Why become a member? ×

Further to my Bass Bash workshop

jakenewmanbass

Hi Guys, I'm going to do a transcription of the last piece I played for you on Sat and post it here in a PDF.
In the meantime I found this clip of Jimmy Johnson with Vinnie Colaiuta doing a TV showband in the 80's. It's guys having fun with playing a theme tune but adding some of their own spice.
In exactly the terms I was discussing on Sat Jimmy keeps a monstrous groove going but every now and then pops in a jaw dropping fill. Check it out.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDG0GwDyyD8"]Mind blowing fills[/url]
Enjoy
Jake
PS. stick with until at least show 4

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='623939' date='Oct 12 2009, 01:29 PM']Hi Guys, I'm going to do a transcription of the last piece I played for you on Sat and post it here in a PDF.
In the meantime I found this clip of Jimmy Johnson with Vinnie Collaiuta doing a TV showband in the 80's. It's guys having fun with playing a theme tune but adding some of their own spice.
In exactly the terms I was discussing on Sat Jimmy keeps a monstrous groove going but every now and then pops in a jaw dropping fill. Check it out.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDG0GwDyyD8"]Mind blowing fills[/url]
Enjoy
Jake
PS. stick with until at least show 4[/quote]
I'll have to check the YT later.

Looking forward to the transcription, and seeing if I can get to 139bpm :rolleyes: :)

Thanks Jake, that was such a superb tutorial, and you're a totally natural coach.

Cheers!

Wow, I didn't realize Vinnie was doing drums for Joan Rivers Late Show back then.
Jimmy Johnson is just seriously good. Period.
One of my main reasons to watch Saturday Night Live was to catch the studio band and Will Lee on bass.
(US talk shows always have great house bands. e.g., Kevin Eubanks' band on the current Late Show; drummer Max Weinberg's band on Letterman).
Oops, apologies to Jake for going slightly off-topic there. :)

Edited by Stingray5

Thanks for posting the link Jake.
I find the American TV show bands a great listening experience,
Always great players involved, with some stonking arrangements.

In the Uk apart from the Strictly Come Dancing band,
What are we left with?
4 Poofs and a Piano - Nice!

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='624747' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:04 AM']In the Uk apart from the Strictly Come Dancing band[/quote]

Great band and a fantastic and very up-front-in-the-mix bassist!

[quote name='lowdown' post='624747' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:04 AM']4 Poofs and a Piano - Nice![/quote]

Are they ever in tune?

I hadn't really heard Jimmy Johnson's playing before now, though I knew of him as a low B pioneer with his Alembic - he's great. Quite similar to Anthony Jackson in the way he'll find those big but sparse notes that work (though Jimmy seems to be yet more minimal) and then occasionally throw in a monster fill that fits perfectly. Great!

Further to your workshop Jake I have just dug out my far too unthumbed copy of 'Building Walking Bass Lines' and will endeavour to get somewhere instead of doing my usual wandering off into writing a new song...

Alex

Sorry to go OT.

Alex, the Bassist on Come Dancing is Trevor Barry...
Nice little interview here,
[url="http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139:trevor-barry-bgm-issue-29&catid=43:artist-interviews&Itemid=70"]http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/index.ph...s&Itemid=70[/url]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='624792' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:51 AM']Alex, the Bassist on Come Dancing is Trevor Barry...[/quote]

Thanks, couldn't remember it off the top of my head. Very interesting to hear his different salsa grooves on Saturday. And he's a great example of how if you're really on it with your note choices, tone and timing that producers will want to turn you WAY up in the mix - what better incentive to improve?!

Alex

Ok fellas here it is:
[attachment=34386:Bass_Bash_Groove.pdf]
Here's the thing, I don't have music notation software so I've penned it, so forgive the scrawl. If one kind individual felt like popping it into sibelius I'd be most grateful.

As I said on Saturday it can be played quite successfully at a variety of tempi the best being 104 for swing, for funk 120 works but it really comes into it's own at 138.
The point is to learn it to the extent that you can mess with the form, and as it's a call and response natured thing you can exchange either the bass part or the melody part for notes of your own choice.
I have started on a recording of it. I'll probably do 2 versions, one just 'as written' and one with some improvising. Watch this space.
It's quite a challenging piece at top speed but over all it's meant to be a bit of blowing fun.

Edited by jakesbass

Have you seen this Jake?

[url="http://www.noteflight.com/login"]http://www.noteflight.com/login[/url]

Its 'free' (like heroin, in that they give you something for nothing then ask for cash for the best gear :rolleyes:) and pretty fully featured (I've only looked at the free version, I can give it up if I have to, its just a cold, just say no etc etc).

Just a thought, since as an educator it might be really helpful, esp as its online, and I think you can set up restricted public availaility blah blah blah....

Si

PS Love the sig :)

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='624846' date='Oct 13 2009, 11:56 AM']Have you seen this Jake?

[url="http://www.noteflight.com/login"]http://www.noteflight.com/login[/url]

Its 'free' (like heroin, in that they give you something for nothing then ask for cash for the best gear :rolleyes:) and pretty fully featured (I've only looked at the free version, I can give it up if I have to, its just a cold, just say no etc etc).

Just a thought, since as an educator it might be really helpful, esp as its online, and I think you can set up restricted public availaility blah blah blah....

Si

PS Love the sig :)[/quote]
Thanks for that Si I'll check it out...

Churchill was a sharp witted man....

Here you go Jake... [Finale not Sibelius]
I have left the beams over the rests,
Easier for the novice readers who struggle with the grouping.
Funny how we all hear things from another angle.
To me, it sounds like it is in 4#'s [E]
But then again you wrote it - so it's just me talking out of my ar#e! :)

[attachment=34392:Bass_Bash_Groove.pdf]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='625127' date='Oct 13 2009, 03:52 PM']Here you go Jake... [Finale not Sibelius]
I have left the beams over the rests,
Easier for the novice readers who struggle with the grouping.
Funny how we all hear things from another angle.
To me, it sounds like it is in 4#'s [E]
But then again you wrote it - so it's just me talking out of my ar#e! :)

[attachment=34392:Bass_Bash_Groove.pdf]

Garry[/quote]
Brilliant cheers for that Garry, I must get some software, I was using sibelius on the pc but need to get something now I'm on the mac.
I know what you mean about the key, I just sort of hear it as E7 and A7 with a blues centre for each chord, but 4 sharps would get rid of some of the silly accidentals.
Anyway that finale looks nice....

Ok I've just done a little version of the piece, [attachment=34477:Output_1_2.mp3]
I tried it at the dreaded 138 bpm and after a few takes got it down with only one tiny edit for the very last phrase so it's a bit warts and all and deviates ever so slightly from the written for the odd rhythm or note.
It really is just a bit of fun so I'd welcome some comments. I've added a couple of harmony figures from the high register of the bass just to add a bit of colour but they're panned wide enough to not get in the way.
Enjoy.
Jake

Works for me! Is it easier without a few dozen bassists staring at you? :)

Much as I'd like join in the fun, following your workshop I've resolved to get on with this walking malarkey and am starting simple with jazz blues in various keys. I'm not quite as bad at it as I thought, which is nice, though I just tried the rhythm changes and they totally foxed me. Back to an easier sequence...

Alex