Why become a member? ×

How much to de-fret a neck?

solo4652

I was quoted £175 by a highly respected luthier (price included getting the board flat also) but have heard of it being done for as little as £40. I think the amount you spend is a function of how much the bass is worth and how important it is to get the job done perfectly.

Chris

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='656169' date='Nov 16 2009, 05:56 PM']I am now semi-retired, but have done dozens in my time at a cost of £65. A lot of people I know have done their own with varying degrees of success.[/quote]

Now I know where I'm sending my next defret :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='656168' date='Nov 16 2009, 05:53 PM']I was quoted £175 by a highly respected luthier (price included getting the board flat also) but have heard of it being done for as little as £40. I think the amount you spend is a function of how much the bass is worth and how important it is to get the job done perfectly.

Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris,

As usual, you have come up with the information I need in double-quick time. Thanks.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='656186' date='Nov 16 2009, 06:12 PM']Hi Chris,

As usual, you have come up with the information I need in double-quick time. Thanks.

Steve[/quote]

Hey Steve

If Howard (Bass Doc) will do it for £65, I'd have a chat with him. I was inferring above that you get what you pay for with this type of job. From what I've heard on here about Howard's work he sounds like the rare exception.

Right, that was clear as mud, what I mean is that £65 is bloody good for quality work which is no doubt what you'd get :)

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='656203' date='Nov 16 2009, 06:30 PM']Hey Steve

If Howard (Bass Doc) will do it for £65, I'd have a chat with him. I was inferring above that you get what you pay for with this type of job. From what I've heard on here about Howard's work he sounds like the rare exception.

Right, that was clear as mud, what I mean is that £65 is bloody good for quality work which is no doubt what you'd get :)

Chris[/quote]

All clear now! Just a thought - Since I'd really like to end up with an unlined fingerboard, would it be any easier/quicker to replace the existing fretted maple 'board with a new unlined 'board? Anybody know of the likely costs of that?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' post='656210' date='Nov 16 2009, 06:35 PM']All clear now! Just a thought - Since I'd really like to end up with an unlined fingerboard, would it be any easier/quicker to replace the existing fretted maple 'board with a new unlined 'board? Anybody know of the likley costs of that?

Steve[/quote]

A lot more (I was quoted around £300 by the same guy who quoted £175 for the defret so I guess if these prices are scalable you can work from there).

To be honest, if you're going that far a custom or after-market fretless neck is by fr your best bet, you'll be amazed what a decent tech can do with a Fender-style aftermarket neck (e.g., Mighty Mite, Allparts, Warmoth) on a wide range of basses :)

Chris

[quote name='solo4652' post='656210' date='Nov 16 2009, 07:35 PM']All clear now! Just a thought - Since I'd really like to end up with an unlined fingerboard, would it be any easier/quicker to replace the existing fretted maple 'board with a new unlined 'board? Anybody know of the likely costs of that?

Steve[/quote]
I've just posted a question about doing the very same thing. If it's a bound board it's easier, if it's a rosewood/ebony on maple then it's not too bad and if it's a one piece maple neck then it's a precision machining job and will probably account for every penny of the 300 Beedster was quoted. Bear in mind you can get a very good neck ready made for a couple of hundred quid. It's in no way quicker or easier though.

I've recently been quoted £220.00 for a defret with a lined finish, and another inquiry which wouldn't quote without seeing the neck. I'm seriously thinking of just buying a fretless bass. Has anyone else come to the same conclusion or decided to take that route?

Cheers

JDH

I asked a local guitar tech. for a quote for de-fretting my G&L (maple f/board). The reply was:

"Hi Steve,

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have a fretless with a lacquered (or even
unlacquered) maple board. I think it would soon be marked by the strings."

Oh. That's plan D scuppered, then. So, it's either buy a Mighty Mite fretless neck for the G&L and hope it can be made to fit, or give up and simply buy a fretless bass.

Or just play my fretless 'Ray to death.

Steve

I've done two of my own basses in the past. (One Jazz and one Telecaster bass) Taking your time is the key to success. I filled the slots with veneer. Took about a week of evenings to do each one and they both turned out great.

Although if you can get someone to do it for £65-£80. Go for it.

[quote name='leschirons' post='656540' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:01 PM']I've done two of my own basses in the past. (One Jazz and one Telecaster bass) Taking your time is the key to success. I filled the slots with veneer. Took about a week of evenings to do each one and they both turned out great.

Although if you can get someone to do it for £65-£80. Go for it.[/quote]

If you ever want to sell that Telecaster let me know

C

[quote name='solo4652' post='656518' date='Nov 16 2009, 11:41 PM']I asked a local guitar tech. for a quote for de-fretting my G&L (maple f/board). The reply was:

"Hi Steve,

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have a fretless with a lacquered (or even
unlacquered) maple board. I think it would soon be marked by the strings."

Oh. That's plan D scuppered, then. So, it's either buy a Mighty Mite fretless neck for the G&L and hope it can be made to fit, or give up and simply buy a fretless bass.

Or just play my fretless 'Ray to death.

Steve[/quote]
So long as the finish is thick and durable enough you shouldn't have too many problems. Maple Fenders were polyester coated and from what I've been told just had a few extra coats over the board area. All fretless boards suffer wear in long term and you just need to keep an eye on it and a small budget for refinishes.

There should be no issues with defretting a maple touchboard. Wear has more to do with your choice of string and weight of touch/playing style than anything else. Use flat wound or ground/half wound strings and you'll reduce your wear rate. The thing to bear in mind is a raw maple touchboard will not be as bright as a coated touchboard, but may lack the depth/warmth of an ebony board. But it's all down to personal preference.

[quote name='noelk27' post='656680' date='Nov 17 2009, 09:12 AM']There should be no issues with defretting a maple touchboard. Wear has more to do with your choice of string and weight of touch/playing style than anything else. Use flat wound or ground/half wound strings and you'll reduce your wear rate. The thing to bear in mind is a raw maple touchboard will not be as bright as a coated touchboard, but may lack the depth/warmth of an ebony board. But it's all down to personal preference.[/quote]

Agreed on defretting a maple board, but I would stronly advise against leaving it unfinished as the tone is very subdued in comparison with a finished board or other woods. Intonation is also not as easy on an unfinished board.

C

[quote name='ianrunci' post='656816' date='Nov 17 2009, 11:37 AM']I did my own. Plastic wood, some wet and dry and a tin of stain. Turned out a treat. Although it was soon showing signs of wear as I was using roundwounds on it[/quote]

I'd never trust myself to do that - I'd make a total mess of it!