Why become a member? ×

Fingerpicking - 1/2/3/4??

fusionbassist1

My answer would vary depending on what I'm playing - for walking bass lines I often only use one finger and add a second in for skips, etc. For most soloing and groove playing I use two and occasionally my thumb and/or third finger. For chordal stuff I mainly use thumb & three fingers with the (very) occasional fourth finger.

I prefer the sound of one as you don't get the inconsistent tone of using more, but it's not practical over certain tempos.
Cheers,
Alun

I've always used 3, with a 3, 2, 1 pattern. I do alternate between 2 and 3 for some passages, as for 16th note string skipping 2 is more precise. I tend to add a lot of triplet embellishments in that wouldn't feel as natural to execute with 2 fingers.

If I'm pounding a straight 4/4 line on one string I'll count it as 3, 2, 1, 3 - 2, 1, 3, 2 - 1, 3, 2, 1, sometimes putting emphasis on the 1 in each bar, if it suits, whichever finger that might be. It's a bit odd I suppose but as I've been doing it for so long it feels pretty natural to me.

i prefer using one finger unless i need to play fast, as it keep sound nice n consistant, especially if your using a touchy distortion, but most of the time i do end up using 2 for the pure ease of it. never used a 3rd finger, and only use my thumb for slappin and struming

I use the "usual" alternating middle/index system, except that I damp the string above the one I'm striking with my third finger and play "through" the string into the damped string.
I use my pinky to pop when slapping, as it can fit between the G and D strings more easily than my third finger. Oh, and my thumb to slap with (on the rare occasion that I do...)

I still classify myself as a 2-finger player, though.

All of the options, I 'tend' to use as following, but I don't think about it at all really. What ever my right hand does I just go with as after lots of practice I have got to the point where I am quite free with my right hand technique.

1 (thumb or index) for walking.
2 (I & M) for faster walking and whatever feels natural.
3 (IMR or PIM) for grooves or fast lines
4 (PIMA) for grooves or fast lines

For some reason, I got it into my head that I could play faster, smoother rythms, if I could get my three fingers going 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2 etc. I'm pretty much there now, but it was a very unnatural thing to try and do. I don't know if anyone else plays like this? This is for very fast (imho) stuff that I want finger (as opposed to pick) tone for.

I'd agree with Alun about his walking theory. 1 finger but sometimes adding a second for a little sparkle.

I often use my thumb (not in the slapping or muting sense). I guess that means I sometimes use 3 fingers.....oh dear - I lied in the poll..... :wacko:

I'm trying to use my ring finger too but am finding it gets in the way of consistancy...practice methinks.

I use a mixture of thumb, index, middle and ring with the ring finger either adding speed or different rhythmic options on fast lines (triplets, flicks and mutes) or making string crossing cleaner and quicker.

the extra fingers allow for better muting and ghost notes, which give playing more life and character.