Why become a member? ×

New US Fender reissue 1962 P Bass Neck???

Jimelliottbassist

Got two 1962 fender reissue basses lately and went to get them set up by a quility luthier, who informed me that both had duck tails in the necks. I've had a few fenders these two being the most expensive. So i made the assumption that the finish would be of a higher standard! I'd like to know if this is common place in fenders or just a case of tough luck! Come on Fender sort it out!

Never heard of 'duck tail's.
Is there anything wrong with the necks feel? Does the truss rod function as it should?
If it feels ok, and the truss rod works, i don't see the 'issue'.
Maybe the guy is crackers....er, i mean quackers, f*** me, i ballsed that puchline up...haha.

I don't know what a 'duck tail' is in relation to guitars but I did have a problem with the neck slot in a mid eighties Jap Jazz, wherein the slot was angled forward rather than flat as a Fender should be, or angled back, in order to give it an angled neck for lower action, higher bridges etc. This meant I had to shim the neck in order to get it sitting flat in the slot. As you'd expect, everything else about the bass was immaculate so it was probably a machine setup or jig issue at the factory, but I was very surprised it got past quality control.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='659627' date='Nov 19 2009, 08:44 PM']I think you may be confusing this with the Woodpecker which can indeed be found in-cider tree.[/quote]
Pure Genius! :)

For the sake of the thread.....no idea what a duck-tail is where necks are concerned!

Si

As far as I understand it, a DoveTail (as Andy.T says) is a specific type of neck joint, mainly found on classical/acoustic guitars where the join across the "shoulders" of the instrument tapers down in a sort of "V" shape.

As for "duck tails", I can only assume he means an almost "surformed" V shape which would indicate a weakness in the structure of the wood...?

Edit: Okay, I just did some reading & it's where they add a strengthening piece of wood in the transition area between the headstock and the 1st fret area of the neck. Basically, if you can see a "V" shape near where the neck ends and the headstock begins, it's been added during the manufacture process as a strength-adding piece of wood at a weak point, if I understand correctly.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='659946' date='Nov 20 2009, 10:42 AM']As far as I understand it, a DoveTail (as Andy.T says) is a specific type of neck joint, mainly found on classical/acoustic guitars where the join across the "shoulders" of the instrument tapers down in a sort of "V" shape.

As for "duck tails", I can only assume he means an almost "surformed" V shape which would indicate a weakness in the structure of the wood...?

Edit: Okay, I just did some reading & it's where they add a strengthening piece of wood in the transition area between the headstock and the 1st fret area of the neck. Basically, if you can see a "V" shape near where the neck ends and the headstock begins, it's been added during the manufacture process as a strength-adding piece of wood at a weak point, if I understand correctly.[/quote]

But on a stock Fender??

Si

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='659946' date='Nov 20 2009, 10:42 AM']Edit: Okay, I just did some reading & it's where they add a strengthening piece of wood in the transition area between the headstock and the 1st fret area of the neck. Basically, if you can see a "V" shape near where the neck ends and the headstock begins, it's been added during the manufacture process as a strength-adding piece of wood at a weak point, if I understand correctly.[/quote]
New one on me! Where did you read that?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='659971' date='Nov 20 2009, 11:08 AM']New one on me too, Michael. I just had a look and a couple of mine have that "V" in the grain in that area.

[url="http://www.ryanguitars.com/theworkshop/Building%20a%20Guitar/Rough%20Ducktail.htm"]http://www.ryanguitars.com/theworkshop/Bui...%20Ducktail.htm[/url][/quote]
Hmm.. no mention of 'ducktail' anywhere on the FDP. If it was a common Fender thing, it would be documented to the [i]n[/i]th degree on there!

I wonder if it's more commonly known as something else?

Edited by wateroftyne

Without knowing ANYTHING about this subject, when I started reading this I guessed that he meant what we used to call a D.A. or "Duck's Arse", where something kicks up at the end, usually a hair-style. :)

In that case, he'd be describing a neck that suddenly rose at one end or the other, or possibly just the fingerboard doing it.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='660099' date='Nov 20 2009, 01:17 PM']Without knowing ANYTHING about this subject, when I started reading this I guessed that he meant what we used to call a D.A. or "Duck's Arse", where something kicks up at the end, usually a hair-style. :)

In that case, he'd be describing a neck that suddenly rose at one end or the other, or possibly just the fingerboard doing it.[/quote]

This is the most likely - a rise at the end of the fingerboard. Come to think of it a duck's tail does look to 'kick up' at the back so the description of duck tail starts to make sense.

Apologies to my regular readers but I've run out of ornathological puns.