Why become a member? ×

Have I missed something?

ashevans09

I've recently been noticing that a couple of bands have taken to pointing their cabs away from the audience, with the backs facing them instead. Now this seems slightly odd to me to say the least - surely you'd want to throw sound out right? And this is on all size venues too. I first noticed it at sonisphere during this performance (nice aguilar rig btw):

And also noticed Paramore doing it on smaller indoor venues, bassist included. What is the reason for this? Is it just an aesthetic thing?

[quote name='ashevans09' post='660744' date='Nov 20 2009, 10:22 PM']I've recently been noticing that a couple of bands have taken to pointing their cabs away from the audience, with the backs facing them instead. Now this seems slightly odd to me to say the least - surely you'd want to throw sound out right? And this is on all size venues too. I first noticed it at sonisphere during this performance (nice aguilar rig btw):

And also noticed Paramore doing it on smaller indoor venues, bassist included. What is the reason for this? Is it just an aesthetic thing?[/quote]
If they're running in ears they don't need to hear the cabs directly, and pointing them backwards would allow them to be run at high levels without interfering with what the audience hears, which is the PA.

[quote name='spacecowboy' post='660810' date='Nov 21 2009, 09:38 AM']I have also heard that its the in ear deal and for not interfereing with monitors and the singers microphones, whatever the reason i think it looks awesome.[/quote]

Yeah not plugged in, just very nice tables

[quote name='SteveO' post='660768' date='Nov 21 2009, 08:07 AM']do you mean at 0:58?

They're not even plugged in, possibly a statement about bands who have massive doom rigs that are just for show or something. :)[/quote]

[quote name='lojo' post='660827' date='Nov 21 2009, 10:12 AM']Yeah not plugged in, just very nice tables[/quote]

Nah, look at 1min55sec, at least one orange cab is plugged in. But the explanation does make sense :rolleyes: , thank you.

It's a variation on the backline for show and a small rig back stage feeding FOH.

So many bands are playing excessively loud these days, they have to do something to get their sound and protect their ears. None of the really loud guys will be doing reunion gigs in 30 years time cos when the phone goes they won't be able to hear it!!

A lot of these guys also have the in-ears on 11 so that'll be no help!

[quote name='SteveO' post='660768' date='Nov 21 2009, 08:07 AM']They're not even plugged in, possibly a statement about bands who have massive doom rigs that are just for show or something. :)[/quote]

Bands that can play gigs PA systems are sell outs.

Guessing cause its a festival, thats baackline for everyone there, and maybe they don't want to be onstage with a bunch of labels, except for that nice brown Aguilar there.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='660907' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:09 PM']Bands that can play gigs PA systems are sell outs.

Guessing cause its a festival, thats baackline for everyone there, and maybe they don't want to be onstage with a bunch of labels, except for that nice brown Aguilar there.[/quote]

Nah, every band there brought their own rig and set up. No backline to speak of. Also there was hardly any ampeg so it was nice for gear spotting :) . And sorry for being slow, but what do you mean by the play gigs PA systems comment?

Also the orange cabs appear to be plugged in, 1min55.

Edited by ashevans09

[quote name='The Funk' post='660826' date='Nov 21 2009, 10:11 AM']At quite a small venue with a massive PA we were once asked to point them backwards/to the side. Thinking about it later it was kind of obvious - [b][i]it means the sound of out front is cleaner[/i][/b], but more importantly that we could all hear each other for a change![/quote]

The bit in bold itallics is a big thing - most pro sound engineers would probably love bands to have no backline at all, and just have everything coming back to the band through in-ears or monitors.

I'm sure you guys already know that Geddy uses no on-stage amplification.

I reckon the cabs in the TBS video are either just tables for the amp heads, which might be DI'd to FOH, or the cabs are facing backwards and mic'd to minimize interference with the FOH PA.

Mark

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='660942' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:48 PM']The bit in bold itallics is a big thing - most pro sound engineers would probably love bands to have no backline at all, and just have everything coming back to the band through in-ears or monitors.

I'm sure you guys already know that Geddy uses no on-stage amplification.

I reckon the cabs in the TBS video are either just tables for the amp heads, which might be DI'd to FOH, or the cabs are facing backwards and mic'd to minimize interference with the FOH PA.

Mark[/quote]

Doing a bit of research it appears a bit of both. Apparently the orange player likes to have his cabs mic'd, the mesa guy likes DI's for live. The Mesa cabs are probably present to make sure the stage looks balanced. Also to even out live sound, not that it matters on that big a stage I guess...

[quote name='ashevans09' post='660941' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:48 PM']And sorry for being slow, but what do you mean by the play gigs PA systems comment?[/quote]

Being a user of a/multiple 'Doom rig(s)' I keep getting that 'why bother, just go through the PA' statement. I've played 2 gigs ever where the PA was sufficient to put bass through, such is the way of Doom.

Yep, this space for hire....:lol;

but, sure, depending on the size of stages... Engrs want the backline turned down as sometimes FOH in smaller venues just can't influence the sound as much as would be preferred if too loud on stage

And the only way to get some of these guys to turn down or be quieter on stage is to feed them this nonsense... :) :rolleyes: