Why become a member? ×

TRADED: Chris Squire Electra Bass

robocorpse

[b]Edit edit edit: Bass is now GONE, thanks to Nick for great trade.
[/b]

OK, I have an original Electra X620 I might be tempted to part with.
For those of you who were expecting a Ricky 4001CS, read on, this will interest you...

This is the exact same identical bass that Mandolin Brothers modified for Chris Squire around late 1979, and this was featured heavily on the DRAMA and 90125 albums, particularly on "Tempus Fugit" and "City Of Love". This basses strength lies in the built in effects podules round the back, and it will take up to 2 effects pods in the back. Chris used the Flanger pod in his one, and this is how he got that gorgeous sound on "Tempus Fugit", its the original inbuilt Electra Flanger, not an Electric Mistress or other outboard unit. This is possibly the best (only?) way to nail the sound on that song, perfectly, every time.

The one I am thinking of selling HAS the flanger pod (natch!), and is UNMODIFIED, and in its original sunburst poly finish. The varitone switch on the top horn doesnt show too well in the photo, sorry. Very nice through-neck with comfort contouring round the neck joint, usual stunning Matsumoku stuff. I originally bought this several years ago when I was going through a very big CS phase, and was into doing tribute bands etc. I was going to do the exact same mods to this (shave the horn, add chrome plate with controls laid out more logically, fit Badass bridge, and refin in white) but I never got round to it. In a way, I am glad, as this is a very nice bass in its own right. it has some laquer blooming on the headstock, several chips round the edge, and needs a few minor tweaks to get it lovely, but it plays nice as it stands, sounds great with the varitone switching, and is an odd mix of Rickenbacker and Guild in its parts, styling and feel, the neck is very similar to the Guild 301, nice and fat but extremely comfy. The abalone bowtie inlays are stunning. The build quality is fantastic, and typical of the high end Matsumoku stuff of this era.

Offers/swaps? Im looking for 80s Status/Vigier/Steinberg type stuff, cash, PX, whatever, if the offer is good I will consider it, this is an unusual and quite scarce bass, but I need something more suited to my current playing style, rather than this (lets be frank) pipedream project.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78BivgombIE"]click here for Yes - Tempus Fugit video featuring CS modified Electra[/url]

Edited by robocorpse

[quote name='Bassassin' post='656495' date='Nov 16 2009, 10:17 PM']F*ck me.

Do you have a cash price?

*Ejaculates & faints simultaneously*

Jon.[/quote]

yeah, yeah, yeah! what ^^ he says!!

:)

Andy

Edited by andy67

Chuck some PMs/offers my way and give me a few days to digest them. Like I said, this is a feeler, but I am open to serious offers. This bass took me around 3 years hard searching to locate (and that was around 10 years ago), they are very scarce instruments. I am loathe to part with it purely because I always lusted after CS white special, but never had the guts to do the surgery on this one, but I need cash, and/or another bass that I can actually use. Lets face it, if I had actually done the modifications, it would be worth a fxcking fortune, as I know of NO OTHER examples that have been modded to CS spec apart from Chris' own example.

Bump, I have changed this from a "Feeler" to a "For Sale" due to increased interest. Please make sensible offers via PM.

Here are some more pics:

[attachment=36559:PICTA_4676__Large_.jpg] Rear cavity with the flanger removed to show you the "guts" of the beastie.

[attachment=36561:PICTA_4683__Large_.jpg] Yumm!

[attachment=36563:PICTA_4687__Large_.jpg] Yummo Abaloneeeeeeee!

[attachment=36562:PICTA_4684__Large_.jpg]Blooming laquer on headstock, common reaction on clear poly.

[attachment=36560:PICTA_4677__Large_.jpg]Rear headstock showing brazing on elephant ear buttons.

Edited by robocorpse

[quote name='robocorpse' post='657021' date='Nov 17 2009, 02:28 PM']Bump, I have changed this from a "Feeler" to a "For Sale" due to increased interest. Please make sensible offers via PM.[/quote]

I think it'd be better to put a price as inviting offers would make this an auction which is against the T's & C's.

Oh boy, if only it was white, been gassing for one of these for a long time. BUT, I have given up on this "make me an offer" business, it's nothing but a bitter game which has made me think the seller is thinking "I know what it's worth but maybe there's an idiot out there". Bung a price up mate, will yer?

Crikey, none of that malarkey!, its just these come up SO rarely, its practically impossible to quantify a price. I have no intention of turning this into an auction, nor do I want to go the evilbay route if I can possibly avoid it.
OK, based on what I have already been offered in swapsies, and what I know it could be worth given the CS treatment, and adding a bit for haggling, lets start at 895 ono, or swap/px for a basically *playable* Status S2. Yes its expensive, but very very hard to find, especially with working flanger pod, those fetch anything up to 100 on their own. Am I allowed to say "offers" now :)

[quote name='silddx' post='657158' date='Nov 17 2009, 04:21 PM']I have given up on this "make me an offer" business, it's nothing but a bitter game which has made me think the seller is thinking "I know what it's worth but maybe there's an idiot out there". Bung a price up mate, will yer?[/quote]

Edited by robocorpse

[quote name='robocorpse' post='657177' date='Nov 17 2009, 04:37 PM']Crikey, none of that malarkey!, its just these come up SO rarely, its practically impossible to quantify a price. I have no intention of turning this into an auction, nor do I want to go the evilbay route if I can possibly avoid it.
OK, based on what I have already been offered in swapsies, and what I know it could be worth given the CS treatment, and adding a bit for haggling, lets start at 895 ono, or swap/px for a basically *playable* Status S2. Yes its expensive, but very very hard to find, especially with working flanger pod, those fetch anything up to 100 on their own. Am I allowed to say "offers" now :rolleyes:[/quote]
Nice one! Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you, just venting slightly :) Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='robocorpse' post='657021' date='Nov 17 2009, 02:28 PM']Bump, I have changed this from a "Feeler" to a "For Sale" due to increased interest. Please make sensible offers via PM.

Here are some more pics:

[attachment=36559:PICTA_4676__Large_.jpg] Rear cavity with the flanger removed to show you the "guts" of the beastie.

[attachment=36561:PICTA_4683__Large_.jpg] Yumm!

[attachment=36563:PICTA_4687__Large_.jpg] Yummo Abaloneeeeeeee!

[attachment=36562:PICTA_4684__Large_.jpg]Blooming laquer on headstock, common reaction on clear poly.

[attachment=36560:PICTA_4677__Large_.jpg]Rear headstock showing brazing on elephant ear buttons.[/quote]

WOW.
I've seen one of these and always wondered what the large panel was for!
Very rare!!!!

[attachment=36590:electra3l.jpg]

Would definately be on my shopping list, only someone wrote my car off, last
week and I might have to actually sell something off to pay for another one.
Sniff! :)

Dammit, thats horrid luck!
I have seen a bass FS I rather fancy now, so I am eager to hear sensible offers on my (admittedly high) opening price, I have had a couple of unrealistic ones already, and people with severe Electra GAS but no dosh :rolleyes: Dammit! Must sell more gear!

[quote name='FlatEric' post='657340' date='Nov 17 2009, 06:50 PM']WOW.
Would definately be on my shopping list, only someone wrote my car off, last
week and I might have to actually sell something off to pay for another one.
Sniff! :)[/quote]

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='658112' date='Nov 18 2009, 02:10 PM']This would be great with a few mods! Turn it into a propper Chirs Squire Electra! Although I prefer the brown to the white.[/quote]
No - it would be f*cking unforgiveable vandalism.

How is this different to getting a 1960s Precision & hacking it into a teardrop shape because that's what Geddy Lee did? Except 60s Ps are a damn sight easier to find - in any condition - than these.

J.

Aint ya glad I left it stock then ? :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='658359' date='Nov 18 2009, 05:56 PM']No - it would be f*cking unforgiveable vandalism.

How is this different to getting a 1960s Precision & hacking it into a teardrop shape because that's what Geddy Lee did? Except 60s Ps are a damn sight easier to find - in any condition - than these.

J.[/quote]

[quote name='Bassassin' post='658359' date='Nov 18 2009, 05:56 PM']No - it would be f*cking unforgiveable vandalism.

J.[/quote]

So pink or yellow?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='658496' date='Nov 18 2009, 08:14 PM']haha yeah i agree, i don't think modding it like CS did will make it any more valuable, as it's not stock any more. The only one that will be worth more because it's been modded like Chris Squire's is Chris Squire's.[/quote]

I think a humbucker, a Badass and pink paintjob would be awesome, I wish I had the cash.