Why become a member? ×

Bolin Ned Steinberger 5 string Bass *SOLD*

warwickhunt

[quote name='ZPQ' post='71357' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:35 PM']Is this the one that was on the bay last week?

I was really close to putting in an offer and then it was gone....
If you want a 4 string version it might be easier to sell this (to me ;-) ) and then buy the 4.

(I suspect you want to keep this until a 4 string comes along rather than have a gap while you look for a 4).

Cheers
John[/quote]********************************OR ME

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='71454' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:13 AM']Yes I have indeed made a rash purchase (again), convinced that I'd be able to convert to a 5 (again) but SWMBO has pointed out that I haven't even sold one of my amps yet (again)![/quote]

I feel your pain.

[quote name='owen' post='71569' date='Oct 9 2007, 02:19 PM']I feel your pain.[/quote]

Not half as much as I will if I don't curb my spending. Testes may well be worn as winter ear muffs if I'm not careful :)

I should point out that the reason I'm angling for a trade rather than a straight sale is that if I sell this bass I fear she'll have the funds appropriated into the kitchen modernisation pot and I'll never get my hands on it. A sale isn't out of the question though.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='71593' date='Oct 9 2007, 03:08 PM']Not half as much as I will if I don't curb my spending. Testes may well be worn as winter ear muffs if I'm not careful :)

I should point out that the reason I'm angling for a trade rather than a straight sale is that if I sell this bass I fear she'll have the funds appropriated into the kitchen modernisation pot and I'll never get my hands on it. A sale isn't out of the question though.[/quote]

I really feel your pain.

I've had a couple of asks as to what I'm wanting as a swap/part ex.

I'd obviously consider an 80's early 90's Warwick, Spector NT (USA or Euro, with cash toward the former and wanting cash toward the latter), Zon especially with a fancy top. I'm also a sucker for anything in amber/amberburst but again not a Fender clone or starter bass. I like comfort so I'd not entertain a heavy or big bodied bass.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

[quote name='Bassman7' post='73564' date='Oct 12 2007, 09:08 PM']I remember when they were reviewed in Bass Player, drool worthy or what, seriously a very nice instrument and don't let go of it! Thanks for some nice pics too![/quote]Agreed. Ed Straker! What a legend Ed Bishop is.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='73567' date='Oct 12 2007, 09:12 PM']Agreed. Ed Straker! What a legend Ed Bishop is.[/quote]

Why I thank you Ed Straker, a cultured appreciation of classic (the one and only) Gerry Anderson. Sky 1...hey that's a great name for a bass!!

BTW - awesome TV soundtracks with great 60/70s basslines!!!

Edited by SMART

[quote name='Bassman7' post='73564' date='Oct 12 2007, 09:08 PM']I remember when they were reviewed in Bass Player, drool worthy or what, seriously a very nice instrument and don't let go of it! Thanks for some nice pics too![/quote]

Unfortunately I am finally establishing that a) I'm not a Fender guy, :) 5 is one string too many and c) I'm probably going to regret selling this!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='73575' date='Oct 12 2007, 10:02 PM']Unfortunately I am finally establishing that a) I'm not a Fender guy, :) 5 is one string too many and c) I'm probably going to regret selling this![/quote]

We all know that a 4 and 5-string bass are quite different beasts to master but oh how about some 'wipe on wipe off' effort as once you've adjusted to the delights of the 5 with a killer low B to boot it opens up new musical vistas; surely worth perservering??

[quote name='SMART' post='73581' date='Oct 12 2007, 10:16 PM']We all know that a 4 and 5-string bass are quite different beasts to master but oh how about some 'wipe on wipe off' effort as once you've adjusted to the delights of the 5 with a killer low B to boot it opens up new musical vistas; surely worth perservering??[/quote]

In 99% of cases probably. However I'm an old dog and my style of attack the bass as an old and trusted friend doesn't lend itself to simple mind tricks like adjusting for one more string :)

I'm not some bass ludite but I know what I do and I do it (moderately) well, unfortunately others do the 5 (far) better. I love our instrument the bass and I like to do it justice, hence my very rare desire to play something that doesn't bear the big 'W'... so does anyone have a Bolin 4, even if it isn't for sale?

[quote name='charic' post='73673' date='Oct 13 2007, 09:00 AM']Get a 6 instead go on u know it makes sense :)

Incidently ive never found a 5 im comfortable with but i can play a trb1006 just aswell as my pbass[/quote]

Nope. 4's only for me along with my new rule of no Fenders!

I do have to say that this Bolin is soooo comfortable, the weight and balance is great. I had some reservations as I thought the bodied looked large but it isn't. So much so that if I do get the opportunity to bag a 4 string version of this bass I'll be taking it with absolutely no qualms.

Restrung and ready to go in OHSC. £740 collected or organise your own courier.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='73744' date='Oct 13 2007, 01:11 PM']A wise choice sir.... it was the price that was the decider wasn't it!

I've not had confirmation from another interested party so it's yours.

I'm replying to your PM re. payment.[/quote]

It was GAS in it's purest form. You know how it is :)

If this does it for me, then I will be offloading a couple of basses pronto. If not, then it will be back up sharpish, so if someone else here fancied it then all is not lost!

[quote]If this does it for me, then I will be offloading a couple of basses pronto. If not, then it will be back up sharpish, so if someone else here fancied it then all is not lost![/quote]

i really, really, really hope you like it. when i saw that price i started to wonder what worth i could put on my nan and her cooking skills..

enjoy it! please..

Edited by wotnwhy

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm back home I'm happy to say the pending part is now cleared, so yes it is sold.

I actually started to really like that bass and even started to get used to the 5, hence should the new owner NOT like it I have first refusal to get it straight back!

Cheers for the enquiry.

Edited by warwickhunt