Why become a member? ×

Sting's Bass

Kenny_K75

Sting has 2 but I believe that this is the 1957 one which makes it one of the last of the single coils before Fender went with the split pickup style.

I believe that his is fitted with a Seymour Duncan humbucker.

This bass was the inspiration for my own Warmoth creation:

sadly no longer with me.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='653488' date='Nov 13 2009, 11:27 AM']Get a MIJ Sting P, hack out the Stinglay from the 12th fret, and then drag the bass through a hedge. For twenty years.[/quote]

You beat me to it there, Michael! I was going to say, "Buy the CIJ Sting signature bass, remove the body and kick it around a gravel carpark for a couple of hours." Instant result! :)

now Fender do road worn i.e. Mexican Relics, why don't they change production to MIM from MIJ on the sting bass and do a roadworn sting sig? WITHOUT the inlay at the 12th?
Would tickle my nuts for sure.
I've got to get a jap 51 PBass in two col at some point.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='stefboltonfc' post='653912' date='Nov 13 2009, 06:20 PM']No, it's an old 'telecaster style' precision mate, the Mustang's single coil is split like the post 57 Precisions, and they're short scale.
And Sting's sig Fender is a precision etc
Only one single coil pickup, and hardly attractive... is this not a totally ruined Mustang?[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='653488' date='Nov 13 2009, 11:27 AM']Get a MIJ Sting P, hack out the Stinglay from the 12th fret, and then drag the bass through a hedge. For twenty years.[/quote]
That thing annoys the hell outta me! Given Sting's vanity, I'll bet that he insisted the 'stinglay' went in, as opposed to a signature on the scratchplate, something which you could remove and replace. Sure, you could dig it out and sent it off to get filled, but that would cost a few bob.

Speaking of String (sic), his dot-neck Jazz is a beauty.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='653480' date='Nov 13 2009, 11:09 AM']Sting has 2 but I believe that this is the 1957 one which makes it one of the last of the single coils before Fender went with the split pickup style.

I believe that his is fitted with a Seymour Duncan humbucker.

This bass was the inspiration for my own Warmoth creation:

sadly no longer with me.[/quote]
jeez, where did that go to? You shoulda kept that!