Why become a member? ×

YES

doctor_of_the_bass

Allo!

Young Karlthebassist and myself went to see them last night at the Hammersmith Apollo - great show but without Jon Anderson, it was not quite the same....! Squire was on great form - he's looking even bigger these days and at one point broke one of his nails. The bass sound was pretty good and his Taurus pedals...very moving!

Anyone else seen them?

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='658077' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:43 PM']Anyone else seen them?

Nick[/quote]

Yes, but a long time ago: May 1975 at QPR football ground (with Patrick Moraz on keys: Relayer was the latest album at the time). Fabulous gig. I have a suspicion I saw them again later in the 70's, but I can't recall any details, I'm afraid (possibly at the Empire Pool Wembley (now Wembly Arena)??).

So can whoever it was that went rememebr the set list? I thought about going down to Birmingham but something else came up and like others wasn't sure about seeing them with a tribute stand in singer (though I believe he got good reviews for the US gigs).

Hallo!

It was a great gig but having seen the band four times now, Jon, along with Chris is the heart of the band - Benoit is superb and I think should try not to keep aping Jon's stagecraft as he (Benoit) does have his own character. To those of you who love the band, you won't be disappointed but whereas you'd normally get 110% magic, this show is around 100% if you get where I'm coming from. On saying that, And You And I brought a tear to my eye, mainly due to me poking myself there! At the end of the day, for me, Squire is the star of the show anyway, he is a true showman!

For you bass fans, Squire used the following!

The famous cream '65 Rickenbacker (that one!)

Electra MPC

Mouradian CS-74 (the green one that I would sell all internal organs for!) - funnily enough he did not use this on `Owner', using the MPC instead!

Lakland `Bob Glaub' in silver grey

Fish Out Of Water custom painted Rickenbacker (black finish)

For more Yes news, check out:

[url="http://www.yesworld.com"]http://www.yesworld.com[/url]

Cheers

Nick

I saw them on the Reunion tour in 1991 and at the Summer Pops in Liverpool in 2003.
In 1991, I was so stoned, they could have played wahboards and I still would have creamed my pants but at the Liverpool gig, they were totally beyond good, Anderson, Squire, Howe, Wakeman and White. We had VIP tickets and were right at the front, centre stage, Wakeman was giving my missus the eye all night, the twat.
I cried when they played Awaken. :blush:

It was the last time I went to a gig with my best friend before he died, Awaken was played at the funeral.

Edited by steve-soar

I saw Yes a couple of times in the 80s, once woth Anderson and once with the Buggles' crowd. Whilst I recall being appalled at the Buggles idea, I bought the LP and there is some strong material on there. Its in no way a dead duck and I prefer it to 90125. It was the Trevor Rabin line-up that killed it for me. It lost a lot of its 'proginess' for me, like post ABACAB Genesis. I love all the stuff from Yes, Time and A Word, The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, TAles of Topographic, RElayer, Going For The One, Tormato and Drama - its all great stuff. What is interesting, though, is that I bought all the solo LPs; Olias, BEginnings etc but the very last one I bought, because it didn't appeal to me, was Bruford's Feels Good To Me which, in a nutshell, got me into fusion and jazz. Jeff Berlin and Allan Holdsworth immediately made me realise how much more there was to virtuosity than what Howe and Squire were offering.

I went to Hammersmith on Tuesday and I'm glad that I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to be honest though, it was the sloppiest performance I've ever seen from Yes, even compared to the days when they actually used to take risks. Lots of timing errors and people getting a bit lost in places (and not the new boys either). Benoit David got a bit lost in the mix sometimes and the keys weren't exactly massively loud at any point besides the solos (for which Mr Wakeman Jr seemed to have an unpleasantly harsh sound). Both new boys did well for most of the night, although Yes without JA does seem a bit odd. Chris Squire was on good form and seemed extremely happy.

SPOILER ALERT: I've tried to hide this, but can't quite get text to match background. Highlight area below if you want to see the setlist.

[color="#FFFFFF"]Setlist as I remember it (Not in running order):

Siberian Khatru
And You & I
Roundabout
South Side of the Sky
Heart of the Sunrise
Yours is No Disgrace
Your Move/All Good People
Starship Trooper
Astral Traveller
Tempus Fugit
Machine Messiah
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Steve Howe Acoustic Slot (Corkskrew + one other)[/color]

As I say, despite all the negatives I've mentioned, I thoroughly enjoyed it (Yes not quite firing on all cylinders is still Yes after all). Great to hear some Drama too (always particularly enjoyed Chris & Alan's work on that album).

Have to admit, Awaken is top of my list of songs to be played at my funeral...

Edited by jonsmith