Why become a member? ×

Telecaster Bass

beerdragon

I like the look of this but i wonder what the body was before. and i'm not sure about the slapping and tugging bit. it's just a hole in the scratchplate isn't it, or am i missing something.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-bass-telecaster-USA-Warmoth-badass-hipshot-drop_W0QQitemZ280426161948QQcategoryZ4713QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4012.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLCA%26ps%3D4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-bass-telecast...%3DLCA%26ps%3D4[/url]

[quote name='beerdragon' post='661934' date='Nov 22 2009, 05:12 PM']I like the look of this but i wonder what the body was before. and i'm not sure about the slapping and tugging bit. it's just a hole in the scratchplate isn't it, or am i missing something.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-bass-telecaster-USA-Warmoth-badass-hipshot-drop_W0QQitemZ280426161948QQcategoryZ4713QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4012.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26po%3DLCA%26ps%3D4"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-bass-telecast...%3DLCA%26ps%3D4[/url][/quote]

I dunno. I assume it's like those basses that have channels carved into them just before the end of the neck so you have more space to get your popping finger under the strings. Not sure what real difference 3mm of pickguard would make though, unless you have stupidly low action.

Looks a wee bit of a mess - maybe a fixer upper - certainly not all he's making it out to be. Basicaly an original neck nailed to a non original body, the tuners don't fit and the p/g.... just NO . The only noticable "upgrade" I can see is the BA (but that's subjective)

It's just jumped up £60 while I was typing this - will be fun to watch.

I like it. The hole's a bummer but either replace the pickguard or don't bother. Looks fine without.

Can't think of a rational reason for this - but it seems a strange instrument to put a de-tuner on to me.

£360 at the mo. 70's neck. Decent bridge. Good players Fender to my eyes at that price or even a bit more.

Jesus H Christ - I swear this is true and I only just noticed and checked.

That was my neck. It came off a 72 Telecaster bass - humbucker version. I recognised it because of the 2nd string guide which I did and folk who know my attitude to Fender basses know it's a trademark of mine to do that. I just checked my records and that's the serial number of mine right there on the 3 bolt plate. The Hipshot wasn't me , in fact I sold the tuners seperately.

It's a pretty chuncky neck - I remember it well. It had zero issues when it left me.I traded it in a deal with a local music shop here in Wakefield I would think getting on for 10 years ago. I bet a local vintage guitar type called Dixie had it off them as part of another deal.

If one of us buys it I have pics of the neck on the original bass I can mail you.

Just thought - I put Schaller M/C's on it - non- 'Fender' style of the type where you need to drill 2 small holes per M/C that the back plate drops into and the unit locks from the front with a screw collar.

So - the 8 little holes are still there - though you'll never see them under the back plate of the new M/C's or any other M/C's you might want to put on it barring the tiny Schallers (M3's?? Not sure what you call the small ones) that look daft on a Fender anyway.

Oh - and if the nut's brass (don't think it is) my Dad made it for me and I'll pay you to get it back.

Here's the file on it from my documents though the neck is only in the old shot on the right. Christ , did my hair really used to be dark!!!

Edited by Dr.Dave

I wouldn't know how to put a price on it but I'm guessing a P or a J from that era would be worth the 360 the bass is currently selling for at least. Beedster's your man , he knows stuff like this , WOT maybe , probably others too if you can attract their attention to this forum.

Prospective bidders on here could do worse than note there are 2 of us with personal knowledge of the bass and I'm happy to help if anyone has any Q's about the neck.

Edited by Dr.Dave

Not guilty - though I did think about it in the end and I reckon it represents good value to whoever bought it. I decided I have the Blueflower 54 reish doing essentially the same job so it would be unemployed with me so my only interest was in selling on my oldvintage neck , putting something cheaper on the bass and then selling that on.