Why become a member? ×

Should I leave my band?

Linus27

I just had to post this as I think its quite funny and just shows how crap my old band was. I left them back on 16th October. Only now have they just emailed everyone on the mailing list saying that tonights gig is cancelled :rolleyes: To use there exact words, they said,

"Due to our bass player dumping us right in it, this gig has been cancelled. We are on the hunt for a new one and will resume normal service as soon as humanly possible. Watch this space."

I found this so funny considering I left a month ago and only now do they let everyone know on the night that tonights gig is cancelled. That is just so flakey. I also let the promoter know on the day I left that I had left the band and gave them the contact details for the rest of the band which he thanked me for. Plus, like all the other gigs, it was actually one I booked anyway so I am not expecting them as they put it, to resume normal service because normal service was me booking the gigs and I am not there anymore :lol: :lol:

They have also left a few other bitchy comments about me on their Myspace page, unsubscribed me from their facebook page and removed me as a friend on each members facebook page. Do you think they were a bit upset that I left them :lol: :lol:

I guess it just goes to show how pathetic and childish they really were. I feel so sorry for the next bass player that they get. Just had to share as it made me chuckle. :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='652902' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:54 PM']I guess it just goes to show how pathetic and childish they really were. I feel so sorry for the next bass player that they get. Just had to share as it made me chuckle. :)[/quote]

Very funny in a very pathetic way.

Maybe half a dozen of us should audition for them and see what occurs ;-)

Linus Its seems we were in the same boat.

Ive half quit, but given them full quitting date of Dec 31st hahaha.

I dont want to go, but enough is enough, and I cant wait around for people who dont want to progerss.

I still have some more work to do for the new band in London, and its looking good!

Get yourself a new project asap.

:)

[quote]='skankdelvar' post='652996' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:21 PM']Me too. Potential for a colossal wind-up here.[/quote]

HAHA I think you are right, would be a great wind-up. I could so give some great feeder things to say at the audition :)

Edited by Linus27

Leaving a band….strange how it goes a little sour.

Well, I’d had enough last year, but I soldiered on. I tried to push them to write and record, and we have 2 very average songs in a year…shocking. Plus, the main leader of the band doesn’t understand the concept that’s its ok to ask to be paid for petrol…im sick of shelling out and watching the promoters go home with bags of money.

Anyway, its turned a little sour. I cant practice with them due to working hours, and I cant do a weekender they have planned. I did give them a months notice on the weekender though.

I plan to do my last gig with them in December, but Im not paying/working/doing any favours for the band itself anymore. I want to remove myself and just be their mate, like we was before it started.

Its been downhill for a year, I even admit we’ve had our day and we were popular up north for a few years, but our new songs are just not up there in terms of our usual writing.

We hardly sold any cds, and they have threatened to not pay the guy who actually put the cds together. The chap is my old friend who I DJ with, so im getting out before it gets heated.

We planned to make a fair few tshirts, and it never happened.

We never play decent gigs now due to laziness….we just play crappy home shows for the opportunity for some of the lads to show off to young women.

Im past it, im bored, and im moving soon anyway. Its turned into a right mess, and they are in debt which is not my fault. It’s a shame, but these things have to end.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='653990' date='Nov 13 2009, 07:46 PM']Leaving a band….strange how it goes a little sour.

Well, I’d had enough last year, but I soldiered on. I tried to push them to write and record, and we have 2 very average songs in a year…shocking. Plus, the main leader of the band doesn’t understand the concept that’s its ok to ask to be paid for petrol…im sick of shelling out and watching the promoters go home with bags of money.

Anyway, its turned a little sour. I cant practice with them due to working hours, and I cant do a weekender they have planned. I did give them a months notice on the weekender though.

I plan to do my last gig with them in December, but Im not paying/working/doing any favours for the band itself anymore. I want to remove myself and just be their mate, like we was before it started.

Its been downhill for a year, I even admit we’ve had our day and we were popular up north for a few years, but our new songs are just not up there in terms of our usual writing.

We hardly sold any cds, and they have threatened to not pay the guy who actually put the cds together. The chap is my old friend who I DJ with, so im getting out before it gets heated.

We planned to make a fair few tshirts, and it never happened.

We never play decent gigs now due to laziness….we just play crappy home shows for the opportunity for some of the lads to show off to young women.

Im past it, im bored, and im moving soon anyway. Its turned into a right mess, and they are in debt which is not my fault. It’s a shame, but these things have to end.[/quote]

Really does seem like its time to move on. No point flogging a dead horse and causing more grief and hassle. A few mistakes I made in the past was sticking with bands for too long. Sounds like its time to get out. Good luck and I do feel for you. Not an easy decision to make.

Oh this is getting funnier. After sending out a crappy email to all their fans on Facebook, all 215 of them, saying that Thursdays gig is cancelled due to me dumping them in it, I then get an email this morning asking for the contact details for the promotors for the Battersea and Croyden gigs. These are two of the gigs I got them and they did not want to do at the time, especially Croyden which they said is a s***hole and a C*** to get to. So in summary, they,

1. Cancel my facebook subcription
2. Cancel my friendship with them all on facebook
3. Nobody in the band at the time when leaving says sorry to see you go or bye etc
4. Then they post a nasty message about me on their facebook page
5. Then email all their fans leaving a nasty message about me
6. Then they ask for the name of the promotors for the gigs I got them that they did not want to do.

HAHAHAHA just unbelievable. I think they are in a dream world. Half of me just thinks to ignore them and the other half feels like writting back and saying after all the crap you have written about me, you can F*** Right Off.

[i]Such[/i] a dilemma - moral high ground or savage revenge? Perhaps something on the lines of :

"Hi Guys - as you requested, happy to send you the details of the gigs I booked for the band. They are: XYZ. Hope all's going well. Thanks for the unkind and untruthful Facebook comments."

Then post this to the 215 contacts. Best of both worlds.

Edited by skankdelvar

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would post a little update to this story. After all that has happened and the total lack of dedication from my old band, The Fleas who I joined in March 2009 and left in August 2009, they have finally finished and released their 4 track EP. Only 2 years later and guess what, it sounds terrible. So glad I got out and took everyones advice.

In the 2 years it took them to release a 4 track EP, I have managed to record a 10 track album on fretless which should be out in the summer, write another albums worth of songs for another project and possibly join a band who already have an album out, have done a stadium tour and are writing the second album. As most have said here, they were a bunch of wasters. Oh and even funnier, the guitarist and bass player that replaced me have both left the band. Maybe they got fed up to :):):)

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice and guidance. Sure was the right thing to do.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1145756' date='Mar 1 2011, 02:06 PM']At one level, that's excellent news Michael.

At a very different level, I start a thread complaining about "Lazarus" topics and [i]Gawdelpus [/i]you actually revive your own two-year-old thread! :)[/quote]

And you get caught into replying :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1145756' date='Mar 1 2011, 02:06 PM']At one level, that's excellent news Michael.

At a very different level, I start a thread complaining about "Lazarus" topics and [i]Gawdelpus [/i]you actually revive your own two-year-old thread! :)[/quote]

Ooops sorry, hopefully, this topic will finally die as long as nobody replies again :)