Why become a member? ×

???

beerdragon

Ah...this is alot like my Flea rant...a little pointless and doesnt mean anything apart from you just dont like style of music...

i liked the edgar winter band! ....not alot of music going on in the Nick Cave clip..but i may be missing the point...

Doesnt help that your opinions are about one of best bassists in the world, and your on a bass forum..

cant see how you think Marcus has got no soul...check out some of his other vids..

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='630128' date='Oct 19 2009, 10:15 AM']For my 2 pence worth, I don't think I'd ever enjoy music when all the crowd is sitting down.

The music was alright if you like that kind of thing but the sax player just seemed to be hitting random notes.[/quote]

Those Jazz saxophonist's..havent got a clue have they.. :)

I've been playing Frankenstein live for a couple of years now. It always turns into an every man for himself, lets all solo at the same time, free for all. I think it's the nature of the tune.

Marcus Miller (and band) make some great music. You should check out some of their studio albums, it's very different to the self indulgent live music...which seems to be more about stagecraft and impressing the musicians in the audience.

It just goes to show that our souls dance to different rhythms.

I found Nick Cave dire and plenty of funk in MM's Frankenstein more than in Edgars Winters version which was more 'rock'.

I do like the Winter Bros too mind.

The final MM vid was very meh by comparison.

I brought Tales, which I quite like but I find that little else of MM's output that interests me.

I don't think Frankenstein really suit MM's style, but in my opinion it was a low point in Edgar Winter's career as well! Listen to Roadwork to hear EW and band firing on all 8 cylinders!

[quote name='beerdragon' post='630294' date='Oct 19 2009, 12:52 PM']This one's ok.

[/quote]

that was really good!
Funky dancey stuff, they sounded like they are having fun.

Music is like contempory visual art. When it pushes boundaries of what is possible it is interesting, when it communicates well to people it is interesting, when it conects and asks good questions it is interesting.
But I find when it just seems to be answering academic questions or understandable to people who know the theory it is less interesting. That's not to say that it's not brilliant provided you understand the theory you may be able to understand the artists intelligence and vision. Even then after time spent understanding and framing the context (I have a degree in contemporary art) it can seem vapid and soulless.
If art (and music) doesn't move people in some way, what is it's worth?
If art exists for arts sake, or for the sake of artists, is it worthwhile?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='629835' date='Oct 18 2009, 09:05 PM']Nope! If you don't like it fair enough. Would you really change your mind if someone explained why you should like it.

I don't like much of the thwakkita-thwakkita stuff Marcus is most well-known for. but I really enjoyed the clip - ta for posting it.[/quote]

This is very much like the Flea rant, where people just focus on his slap playing. The 'Thwakkita' stuff you refer to is Marcus's slap playing, which if you listen carefully is unique. He rarely overplays and is ALWAYS grooving. That's his trademark. His sound is one of the most instantly recognisable in bass history. He's a writer, producer, multi-instrumentalist, and one of the coolest guys on the planet.

Try digging into his back catalogue a bit more. Or listen to his producing and playing skills on the new George Benson album.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='630698' date='Oct 19 2009, 07:49 PM']Saying that, I'm a great fan of the original, but dig it up on YouTube or on the Old Grey Whistle Test DVD, and you'll be wanting to slit your wrists halfway through.

Jazz/rock/fusion/pap of the highest order.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant to say I love the tune and concept, but they take it to the most boring extremes.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='630048' date='Oct 19 2009, 08:45 AM']They all look a bit too pleased with themselves for my liking.

I have bits and bobs of Marcus on other folks albums and think he's a wonderful player but that sort of music sounds like it belongs in a lift car or something.

Not for me , my opinion because I was invited to give it - thankfully many will love it making neither party right or wrong.[/quote]
If i had a pound for everytime ive heard someone who has said that..Im sure the amazing musicians of the erm....'lift music' would appreciate that...but like you said each to there own..