Why become a member? ×

Middle finger problems

ianrunci

I had a strange episode last night while playing higher and higher. I normally play with middle and index finger and suddenly in the middle of the song my middle finger stuck to my palm and wouldn't come back into position. I had to finish off the set with one finger.

I can feel twinges in my palm and forearm even now

Anyone know what might be causing this? It's never happened to me before

Edited by ianrunci

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='649075' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:12 PM']Get yourself to the doctors mate, people on here can only give educated guesses, you need professional advice.

Hope it's nothing serious buddy.[/quote]

there was no pain or anything Wayne, it just locked against the palm and I had to actually lift it from the palm with my other hand. it lasted for a couple of tunes and then it was ok for the final song again. Very weird indeed

[quote name='iamapirate' post='649230' date='Nov 8 2009, 10:25 PM']Get medical advice, all of you! Practise blood circulation - is it similar to pins and needles only without the 'pain'?[/quote]

Nah it's nothing like pins and needles. Its a tendon problem. The finger stuck in position and wouldn't move. I could feel the tendon in my forearm becoming tight. Possibly I think it might have been because of poor positioning of my arm while I am playing. I'll see how I am at the next gig on sat and if I have a reccurence i will make an appointment with my GP. I just wondered if anyone else had suffered the same issues

Had a similar thing ages ago with my left wrist after I'd done 2 sets on a 6 string bass. I'd never played one before and was considering buying one so I borrowed one for the gig. My hand was obviously not used to the width and got fatigued pretty quickly, didn't help that most of the stuff I was playing was around the Low C. It cleared up after a couple of days but a drummer friend of mine told me it was a warning sign to RSI and told me to make sure I stretch properly before I play. +1 to everyone who's said get it checked out, muscles and tendons can be quite complicated and tend to do odd things when they get tired.

I've had similar before & use my index & ring finger (or grab a pick for some songs).

When I first read your title for the post I thought it might be a similar problem to one I have with my left hand where any time my middle finger isn't being used, it sticks straight up & looks like I'm giving everyone the bird.!..
It's only recently that I've noticed I do this after watching a dvd of one of my bands & now I try to make a conscious effort to not raise the flag.

I would err on caution & go to the doc's about your finger tho.

it's a form of cramp. its when you play too hard or too much and lactic acid build up forces your tendons to contract. used to happen to me all the time, i went to the docs about it and he just said not to play so hard. havnt had the problem in years now. just had to change my technique a little and not press down so hard.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='649518' date='Nov 9 2009, 11:26 AM']it's a form of cramp. its when you play too hard or too much and lactic acid build up forces your tendons to contract. used to happen to me all the time, i went to the docs about it and he just said not to play so hard. havnt had the problem in years now. just had to change my technique a little and not press down so hard.[/quote]
That has been my experience. I since changed to using TI jazz flats and turned my amp up & use a limiter (cheapo green behringer pedal) I let the amp do the work and play with a much lighter touch. Haven't had the dreaded hand cramp since.

"Trigger finger" is the first thing that springs to my mind, was it anything like [url="http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw022.htm"]this?[/url]

Looking at your avatar there does seem to be tension from your right shoulder down to your hand when you are playing. As echoed above I would get anything looked at by a professional rather than risking permanent damage; from a playing/technique point of view however I would suggest shifting your bass more to the centre of your body rather than off to the right - this will enable you to drop your shoulder a bit and straighten that wrist.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='649075' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:12 PM']Get yourself to the doctors mate, people on here can only give educated guesses, you need professional advice.

Hope it's nothing serious buddy.[/quote]
Hi Ian, +1 for Wayne's advice.
I have the same problem with the little finger on my right hand. The "trigger finger" article decribes it perfectly, but I would rather a doctor told me than some article on t'internet.
Haw's it going BTW? We haven't had a chat for ages.

Definately trigger finger.

I have had it for two years now, painful cortisone injections every 3 montsh until the last time it happened when my finger couldn't move at all.

Hade to have a piece of tendon removed under a local. 5 stitches some pain afterwards but it has now been 6 weeks since it was done and I am back upto playing not and the finger is about 95% done, feels soooooo much better.

[quote name='Stickman' post='649736' date='Nov 9 2009, 03:11 PM']"Trigger finger" is the first thing that springs to my mind, was it anything like [url="http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw022.htm"]this?[/url]

Looking at your avatar there does seem to be tension from your right shoulder down to your hand when you are playing. As echoed above I would get anything looked at by a professional rather than risking permanent damage; from a playing/technique point of view however I would suggest shifting your bass more to the centre of your body rather than off to the right - this will enable you to drop your shoulder a bit and straighten that wrist.[/quote]

Looks like that might be the problem. Although I still maintain there was no pain more a kind of twitch in the forearm muscle. I managed to play the last tune with both fingers and it didn't happen again ( touch wood) but I have made an appointment at the GPs just in case. I'll update you when I have spoken to him

[quote name='Geek99' post='650593' date='Nov 10 2009, 01:21 PM']Speaking as someone who has just had major hand surgery for rsi, I would say its not something you should ignore or selftreat.
I'd get two opinions, if it were me.[/quote]
+1 and I would lower the bass- your wrist needs to be straight- or as straight as you can manage- always seems strange when someone picks up their shoulder- a bit like quasimodo- so lowering the bass I`m sure will put less strain on the wrist. Worked for me - see the dos though

Bob

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='651284' date='Nov 11 2009, 07:44 AM']+1 and I would lower the bass- your wrist needs to be straight- or as straight as you can manage- always seems strange when someone picks up their shoulder- a bit like quasimodo- so lowering the bass I`m sure will put less strain on the wrist. Worked for me - see the dos though

Bob[/quote]
Another +1 here.

That position would suit you of you was a slapper...

...In the Mark King sense.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='649084' date='Nov 8 2009, 08:17 PM']there was no pain or anything Wayne, it just locked against the palm and I had to actually lift it from the palm with my other hand. it lasted for a couple of tunes and then it was ok for the final song again. Very weird indeed[/quote]

still worth a second opinion...the doc
my guess is a form of cramp or rsi

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury"]RSI[/url]