Why become a member? ×

Shukered Sei !

Johngh

I have a 6 string Sei Flamboyant that has Bartolini P4 pups and an Aguilar OBB3 preamp. The problem is it just don't sing. Its a 2 band EQ bass and treble, with the treble whacked up full its as dead as a dog. The Bass pot is far too sensative, just a bit of boost and its very boomy, after that its unusable. So its off to Mr Shuker for an overhaul, and a new 3 band preamp. But which one ? Any help will be appreciated. I have talked to Jon about it and he agrees that the OBB3 is very bass biased.

Edited by Johngh

[quote name='Rich' post='70862' date='Oct 7 2007, 11:44 PM']My experiences of Barto pickups are not inspiring either. Is it worth considering a pickup swap too?[/quote]

It may be Rich. I'm going to let Jon have a look at the Bass first and sort the neck out. There is supposed to be an internal pot on the preamp that will boost the midrange, it might be a simple case of sorting that out. I'm not going to fanny about with it because I will probably make it worse. I thought of taking it to Martin at The Gallery, but I'll just end up paying Gallery prices for something that Jon can do, I'm lucky to have Mr Shuker more or less on my doorstep.

What about the [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/#"]Audere[/url]?

Hamster has a 3ZB in his Lakland with 4 bands of EQ. I have a JZ3D 3 band with a 2 band about to turn up on my doorstep. It's a very good and, most of all, very musical sounding preamp. I used to really fiddle with the tone controls on my deluxe jazz, now I just use the Z-mode switch and pickup blend and passive tone - the active EQ hardly gets touched.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sei has been with Jon for a week now. He has tried to cure the dead spots but its not possible. So, shock horror, :huh: the frets have got to come out and the neck has to be re-levelled. And all for a bargain price. So at least I should be able to play it once it comes back. :)

I had a similar problem with my Sei, not deadspots, but a very lifeless, boomy tone. I put this down mainly to the Barts and Schack pre. I loved the neck profile though, it was incredibly comfortable. I'm sure yours will be killer when you get it back.

[quote name='MB1' post='76446' date='Oct 19 2007, 12:06 PM']MB1. :)
Dreaded deadspots again eh? a nice Status with a carbon graphite neck should solve that dilemma!and will probably work out cheaper in the long run![/quote]

I've already got a nice Status with carbon graphite neck, and pretty lights on it too. Its proving to be the best bass I've got at the moment.

[quote name='MB1' post='76529' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:10 PM']MB1. :)

Bet youre glad you didnt part with that one as well, eh!.....+1 for Mr Green.[/quote]

Or a lovely KLD patterned Modulus neck, superb!

Caption: "Carbon fibre does wonders for my hair, no dead-spots, stays just the same rain or shine every time I take it out of its case..."

I love my Modulus, no dead spots......fantastic.

I've always found Sei's to be great basses, I've never played one that had dead spots, how would removing the frets and levelling the fretboard cure the problem, and what actually causes the problem in the 1st place.

As regards the choice of preamp, I had an OBP3 in a Roscoe bass a few years ago, that was quite 'boomy' sounding, it had a very prominent low mid bump.

I have a John East U-retro deluxe in my Modulus, it's probably the most versatile pre that I've tried, it sounds great with the Bart pickups.

[quote name='Bassman7' date='Oct 19 2007, 06:30 PM' post='76641']
Or a lovely KLD patterned Modulus neck, superb!

Caption: "Carbon fibre does wonders for my hair, no dead-spots, stays just the same rain or shine every time I take it out of its case..."

MB1. :)
Oh, to be on moonbase in the summertime, with my love!.

[quote name='Mokl' post='76474' date='Oct 19 2007, 02:41 PM']I had a similar problem with my Sei, not deadspots, but a very lifeless, boomy tone. I put this down mainly to the Barts and Schack pre.[/quote]
A good luthier though should have suggested components that would give better results. My experience with Sei has been very, VERY dissappointing. Beautiful shapes, great looks (the craftmanship if you see it as furniture is awesome) but not much else.

To johngh: honestly, get rid of the barts. A Villex all-passive system would be great, and you wouldn't have to buy another preamp as well. Also Dingwall pickups are great, but I'm not sure if they will fit your bass. Anyway, the aguilar pre is pretty transparent, and when I compared it to the passive mode on a Dingwall there wasn't much difference, so I highly doubt that your pre is to blame. Didn't the sei guys put an active/passive switch? This way you'be able to know for sure. Anyway, it's probably the last thing I would change.

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='78807' date='Oct 24 2007, 01:37 PM']A good luthier though should have suggested components that would give better results. My experience with Sei has been very, VERY dissappointing. Beautiful shapes, great looks (the craftmanship if you see it as furniture is awesome) but not much else.

To johngh: honestly, get rid of the barts. A Villex all-passive system would be great, and you wouldn't have to buy another preamp as well. Also Dingwall pickups are great, but I'm not sure if they will fit your bass. Anyway, the aguilar pre is pretty transparent, and when I compared it to the passive mode on a Dingwall there wasn't much difference, so I highly doubt that your pre is to blame. Didn't the sei guys put an active/passive switch? This way you'be able to know for sure. Anyway, it's probably the last thing I would change.[/quote]

From my experience the Aguilar OBP3 preamp is anything but transparent, it has a massive mid range hump, I'm amazed that someone ordered this bass with just a 2 band preamp, having the mid control inside makes no sense at all to me.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='76696' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:47 PM']I love my Modulus, no dead spots......fantastic.

I've always found Sei's to be great basses, I've never played one that had dead spots, how would removing the frets and levelling the fretboard cure the problem, and what actually causes the problem in the 1st place.

As regards the choice of preamp, I had an OBP3 in a Roscoe bass a few years ago, that was quite 'boomy' sounding, it had a very prominent low mid bump.

I have a John East U-retro deluxe in my Modulus, it's probably the most versatile pre that I've tried, it sounds great with the Bart pickups.[/quote]

I was informed that deadspots are caused by gaps between the frets and the neck.The luthier who told me said his solution was to plop a couple of drops of glue into the fret slots to ensure that there is a good bond.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='79955' date='Oct 26 2007, 08:10 PM']From my experience the Aguilar OBP3 preamp is anything but transparent, it has a massive mid range hump, I'm amazed that someone ordered this bass with just a 2 band preamp, having the mid control inside makes no sense at all to me.[/quote]

It seemed a bit odd to me as well. Jon Shuker is going to fit me a mid pot on the body, so I will see how I go with it once it comes back. Then decide if I change the preamp or pups.
I've only just caught up with the thread, home internets been down for a couple of days. Many thanks for all the advice ! :)