Why become a member? ×

1978 Fender Precision Fretless = SOLD =

Davo-London

[quote name='Davo-London' post='762376' date='Mar 2 2010, 11:05 PM']I'm putting this back as the Kings Road store don't seem to have sold it.

Davo[/quote]

Forum rules say you should (must) quote a price. See 'Important changes to the Marketplace' at the top/pinned.

Edited by Sparky Mark

[quote name='Davo-London' post='763492' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:16 PM']And yet I can't sell it. So how is it too cheap?

Davo[/quote]

I think it could be that it's a rock/blues bass with a jazzers neck, so it's going to appeal to a smaller market. I know this is a crude generalisation, but Precisions are great for straight up no nonsense bass playing and fretless necks require high levels of technical ability, and that may be the problem.

[quote name='tarcher' post='763214' date='Mar 3 2010, 06:24 PM']Too cheap.

I'd have thought 1500 in that condition but what do I know.[/quote]

+1...id love a fretless P, and im sure Clarky would. If I had £1k id have this...seriously. Thats a massive bargain.

[quote name='Sparky Mark' post='763503' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:31 PM']I think it could be that it's a rock/blues bass with a jazzers neck, so it's going to appeal to a smaller market. I know this is a crude generalisation, but Precisions are great for straight up no nonsense bass playing and fretless necks require high levels of technical ability, and that may be the problem.[/quote]
This doesn't disprove your point or anything, but a counter-example to that is Boz Burrell in Bad Company, using (I'm pretty sure) a fretless precision alongside an Ampeg.

Andy

[quote name='Sparky Mark' post='763503' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:31 PM']I think it could be that it's a rock/blues bass with a jazzers neck, so it's going to appeal to a smaller market. I know this is a crude generalisation, but Precisions are great for straight up no nonsense bass playing and fretless necks require high levels of technical ability, and that may be the problem.[/quote]

I disagree with all of that. Precision is a rock/blues bass (I won't even bother providing examples of jazz, funk, pop, indie Precision players, there's too many to list)? Fretless is for 'Jazzers' (what, famous Jazzers like Rick Danko, Jeff Ament, Les Claypool)? Precisions are for 'no nonsense' playing (not sure what you mean by no-nonsense really but I suspect the tone is one of root notes etc, Rocco Prestia immediately springs to mind...)? Fretless necks require high levels of skill (so do fretted necks)?

OK, you admit they're crude generalisations, yes, but probably sufficiently crude to warrant not writing them in the first place :)

IME, having owned a few, most players are simply suspicious of maple fretless in terms of tone and rate of wear. Both are, again, crude generalisations!

C

Edited by Beedster

My wife says I can look but not touch.
Seriously its a lovely looking bass and if I wasn't overspent I would love to have it.
Its probably waiting for its Mr Right to come along.
I would add that if it were mine I wouldn't let it go at that price unless I were desperate.
If I were you I'd take it off the market for a few weeks then have another go at selling when possibly theres a bit more money floating around.
Theres been nothing that good looking on ebay for that price.
Good luck with whatever you do.

[quote name='Beedster' post='763645' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:43 AM']I disagree with all of that. Precision is a rock/blues bass (I won't even bother providing examples of jazz, funk, pop, indie Precision players, there's too many to list)? Fretless is for 'Jazzers' (what, famous Jazzers like Rick Danko, Jeff Ament, Les Claypool)? Precisions are for 'no nonsense' playing (not sure what you mean by no-nonsense really but I suspect the tone is one of root notes etc, Rocco Prestia immediately springs to mind...)? Fretless necks require high levels of skill (so do fretted necks)?

OK, you admit they're crude generalisations, yes, but probably sufficiently crude to warrant not writing them in the first place :)

IME, having owned a few, most players are simply suspicious of maple fretless in terms of tone and rate of wear. Both are, again, crude generalisations!

C[/quote]

OK, I give in. But you know I'm right really, we both know it :rolleyes:

[quote name='Davo-London' post='763492' date='Mar 3 2010, 11:16 PM']And yet I can't sell it. So how is it too cheap?[/quote]
You're right, no P bass is worth over £1000. It's a chunk of wood with some magnets in...

...but it's f*uckin' beatiful!

[quote name='matski' post='764937' date='Mar 5 2010, 11:28 AM']It's been sold by the Guitar Emporium. :)[/quote]

You are correct. I can categorically state that it has been sold. They have had the bass for 9 months or so!

Thanks to all who have PM'd interest and sorry to Matski.

Davo