Why become a member? ×

Old Fender Jazz too heavy - what to do ?

redstriper

History's one thing but if I had your bass I'd have a look on fleabay and find a used alder Jazz body. Something like this: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jazz-Bass-Body-BLACK-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ150388363359QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2303d8505f#ht_500wt_1182"]jazz body[/url]. You can even get new, unpainted ones for just under a ton, posted. (That's money, not weight!).

This way you'll have a nice looking , relatively light Jazz bass with fantastic vintage electronics and hardware for rather less than a cheapo, chinese beginners instrument. The majority of the sound will still be there and you'll still have your maple body if you ever wanted to swap them back for that slipped disc effect....

[quote name='redstriper' post='657345' date='Nov 17 2009, 06:52 PM']....I have a 1963 Fender jazz bass that I'm now finding too heavy for long gigs.
The electrics and hardware are all original....[/quote]
Get another bass that ticks all the boxes for weight, playability and looks, and then move the electrics (and possibly the hardware) over from your other bass. If it works throw away other bass!!

"a 1963 jazz bass with the L serial number, all original except for the body, fingerboard and headstock"

Sorry, but is this a wind-up thread? Surely this ceased to be a '63 Jazz bass some considerable time ago, and is now in the category of 'Frankenbass'. Clinging on to that description on say, an eBay listing would have the punters on here laughing their socks off.

When does a bass cease to be what it was manufactured as? Change fretboard OK, rip out the electrics fair enough, but replace a Jazz body with a P?

This is mental.

[quote name='Starless' post='658455' date='Nov 18 2009, 07:44 PM']"a 1963 jazz bass with the L serial number, all original except for the body, fingerboard and headstock"

Sorry, but is this a wind-up thread? Surely this ceased to be a '63 Jazz bass some considerable time ago, and is now in the category of 'Frankenbass'. Clinging on to that description on say, an eBay listing would have the punters on here laughing their socks off.

When does a bass cease to be what it was manufactured as? Change fretboard OK, rip out the electrics fair enough, but replace a Jazz body with a P?

This is mental.[/quote]

No it's not a wind up, it's not mental and frankenbass isn't even a word - thanks for the help though Starless.

It is what it is and I tried to describe it clearly and honestly in response to genuine questions, I'm not selling it and this isn't ebay.

I'd like to thank everyone else for their helpful input - I'm deep in thought as to what to do and considering all your suggestions.

I must admit that a good starting point might be to stop thinking of this as a '63 Jazz.

If you think about it as something with a nice neck & body that you've grown to love plus some old electrics then all you're potentially tinkering with is something that has sentimental (rather than high monetary) value.

If you're sentimental about the heavy body then just keep it & accept you need to buy one of the zillions of fantastic light weight basses on the market today.

If you're not sentimental than hang on to the bits you like & junk the rest - plenty of lighter weight bodies out there to fit the neck to and your end result would be just as much a '63 J as your current bass. One thing to watch out for might be balance - if it currently balances really well then a lighter body could wreck this and make it neck heavy (although a set of hipshot ultralites could make a huge difference).

I don't think of it as a '63 bass worth loads of money and I'm sorry if that's the impression I gave.
I'm not particularly sentimental about it and I certainly don't love it or attribute any great value to it.
It's just a tool that has served me well for 30 years and now I find it too heavy.
The problem is that I can't find a bass with such a great reggae tone and feel - if I did and it was lighter and prettier, then I would buy it and my problem would be solved.

Maybe I should just get out more :)

Family Man used a stock Jazz and recently has been using a Lakland 4-94. Two reggae bass players come to our jam nights. One uses a very old and busted up Ibanez and the other is using a stock Fender Precision. Both get good reggae tones. Your choice of bass could be wider than you think.

[quote name='chris_b' post='658800' date='Nov 19 2009, 01:28 AM']Family Man used a stock Jazz and recently has been using a Lakland 4-94. Two reggae bass players come to our jam nights. One uses a very old and busted up Ibanez and the other is using a stock Fender Precision. Both get good reggae tones. Your choice of bass could be wider than you think.[/quote]

I'm sure you're right.
One problem is that new basses are always strung with new roundwounds, which makes them sound clanky and feel awful when I try them.
I like flats and I've even taken an old set into shops to try on stock basses, but they don't like it.
The only exception I found was a used Warwick Corvette which sounded very deep and warm, but weighed almost as much as my old jazz and wasn't much prettier.

