Why become a member? ×

Easy Rock Covers To Learn Need Some Suggestions Please

Rockbassix

Ok i would never have agreed to this sober but after a few beers it all seemed like a good idea after a load more beers it was all happily agreed! Now we are sober reality has dawned and we're totally in the s*** ! :rolleyes:

I haven't been playing for too long i've only just joined my first band and we're only rehearsing at the moment. The other night a few of us were in the pub and one of my mates brothers is about to have his 40th birthday at new year he's having a party and wants a band for it.

Somewhere in this 4 hour drunken conversation it was decided that between us there are 2 guitarists,a bassist and a wannabe singer so we should form a band for the event.A drummer mate of the birthday boy has just been bullied into doing the gig as well so it looks like there's no going back lol it's amazing the power of feeding people free beer and promising them more. :lol:

Now we are trying to come up with an easy to learn set list of rock covers and some blues covers in the vain hope that we can get our act together in time! I know a few covers i've been doing with my own band but not quite enough to fill a set list for a party.

Any suggestions for easy stuff to learn please and also any advice on learning songs quickly or should i just leave the country and come back when it's over :) :lol:

These [i]must[/i] be easy if I can play them. And anyone around 40 should know them. Sorry for the crap layout but it's straight paste from my 'Hoary Old Covers for Parties' list.

SONG BAND / VERSION
1. 634-5789 SAM & DAVE
2. ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT THE KINKS
3. BABY PLEASE DON'T GO THEM
4. BACK IN THE NIGHT DR FEELGOOD
5. BATMAN THE JAM
6. BONY MORONIE LARRY WILLIAMS
7. C'MON EVERYBODY EDDIE COCHRANE
8. CAROLINE QUO
9. CAST IRON ARM PEANUTS WILSON
10. DUST MY BROOM (E JAMES SLIDE RIFF) E JAMES
11. GHOST RIDERS IN THE SKY / MOTORHEAD FRANKIE LAINE / MOTORHEAD
12. GREAT BALLS OF FIRE JERRY LEE LEWIS
13. HEATWAVE THE JAM / MARTHA AND THE VANDELLAS
14. HIGHWAY 61 REVISTED BOB DYLAN / JOHNNY WINTER
15. I FEEL GOOD JAMES BROWN
16. I HEAR YOU KNOCKING DAVE EDMUNDS
17. I'M A HOG FOR YOU BABY RUFUS THOMAS(?)/ DR FEELGOOD
18. JUMPIN JACK FLASH ROLLING STONES
19. KEYS TO THE HIGHWAY CLAPTON
20. KNOCK ON WOOD EDDIE FLOYD
21. LET'S STICK TOGETHER BRYAN FERRY
22. LONG TALL SALLY LITTLE RICHARD
23. LOVE POTION # 9 COASTERS
24. I'M A MAN / MANNISH BOY MUDDY WATERS
25. MIDNIGHT HOUR WILSON PICKETT
26. MONEY BEATLES, SMOKEY ROBINSON
27. MYSTERY TRAIN E. PRESLEY
28. NOT FADE AWAY HOLLY, STONES
29. PAPER PLANE QUO
30. PETER GUNN BLUES BROS / MANCINI
31. PRICE OF LOVE EVERLY BROS
32. RIOT IN CELL BLOCK # 9 COASTERS / FEELGOODS
33. ROCKIN ALL OVER THE WORLD QUO
34. ROUTE 66 - ROLLING STONES / FEELGOODS
35. SHAKIN ALL OVER THE PIRATES
36. SHE CAUGHT THE KATY BLUES BROS
37. SMOKESTACK LIGHTNING HOWLING WOLF
38. SMOKIN IN THE BOYS ROOM BROWNSVILLE STATION
39. SOME KINDA WONDERFUL SOUL BROTHERS SIX / THE INMATES
40. STAY WITH ME THE FACES
41. SWEET HOME CHICAGO BLUES BROS / ROBERT JOHNSON
42. TEAR IT UP CARL PERKINS
43. TUTTI FRUTTI LITTLE RICHARD
44. WILD SIDE OF LIFE QUO
45. WOOLY BULLY SAM THE SHAM
46. YOU REALLY GOT ME THE KINKS
47. YOU'RE SO SQUARE PRESLEY

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='steve' post='660689' date='Nov 21 2009, 12:12 AM']Cult - Sanctuary, very very easy = opportunities to jump around, and everyone knows it, I could probably think of more, if I hadn't had quite so much wine :)[/quote]

