Why become a member? ×

Easy Rock Covers To Learn Need Some Suggestions Please

Rockbassix

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='662956' date='Nov 23 2009, 05:43 PM']I'm still dreading the actual gig though :)[/quote]

That's the other important thing. Don't get scared. What's the worst that can happen? You could be complete sh*te, but so what. Just remember it is you that is up there, not the punters. The adrenalin will kick in and once that first number is out of the way and you hear the smattering of drunken applause it is plain sailing from there on in. Pick an absolute dead cert as an opening number, up-tempo, simple and right in their faces. get off to a flyer and you're halfway there.

Don't stand looking like you want the ground to swallow you up. Take every opportunity to look up and around at each other and out into the crowd. Staring at your shoes (or your fretboard) throughout the gig will make you look scared. Tapping your foot is a good thing to do, and having a bit of a jig around even better. Be confident but don't be an arrogant cock.

I speak from the mid-life crisis experience of being a home 'noodler' for 30 odd years, before finally going out there and doing it in public for the first time earlier this year. First ever gig in front of a Saturday night pub full of boozers with that 'Go on, entertain me' look in their eyes. Nerves completely evaporated as soon as the first note was struck in anger, and the applause at the end of that first number was an experience I will never forget. I had to learn something like 30 songs of various genres in about a month and there is nothing like having to do it rather than just piddling around to make you a better player. Second gig - great, third gig - so-so, 4th - fine, 5th - cracking.... etc etc.

I'll be in gig double-figures next weekend an I'm loving every minute of it, should have done it years (decades) ago.

You'll be just fine.

Thanks Starless great advice! :)

I'll do my best to remember that on the night!

I really want to do this and i am enjoying it but i'm terrified at the same time i guess nearly everybody felt the same when it was their first gig. On the plus side i have learnt more in the last few days than i have in months so it's at least been good for my playing i just need to work on my confidence! :rolleyes:

Well done for getting up there and doing it i hope my first gig works as well as yours.

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='664647' date='Nov 25 2009, 02:57 AM']Thanks Starless great advice! :)

I'll do my best to remember that on the night!

I really want to do this and i am enjoying it but i'm terrified at the same time i guess nearly everybody felt the same when it was their first gig. On the plus side i have learnt more in the last few days than i have in months so it's at least been good for my playing i just need to work on my confidence! :rolleyes:

Well done for getting up there and doing it i hope my first gig works as well as yours.[/quote]

+1 on the advice of looking like you're enjoying it!

Don't forget to come back and tell us how it went!! :lol:

Your first gig is an experience you'll never forget.
Having spoken to several musicians on this subject, the following seems to be universally true
1) You'll make some glaring cock-ups
2) Nobody outside of the band will notice
3) You'll come off feeling sh*te despite all the positive feedback from everyone
4) You'll never, ever forget it.
5) Those who don't have videotape of it, wished they did. Make sure someone is there with a camcorder.

I typed a really long recount of my first gig and realised it might make a good seperate thread. Moved it elsewhere.
Have fun!

A few easy songs my covers band play are :
* Stereophonics - Local boy.....
* Temper track - sweet disposition
* White stripes - seven nation army (this is really easy and really recognisable so will stand a good chance to get yourself a cheer :) )

Like the gents before me have said, just stick to the chords at first, and these songs are pretty simple. Not a lot of parts to learn in any of them. When you get better you can start adding your own litte touches of genius :rolleyes:

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='666210' date='Nov 26 2009, 01:36 PM']A lot of these might be easy for the bass palyer but what about the poor guitarists[/quote]

Anyone who's read The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy will be more than passingly familiar with the S.E.P. drive. This unique starship drive enables ships like the [i]Heart Of Gold [/i]to break lightspeed by convincing the universe that, although the ship is breaking a fundamental law of physics, this is in fact Someone Else's Problem. The universe whistles to itself, ignores the problem and lets the ship get on with it.

This wonderful concept can be applied to a number of problems both in the workplace and when playing in bands. Picked a song with an easy bassline but a bugger of a guitar part? Someone Else's Problem matey! Go about your business :)

The advanced version SEPBHAGASFH field (Someone Else's Problem, But He's A Guitard Anyway So F^ck Him) is being worked on as we speak.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions you guys have no idea how much this has helped :)

Cheers Apex I'll do my best to enjoy it hopefully once i get over the first song the nerves will go! Either that or i'll be reporting back with a list of disasters like falling off the stage and completely forgetting the songs!

NickH LOL i've just read the account of your first gig and everybody elses in the other thread LOL i think i'm even more scared now! Not sure if i want anyone there with a camcorder or not some pics would be good but not so sure about having video evidence :rolleyes:

FuNkShUi Trust me i'm keeping it simple it's the only way i've any hope of learning it! I'm seriously thinking of sticking a cheat sheet with the chords on it to the side of the amp just incase i totally forget any of the songs! :lol:

Paul fair point but i'm going with Nicks suggestion of SEPBHAGASFH when it comes to the guitarist! LOL only joking (i think) Our lead guitarist has more experience than the rest of us so he's pretty much ok with most of the songs.
The rhythm guitarist is a bit like me not been playing long and this is his first time playing live, the singer has never done anything other than sing in the bath but he's actually pretty good :lol: and we've still to meet the drummer whos been bullied into joining us :lol:

First rehearsal this weekend think i'll buy the earplugs now:lol:

Mornin'...

