivey gizmos (VT2 in da hizouse) and my rig is super portable too

no more more metaconceptualness? damn