Going off in a wild, tangential sort of way, had you considered getting a violin bass?

There are all sorts of cheap copies out there, up to and including the Hofner Contemporary (CT).

A short-scale hollow-body strung with flats = instant reggae nirvana I'd have thought.

And it would weigh about 6lbs. :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='657345' date='Nov 17 2009, 07:52 PM']I have a 1963 Fender jazz bass that I'm now finding too heavy for long gigs.

It had a home made maple precision body fitted in 1978 which is what makes it so heavy.
It also had a new maple fingerboard at the same time, the neck is original, but the headstock has been cut in the musicman style.
The electrics and hardware are all original.

These are the options, I've considered -
1: Get a lightweight bass for gigs and keep the old jazz for recording.
2: Sit down at gigs.
3: (This is my latest plan) Have a lightweight jazz shaped body made and maybe also a new neck or fingerboard.

It's been my main bass for 30 years and I love the sound, So what should I do ?

Any suggestions ?[/quote]

I'm not surprised it's so heavy, especially as in the 70's allot of players and luthiers seemed to think the heavier the instrument, the better the sound (the old sustain thing). What does surprise me is you find it good for dub sounds with two skinny single coils and about the brightest body wood you could use. I'd still go the new or used Jazz body route, the majority of the bass will still be there and you might even prefer the sound with an alder or basswood body.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='658870' date='Nov 19 2009, 08:22 AM']Going off in a wild, tangential sort of way, had you considered getting a violin bass?

There are all sorts of cheap copies out there, up to and including the Hofner Contemporary (CT).

A short-scale hollow-body strung with flats = instant reggae nirvana I'd have thought.

And it would weigh about 6lbs. :)[/quote]

I was thinking the very same thing as Happy Jack here... One of the lovliest, deepest tones I've had was from my Hofner Contemporary Series Violin Bass with Roto Jazz Bass 77 flats. That would be an awesome bass for reggae. :rolleyes:

Mr. Norton - you're right, sustain was the big thing for basses in the 70s and I don't need much - I sometimes use foam to damp the strings.
I only use one of those skinny single coils, coz I don't like the bridge pup sound and yes maple is known for it's brightness.
Don't know why the old thing works for reggae, but it does.

OTPJ & HJ- thanks for the suggestions, I have tried a few violin basses, but not liked them, feel or tone wise - I can't explain, but they're just not me and I really wanted them to be. They reminded me of the EB-0 I had, which was lightweight with a deep sound, but just not right for me.

There is a Hofner Senator bass for sale down the road which I think Owen bought from Happy Jack and that might be better.

I'm taken with the idea of a new body and neck and there are Fender licenced ones available in the UK [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130303968599&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]here[/url] or from the states [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330378016789&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]here[/url].
That would make my old bass more like it was originally and should improve the weight and feel, whilst retaining 'my' sound.
Bit risky though and not cheap.

Still thinking...............

[quote name='redstriper' post='659223' date='Nov 19 2009, 01:56 PM']There is a Hofner Senator bass for sale down the road which I think Owen bought from Happy Jack and that might be better.[/quote]

Probably not for sale any more. I am so fickle. Nothing else quite makes a noise like it. However you are welcome to come and try it.

It is a lovely-sounding bass, isn't it?

If you find yourself in West London, Red Striper, you're very welcome to try a few other vintage Hofners. Apart from the 500/1, I currently have a 500/2 (Club), a 500/5 (but not the President), and a 500/7 (Verithin). And another 500/5 in my office. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='660108' date='Nov 20 2009, 01:21 PM']If you find yourself in West London, Red Striper, you're very welcome to try a few other vintage Hofners. Apart from the 500/1, I currently have a 500/2 (Club), a 500/5 (but not the President), and a 500/7 (Verithin). And another 500/5 in my office. :)[/quote]

That's very decent of you, thanks - I do visit London occasionally and I'd like to take you up on the Hofner fest offer sometime, I'd also like to try an Aria Sinsinido when I can, (seem to remember you had one of those too).