A few more into the mix...

Milk & Alcohol - Dr Feelgood ©
20th Century Boy - T-Rex (E)
Don't Believe A Word - Thin Lizzy &/or Gary Moore (try & find the "slow" version - great fun when it kicks off!) (A mainly)
Hard To Handle - Otis Redding/The Black Crowes (:)
Living After Midnight - Judas Priest (E)
Seems To Me - Rory Gallagher (E - no changes, just E, all the way through. Absolute killer of a tune.)
Tainted Love - Soft Cell (think its in C) responds well to being rocked right up.
Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll - Billy Lee Riley & His Little Green Men (seriously!) (12 bar in D)
Twenty Flight Rock - Eddie Cochran (G)

There's been a bucketload of good advice already about pre-gig nerves, so I'll only add these...

Do NOT get p***ed - even if you're not driving. Depending on your natural capacity, no more than 2 pints before kick-off. I go for one during set-up & get another in to see me through the first set.

Buy your own - at least before/during your set. The last thing you need is an apparently well-meaning punter/guest who gets you a spiked pint.

If, like me, you smoke - have one of those pretend plastic fags on you. If you're still a bit nervy early on it'll help.

If you have a local jam session or open mic night, get involved. They can be a great learning experience.

Have fun. If it goes wrong - SMILE! (then do it again to make it seem deliberate!)

Enjoy.

Pete.

[quote name='Lostheplot' post='666999' date='Nov 27 2009, 03:03 AM']FuNkShUi Trust me i'm keeping it simple it's the only way i've any hope of learning it! I'm seriously thinking of sticking a cheat sheet with the chords on it to the side of the amp just incase i totally forget any of the songs! :)[/quote]

Do it. Whos gonna complain about you having a sheet with the chords on? ? Would have to be a sad person who feels it spoils the night if any of the musicians are "cheating" IMO anyway! Youll be surprised how quickly youll stop needing them. Have faith :rolleyes:

Cheers for the suggestions and advice Bloodaxe and Basscat!

LOL I'm not driving but i will stick to one or two drinks till the playing part is over then get stuck into the freebie bar to celebrate surviving the gig :rolleyes:

I'm trying to practice keeping going as though i meant it when i make mistakes! Ha ha my facial expressions apparently give the game away so i need to work on that one as well! Somebody pointed out that i smirk like a naughty schoolkid when i screw up during a song! :lol:

Cheers FuNkShUi i'm going to go with the chord sheet just incase. I reckon at my stage it's better than forgetting the song! :)

Good selection of songs there to choose from. What I would do is have a chat with the band armed with these songs, choose what you want & then stick them on your ipod & listen to them until you know them inside out (most guitarists do not do this & prefer to wing it).
This is what I do if we write a new song & I get it recorded on some device, that way I can analyse & work out what to do.

Another easy song would be With or without you by U2 (infact almost any of their songs can be learned in one run).

Cheers xgsjx We've been gradually building a set list with a lot of the suggestions from here included along with stuff the others have come up with as well. I've got most of the stuff we're considering on an MP3 player and a playlist on my PC so thats all i've really been listening to in the hope it sinks in!

The biggest problem is trying to decide the final list as everybody keeps changing their minds ie we agree that a song is on the list then somebody decides they don't like it when they try to learn it.

We've got around 15 so far that everybody is happy with we just need to decide on the rest! :)

Something else to bear in mind, (unless you're very disciplined) when you come to play the songs live you'll go through them a lot faster than you do in practice. So time your set when you rehearse it then add at least another couple of songs.

We played a gig on my old drummer's birthday once, to a crowd at his hometown venue (the Royal Squadron on the Isle of Wight). He was treated like a homecoming conquering hero by all his old mates and his money was no good at the bar all night. Then (unbeknown to the rest of the band) some tosser gave him an E.
Our first song was a cover of Foo Fighters "My Hero" with that slow poundy drum intro... he launches into it at a tempo that would do most techno tracks proud. It's literally about twice the BPM it should have been. Bastard! We finished the whole set in 3/4 the planned time, recycled a couple of songs, went offstage and gave our man a sound bollocking for being a f***wit. Then we got drunk and staggered onto the ferry back to civilisation :)

Cheers Nick i never thought of that!

LOL i seen a mates band play where the opposite happened some well meaning punter got the drummer stoned at the break he hadn't smoked dope in years and judging by the 2nd set his tolerence had gone down a lot. :)

We still don't know how long we are playing for on the night we've been told probably around 2 hrs broken up over the night but might be longer LOL or shorter if we're really bad. :rolleyes:

We're aiming to have enough stuff in reserve just incase because it's a private party it's not exactly well planned if we get stuck we'll just have to repeat some hopefully they'll all be so drunk they won't notice.

At least we'll have a captive audience it's getting held in a barn in the middle of nowhere so no escape for the punters!