Cheers Steve! At least i know that one already so thats one less to learn:)

LOL be careful with the wine thats what got me into this mess i'm just hoping on the night everyone else is plastered so they don't notice how bad we are:lol:

Can't get enough of your love, Bad Company
Sharp dressed man, ZZ Top
Down at the doctor's, Dr Feelgood
Word up (Gun version)
Rollover Beethoven / Jonny B Goode, Chuck Berry
Hey Joe (Yuck) Hendrix
Pretty vacant, Pistols
Breaking the law, Judas Priest
Whisky in the jar (Lizzie version)

All easy peasy

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='661438' date='Nov 21 2009, 11:39 PM']Cheers for all the suggestions much appreciated!

Any ideas on how to learn a load of stuff quickly?[/quote]

We all have our own ways of learning, so whatever you find comfortable to learn stuff slowly is probably the best place to start. That said there are a few things to smooth the path, if you want to get things down quickly! A few suggestions - others will add more and probably contradict. I can only say what works for our band when in a hurry!

Stick to the original key for a start, as much music is created on the target instruments and is often easier to play as it was written. In your situation, if the singer needs a different key I'd ditch the song and move on to another - there's plenty out there!

If you're not going to have the 'prop' of a music stand for the performance don't bother with one in practice! I know that sounds daft, but learning a song the way you intend to do it is the quickest route to the end performance! Use tabs or notation to understand the shape of the line then just get on with it playing against the original track (another good reason for keeping the original key!). And remember that most internet tabs have at least one deliberate mistake in them (supposedly to avoid copyright issues) and many are downright wrong. Let your ear be the guide.

Don't use band rehearsals to learn your individual bits - do that at home and then use rehearsals to make sure you all have the timng, structure and balance, plus intros and outros, the same.

Hope that's not sucking eggs stuff, but in the end good preparation before playing through the song together will make it work.

Thanks Apex that helped a lot! Nah that wasn't sucking eggs stuff at all i am really new to this band stuff before i joined my current band i was pretty guilty of just noodling around playing bits and pieces rather than working through entire songs.Even since i joined my band i have had plenty of time to learn the songs as we've been taking it slowly and working through a few songs at a time so the idea of learning an entire set in just over a month for this party is pretty daunting for a newbie!!

We're keeping the songs in the original key so we can all practice our parts with the original tracks on our own then hopefully when we play them as a band it should all come together ha ha well it should whether it does or not is a different matter! I've been looking at tabs and chords to get an outline of the song then trying to play along with them on WE7 LOL i am getting better but slowly. :rolleyes:

Cheers Linus27 much appreciated! I already know All along the watchtower so thats one less to try and learn :)

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='661910' date='Nov 22 2009, 04:41 PM']Thanks Apex that helped a lot! Nah that wasn't sucking eggs stuff at all i am really new to this band stuff before i joined my current band i was pretty guilty of just noodling around playing bits and pieces rather than working through entire songs.Even since i joined my band i have had plenty of time to learn the songs as we've been taking it slowly and working through a few songs at a time so the idea of learning an entire set in just over a month for this party is pretty daunting for a newbie!!

We're keeping the songs in the original key so we can all practice our parts with the original tracks on our own then hopefully when we play them as a band it should all come together ha ha well it should whether it does or not is a different matter! I've been looking at tabs and chords to get an outline of the song then trying to play along with them on WE7 LOL i am getting better but slowly. :rolleyes:

Cheers Linus27 much appreciated! I already know All along the watchtower so thats one less to try and learn :)[/quote]

Just go for it! You never know how it will end up. Our band started in 2006 in a very similar way (thrown together three weeks before a work 'do'.) We're still at it, not in a major way, but with enough of a repertoire and playing experience to be able to say Yes to most things that come up.

[quote name='Apex' post='662596' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:04 PM']Just go for it! You never know how it will end up. Our band started in 2006 in a very similar way (thrown together three weeks before a work 'do'.) We're still at it, not in a major way, but with enough of a repertoire and playing experience to be able to say Yes to most things that come up.[/quote]

Nice one it's good to know somebody else done this and it worked most of the people who know us reckon we must be mad to try this! :)

I have to admit now i've got over the initial terror of trying to learn all these songs before December i'm starting to enjoy it! I've played stuff that i wouldn't have thought of learning before and the rest of the band are saying the same. Sometimes being chucked in at the deep end has it's bonuses!

I'm still dreading the actual gig though :rolleyes: