Why become a member? ×

Should I leave my band?

Linus27

As a contributor to the last debate on this subject, I'm amazed you're still even thinking about it. And you haven't even mentioned the xylophone player who hasn't actually got a xylophone stand in [i]this[/i] thread. Or was I dreaming that?

This isn't a band - it's a clown car. I'm astounded that crowds of small boys haven't turned up at your gigs to point at your compatriots and laugh themselves all the way to a soggy trouser-leg. It's the [i]worst band I've ever heard of[/i] in this respect, no matter how well everyone plays.

Trust me, you'll tell them you're pissed off and they'll be sooooo totally surprised. "But we thought you were really happy - well, maybe a bit moody" they'll say. And they'll be genuinely astonished.

And why will that be? Because you've told us all about it, but you've not yet managed to get the scale of your dissatisfaction with their abominable behaviour across to the only people who can do something about it. Your bandmates. Though I use the term loosely.

In the spirit of 'Tough Love' here are all your possible choices:

* Tell them what the problems are. Propose a new approach. Your continued involvement is conditional on rigid adherence to your demands. 99% likelihood of failure.
* Continue to enjoy the amazing music while being everyone else's bitch
* Select the most promising musician from the sorry sack of fish-heads, fire everyone else, keep the name and the songs. F*** 'em over and laugh like a maniac.
* Audition for other bands and leave this one when you're sorted. On departure, tell the 'drummer' that if he actually [i]had [/i]a bass drum, you'd piss in it. Move on to stardom and riches.
* Leave this band and sit at home in the bedroom practising scales. Mournfully. Minor scales are good for this.
* Give up playing and take up knitting.

Best of luck sorting it, Linus. You're in my thoughts. :)

[/rant]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='627509' date='Oct 16 2009, 01:05 AM']...This isn't a band - it's a clown car...

In the spirit of 'Tough Love' here are all your possible choices:

* Tell them what the problems are. Propose a new approach. Your continued involvement is conditional on rigid adherence to your demands. 99% likelihood of failure.
* Continue to enjoy the amazing music while being everyone else's bitch
* Select the most promising musician from the sorry sack of fish-heads, fire everyone else, keep the name and the songs. F*** 'em over and laugh like a maniac.
* Audition for other bands and leave this one when you're sorted. On departure, tell the 'drummer' that if he actually [i]had [/i]a bass drum, you'd piss in it. Move on to stardom and riches.
* Leave this band and sit at home in the bedroom practising scales. Mournfully. Minor scales are good for this.
* Give up playing and take up knitting.[/quote]
Love that 'clown car' comment! :rolleyes:
As far as the options go, I choose door no. 4 :)

Michael.

I just wanted to say there are a hell of a lot worse situations to be in.

Its all very easy to say just walk away now but if you enjoy playing and i know its taken you a while to find a band i still say plan on leaving but find something else first.

I still think its not a workable band due to members not owning instruments etc but the more i think about it the more im now thinking you seem to be the best man to do all those things the others wont do, so why not do them and charge the band a nominal fee.

Just an idea.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='627569' date='Oct 16 2009, 08:58 AM']you seem to be the best man to do all those things the others wont do, so why not do them and charge the band a nominal fee.

Just an idea.[/quote]

I was joking above about charging for your services.

I say this because I have played in a band where I've done a load of stuff with no extra payment but others have done a load of stuff but wanted compensation for it - a tenner for carting and storing "band" gear, milage for doing some band running about an extra tenner for doubling on instruments, etc..
It just leaves a nasty taste.
the jobs shoud be shared out more or less evenly between the willing, but bets co-ordinated by one person (say you for example) and then the rest press ganged into helping and doing their share.

[quote name='OldGit' post='627586' date='Oct 16 2009, 09:32 AM']I was joking above about charging for your services.

I say this because I have played in a band where I've done a load of stuff with no extra payment but others have done a load of stuff but wanted compensation for it - a tenner for carting and storing "band" gear, milage for doing some band running about an extra tenner for doubling on instruments, etc..
It just leaves a nasty taste.
the jobs shoud be shared out more or less evenly between the willing, but bets co-ordinated by one person (say you for example) and then the rest press ganged into helping and doing their share.[/quote]

Sorry, wasn't replying to what you said directly. I think its a good idea.

The other band i play with has one guy (guitarist) doing most of the admin, calling up, dealing with clients/venues etc and he does get a bit of money from the others.
It all works well as he doesnt begrudge having to do it all because he gets some money and the others are happy to pay a small fee so they dont have to.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='627589' date='Oct 16 2009, 09:36 AM']Sorry, wasn't replying to what you said directly. I think its a good idea.

The other band i play with has one guy (guitarist) doing most of the admin, calling up, dealing with clients/venues etc and he does get a bit of money from the others.
It all works well as he doesnt begrudge having to do it all because he gets some money and the others are happy to pay a small fee so they dont have to.[/quote]

I guess you and I are in well paid function bands though. Linus is in a fame and glory seeking but probably not paid at all orginals band .....

Well, I had a long hard think last night and came to the conclusion that staying would be the wrong thing to do and so about 5 minutes ago, I just sent me email and resigned. So, time to move onto the next thing whatever that may be. I do really appreacited everyones help. You have all been really cool and supportive and made the move much easier.

[quote name='Linus27' post='627650' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:52 AM']Well, I had a long hard think last night and came to the conclusion that staying would be the wrong thing to do and so about 5 minutes ago, I just sent me email and resigned. So, time to move onto the next thing whatever that may be. I do really appreacited everyones help. You have all been really cool and supportive and made the move much easier.[/quote]

Good luck with the next project. Resourceful people like yourself should be in bands that appreciate and support what you are doing.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='627569' date='Oct 16 2009, 08:58 AM']Michael.

I just wanted to say there are a hell of a lot worse situations to be in.

Its all very easy to say just walk away now but if you enjoy playing and i know its taken you a while to find a band i still say plan on leaving but find something else first.

I still think its not a workable band due to members not owning instruments etc but the more i think about it the more im now thinking you seem to be the best man to do all those things the others wont do, so why not do them and charge the band a nominal fee.

Just an idea.[/quote]

Thanks Dave, your advice over the last few weeks has been really appreciated. However, knowing what I am like, I always try to force the positive and make something work. If I stayed and for example, had a good gig or we did something constructive, then I would try and turn this bit of good into making the band progress and I would stop looking for a new band as I would think this band had a chance. However, I know that soon after, the usual situations would happen and I would get frustraed again and we would be back to square one. Leaving now is going to force me to look for a new band right away.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='627657' date='Oct 16 2009, 10:57 AM']Time to take the link out of your sig then.

Oh, and remember to update the myspace page and facebook pages to say that you've left. It's not like anyone else is going to do it.

S.P.[/quote]

Yeah good call, thanks.

[quote name='Linus27' post='627664' date='Oct 16 2009, 11:04 AM']Thanks Dave, your advice over the last few weeks has been really appreciated. However, knowing what I am like, I always try to force the positive and make something work. If I stayed and for example, had a good gig or we did something constructive, then I would try and turn this bit of good into making the band progress and I would stop looking for a new band as I would think this band had a chance. However, I know that soon after, the usual situations would happen and I would get frustraed again and we would be back to square one. Leaving now is going to force me to look for a new band right away.[/quote]

Yeah, i can see all that makes sense.
Well good luck. I know its not easy getting in to a band where you get on well with everyone AND enjoy playing.

Keep us posted.

If i could drive i don't think i would be with my band now but it works ok at the moment. And yes guys, i do have a rig ;-)